Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do you guys pay for having two new tyres fitted? Ive been quoted £24.99 per wheel (or £10.99 if I bring the removed wheel in by myself) for new tyres. Is this right? My Dad made me fit the tyres and tubes by hand with no tyre levers at all in 1966. He said that you cant even use a kitchen spoon. Took me three hours but I got there in the end. Oh yeh Im buying the new tyres from them as well shouldant they be dowing the fitting for nowt?

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Tyres fitted for free to loose wheels at my dealers, 1 hours labour if they remove the wheels :thumbright:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would always take the wheels only in anyway, I have little faith in them putting them back in carefully, on the AT, engaging the speedo drive correctly is a bit fiddly, aswell as the back disc caliper sometimes, it is easy to think everything is in place correctly, but sometimes it isn't..

Unless you know the person who is going to do the work - I prefer to take care of things myself --

get to KNOW and LOVE your machine...:D

·
White van man
560 Posts
Answering with my tyre trade hat on.

Fitting tyres to a bike, especially tube type takes a lot longer than putting tyres on a car.
The time taken has to be paid for somewhere.

As a business i don't encourage bike tyre sales for this reason.

I try to explain to enquiring customers that a lot of bike shops offer tyres cheap as a loss leader then hit you with a fitting charge.

As a member of this forum i'm happy to help out, pity you're so far away.

The rule with tyres, allways shop around for an all in price.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I always get the dealers to do tubeless tyres and the last time it was £10 to a loose wheel and a tyre you bought yourself or same money fitted totally by them if you got the tyre from them. That was in Daventry. If it's tubed tyres I do it myself but I have to say that some trail type tyres have really hard sidewalls and can be pretty hard to get on, even with rim soap. Trick is have a warm tyre (room temperature), some good levers (not bicycle ones), don't rush, and I usually inflate the tube a little and tuck it in the tyre prior to fitting. This way I find there is less chance of pinching the tube. Changing tyres is like everything else once the anxiety is gone, which it does with practice, it's easily done. I rub a bar of wet soap around the tyre beads, washing up liquid works well but it can also cause rust problems inside the rim. It's always the last four or five inches that are the most difficult but try to get the tyre to fit well inside the rim at the opposite side and it should go on ok. Confidence is all that stands in the way. I have a ghost story about a puncture repair on the Isle of Man. I'll post it in a suitable forum.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
How much do you guys pay for having two new tyres fitted? Ive been quoted £24.99 per wheel (or £10.99 if I bring the removed wheel in by myself) for new tyres. Is this right? My Dad made me fit the tyres and tubes by hand with no tyre levers at all in 1966. He said that you cant even use a kitchen spoon. Took me three hours but I got there in the end. Oh yeh Im buying the new tyres from them as well shouldant they be dowing the fitting for nowt?
I always use the same shop as they are the cheapest around for bike tyres i take loose wheels in and the fitting is included in the price of the tyres. Same shop was £15 cheaper for my Goodrich BFG's than what i could get them for searching around online and then i would need to get them fitted

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have to agree with Treadtrader being as I am in the same line of work.I fit no end of car tyres but the boss won't sell bike tyres at all.The only ones we do are for ourselves and a few mates.I normally charge a packet of biscuits for each tyre.:D

Where abouts are you in Lincolnshire,I am just over the border in Notts.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I always take my bikes to an out of town tyre fitter about 30 miles away. Price wise they are the same fitted to the bike as they are fitted to loose wheels in Edinburgh. The great thing is being out of town there is rarely a wait and by the time I get home they have been scrubbed in on some great roads.

Result all round.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I always take my bikes to an out of town tyre fitter about 30 miles away. Price wise they are the same fitted to the bike as they are fitted to loose wheels in Edinburgh. The great thing is being out of town there is rarely a wait and by the time I get home they have been scrubbed in on some great roads.

Result all round.
spoken like a true scotsman :D :thumbright:

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
local dealer are free to loose wheels or £12 per wheel if on the bike.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
If the wheels are not bling try doing them yourself, so no need to worry about the enevitable cack handed scratch:D

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts

Result all round.
Slightly off topic: Out of interest, where do you go?

Slightly on topic: I fit them myself, though as Treadtrader more or less said, the hassle and time are probably not worth the saving. Normally I get the job done relatively quickly (not as quickly as a professional though), but last time I managed to pinch the tube over and over again :mad: - almost certainly through rushing (trying to get the job done between rain showers now I don't have anywhere under cover to do it). If I find a decent place who'll fit and balance loose wheels for a tenner each I might be inclined to use them (so long as their mark up on the rubber isn't too high of course).

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
£10 or so to fit a tyre not bad pinch a tube yourself thatis more than £10 gone, cos it cost ya 2 tubes. and the cheapest chinese tube is a fiver now
Merv

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
M&P were doing a kit for tyre changing that included the bead breaker, balancer, levers & tyre soap. As I have more than one bike this has soon paid for itself as the local tyre place in Sidcup wanted £25 per tyre for loose wheels using tyres that i'd bought on the 'net (but not flebay). Other shops said £10 per wheel.

Watlings in Swanley were the best as they have bike enthusiasts that look forward to bikes/bikers coming in....good selection of tyres as well.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Slightly off topic: Out of interest, where do you go?
On your side of the water, you ought to go to Strathearn Tyres in Crief. Excellent prices, ride-in-ride-out, and they really know what they're doing with bikes. Like a good bikers meeting place on a Saturday morning. If you turn up on a Triumph, the abuse comes free:D

For anyone in Edinburgh or to the south, Angle Park Tyres in Penicuik (01968 672 947) will fit a tyre to a bare loose wheel, and balance, for £10. (I think it's £15 if there's also an old tyre to remove.) They can supply tyres too but realistically you'll get them cheaper off ebay or moto-tyres.co.uk

·
Registered
71 Posts
how about asking for a cheeky discount .. ?

or always get a mate whos in the motortrade, its always worked for me.

i get the tyres the exact same price they can buy them in for and they get fitted for free :D

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
what, youve bought the tyres from them and they still charge £50 for fitting? that is a total ripoff!
fitting included for supplied tyres in my local, £12 per tyre loose or £15 on the bike if you bring your own.

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Thanks Icenian, that helps a lot!! I'm about to get the worn old beast ready for an MOT (been off the road since November because I had the other half's car to use, but that's about to change...) and get to try the MOT centre around the corner in Leith. When I find someone good I normally stick with them, and now is as good a time as any for trying garages and tyre places.

Davsato - have you tried Pompey Tyres? Their prices weren't bad, and they used to fit new tyres to loose wheels for free (although that might have changed). When I did the Portsmouth-London run every day for over three years I used to be one of their best customers...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts