Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That post about the TA on a track day, and the fact that the SM wheels I had from the XR look a little odd on a TA, got me thinking.

So, grippiest tyres on a 600 TA? (standard wheels: road riding not dual sport...)

My guess is a pair of BT 45s (actually very good tyres: had them on a XBR500, TDM 850, CB-1, and managed to rim them on each...!!)

Any other choices?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Anakee's also get good writeups as a road tyre for transalps, but the BT45's are probably the best you'll get.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I dont think there are that many choices for the Transalp, most will be dual sport tyres.

·
8th Dimension Adventurer
161 Posts
I've been using Avon AM26 Roadriders for a few years and I can't fault them. Cheaper than BT45's, much better wearing (got 11,000 out of my last rear) and plenty grippy enough for commuting in all weather.

D

·
0 Posts
My old 07 Triumph Bonneville T100 had exactly the same size tyres as my XL700VA Transalp. They were made by Metzeler and were a superb road tyre which lasted well.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, Avons are very dear here so it looks like a set of BT45s for the TA, some time in the new year with the worn TKC pair being used as a spare for camping trips into the forest!!

Having said that, I'll probably change my mind 18 times between now and then....

·
Need a job
168 Posts
Well, Avons are very dear here so it looks like a set of BT45s for the TA, some time in the new year with the worn TKC pair being used as a spare for camping trips into the forest!!

Having said that, I'll probably change my mind 18 times between now and then....
G'day warthog,

What kind of mileage do you get on a set of TKC's?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G'day warthog,

What kind of mileage do you get on a set of TKC's?
Well, this TA is new to me and the rear TKC was already worn and doesn't have a lot left in it.

My only experience of TKCs was with a BMW R1150GS. That was a ludicrously over-loaded bike (450kg with riders as weighted on truck scales), two-up over some pretty crappy terrain at times, and my two rears lasted about 4000 miles each crossing South America.

The TA being less powerful, a little lighter, less torquey and not seeing the same abuse, I would think 4.5-5000 miles was possible, unless you are stretching throttle cables at every opportunity.

Others with personal experience on the TA may be able to corroborate.

If you want a dual sport tyre like the TKC, for less cash, seemingly comparable performance and allegedly more mileage, try the Heidenau K60s.

I've had some experience on an XR400 and I know others who swear by them on biker bikes: notably another loaded up BMW: a R1100GS. For the money I could not fault them...

·
Registered
9 Posts
BT45'S for road use... you will not get a better long lasting tyre. I have them fitted to my 96 TA and their great.. transform the handling of the bike.. little bit more expensive but well worth it. Id recommend them all day long.

alex

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi all
Found this article in a recent issue of MCN...maybe of some use if you are considering all the tyre options ;)
Happy New Year......VF600.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have a look at a pair of Mitas E-07's for adv riding. Long wearing, good enough grip on road and nice traction offroad in drier and/or stoney conditions. Only place they fail miserably in is mud; they're crap on that, but all around a good dual purpose tyre if you're doing quite a bit on gravel roads as we do here in NZ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts