Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having lunch the other day and sat down on the gutter beside my bike in the sun to eat lunch..

Just happened to look at the front tyre and realised it had some cracks in it. Firstly from most of the tread blocks towards the centre of the tyre, but also around the circumference of the tyre. After a very slow ride home, I removed the wheel, rang the bike shop and ordered a new front tyre!

I must say I haven't been that close the tyre since I bought the bike in November last year... Silly me. The bike may have been sitting around for a while before I bought it...

Not that it matters (I don't think) but the old tyre is an Avon Distanzia

The new ones are Metzeller Tourance EXPs.

Nick

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Eeek the metzler tourance I get about six thou plus depending on how many punchers I get, but the EXP's I only just scraped 2500 miles worst tyre I had.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Had two sets of Distanzias and got good mileage from them, but both fronts displayed the same cracks you described. Didn't buy a third set, went for Tourances and am now on my second set, also giving good mileage. (About 10k on rear!)

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
its very important to keep an eye on the tyres all right . I think its comes under daily visable checks . I have to admit I wouldn't be the best but I am better that I was . an old friend of mine god rest him a car fanatic spotted the front tyre of my Kawasaki gpz 900 had canvas pokeing out of it years ago . I was young and dumb at the time and wired to the moon rideing around like a loon without a second thought about self preservation . he probably saved my life . correctly inflated tyres give better grip and prolong tyre life . pressures have to be taken when the tyre is cold so its worth investing in good quality foot pump with an accurate guage . a decent digital guage would be no load to carry either or fill your shed up to much . I am going to buy a decent mini compresser myself soon as im going to get into doing my own tyre changes . im talking about a 20 euro job it will be enough for what I need . I had one before and it lasted a few years I got it for 10 euro when I bought 20 euro petrol . I have changed tyres before years ago its no big deal and it will save me money in the long run a set of leavers and a compresser will only cost maybe 50 euro my 6th tyre change will be for free and any there after that will be too . :thumbup: both my bikes have tubed tyres so it easyer .

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi, my new V7 Varo has tires ready for replacing based on the year as km is very low. Rubbers are 5 years. I am considering the Michelin Anakee 2 or 3, but cant make up my mind. Arrived at this after reading several posts on tires on other varadero forums. I am mostly using the bike on tarmac, with the odd gravel road. However, temperatures here in the north is slightly lower than UK. Any of you experienced Varo drivers tried the difference, do I dare to try the Anakee 3 ... had a bad experience with CB600 and locking front wheel once on "slicks".

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
The best advice I was given was to try different tyres to the ones you're taking off, the reason given was that tyres are continually improving and whats good today might be old hat tomorrow, IMHO you pays your money and makes your choice, some will be good in wet/dry/hot/cold.....some not so good.

I've had the OEM Trailwings on mine since new in 2008, they were good tyres but I wasn't happy with the mileage I was getting, so taking the advise I was given I've changed to metzler tourance - and so far so good, managed to scrape my boots on a fast bend on a recent Alps trip....in the dry!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Have had Tourances on my TA for some years and very happy with them, I find them predictable and good on both dry and wet .. But on this heavier bike was thinking trying something new, not really of fan of Michelin car tyres as I swear to Continental, but ... I'll give the brand a thought for mc tires, and listen to the experienced Vara drivers in this forum and around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts