Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fitting new tyres on my new to me RD04.
I have gone for Tourances, they seem to have a good rep and in my current financial state are cheap.
Fitting them? I have a local shop ho do it for a tenner the pair, lucky old me.
Question.
Both wheels have those bolt on thingies that clamp the tyre to the rim. Are they neccessary? I remember them being a pain on my old Tenere in Ghana, but did enable me to ride 150 miles on a flat tyre in an emergency.
There is a horrible high speed vibratio, at around 80/85mph that I think is due to front wheel balance and I wonder if the clamp thingy might be causing this.
The other option is a slightly warped disc, but i figure address one issue at a time.
There is a load of balancing weights on the front rim opposite the clamp thingy. My guess the imbalance is due to this.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My opinion only but mine hasn't got them and no problems so I would say you can take them off and the balance weights then see how it rides

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is my plan.
They are good when riding in sand at low tyre pressures, we have recovery for flat tyres and not many deserts around here.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Aren't Tourance tires tubeless?
BTW I have them on my 1150GSA and they suck on everything but tarmac or packed gravel. Sand and soft ground? Forget about that... :toothy9:

Lee

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wont be doing sand and soft ground, that was referring to the clampy things.
I do some gravel roads when going paragliding but only in the dry.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started researching tyres again.
It drove me nuts. But they consistently got good reviews and £130 the pair seemed helpful.
I was not sure about tubes in tubeless tyres but the rear on the bike was fine with one.
Lets hope I can sort out the irritating vibration.
if it is not balance weight related it must be a warped disc.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
What I like with Metzeler's Tourance is that they get great milleage. They last and last. :D

If you are on a budget and want long lasting tires that will fair quite well on and off road, I suggest checking the Mitas E07. Had them on my RD03 for touring France, Spain, Italy and Tunisia's desert and mountains, and I was impressed. And they are cheap...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts