Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2000 + on road trip coming up soon and just noticed the perishing on my tyres is worse than just a bit on the side wall. They need replacing ASAP.

Now here's the quandry. I can get tyres and have em fitted in days but I don;t want to make a rush decision.

For most of the year they'll be on the road but when I do take them off road it will be the worst the UK as to offer. I need something that strikes a balance near 50/50 without compromising on longevity. I want to do stuff like the Taffy Dakar and similar as well as a a trip to Morrocco and commute. . ... a lot to ask

I've got Avon Distanzias atm and find the back a bit slippy in the wet on road and just as cack on muddy trails.

i keep hearing metzler tourances but they really don;t look like they'd dig in. Conti tkc 80s look like they'd dig in but can;t find much about their on road and lifespan.

Obviously it's a transalp so it's not like I'll be ripping through tyres like a 100occ AT.

Any advice appreciated. I just don;t want to buy tyres then have to put new ones on for a bit of filthy fun down the line. I'm not limiting myself to just the tyres I mention of course.

Edit - leaning towards the Heidenau K60s - not many complaints and lots of recommendations. They seem to tick all the boxes. Will order tonight in the event no one chimes in.

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
I can recommend the Mitas E-07

Fine on the road and good on gravel tracks, I had about 25,000km out a set on a Transalp 600

Alternatively the Heidenau K-60 scout is a similar tyre

Or for a more aggressive off road pattern yet still usable on the road the Mitas E-09

Metzler Tourance is more road going and not as good off road

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've just fitted K60 Scouts to my 650. I've got less than 100 miles on them so far but sub-70mph they're as stable as the Anakee 3s I had on before, confidence inspiring in the wet, not particularly noisy and they coped fine with my 50 mile commute into London and back including hard braking, enthusiastic cornering etc. They should be good in the dirt although I've not had a chance to find out yet other than riding on wet grass (which they do much better than Anakee 3s!).

Note the 'sub-70mph' bit? Above that there's a degree of....not exactly wandering....but the bike doesn't feel as if it's on rails - nothing particularly scary or likely to deteriorate into instability even at....ahem....speeds closer to the bike's limit (research.....) but you can tell they're dual purpose tyres, not road tyres. I don't often ride at those speeds but I'm off to Spain soon, riding with a friend on a 1200GS, and I'll need to keep up on the motorways so it was a slight concern. I have read reviews of the K60 Scouts that say they can take up a 1,000 miles to settle down, though, so I remain optimistic for improvement. Anyway, I reckon after a few more miles I'll have got used to it. The Spain trip will be around 2,500 miles so after that I'll really have formed an opinion.

Be careful when ordering - there's a K60 and a K60 Scout and they are not the same (the Scout lasts MUCH longer). I got mine from Oponeo (Tyres Online » FREE DELIVERY » Oponeo.co.uk) who do excellent prices and free shipping, but they despatch from Germany so you may not get them as quickly as you'd like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - after more research I'm settling on the K60s

Haven't had a tubed tyre in fifteen years!! Trying to find tubes now. i thought it would be as easy as searching for equivelant tyre size. Most seem to be listed in inches?

Oh the faff - more googling for me

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just seen sproggy's reply - good stuff - I'm more confident than before - will click order through now

On the subject of tubes though - will assume I can't reuse so what sodding tubes do I need? Any weird requirements like a particular valve length? Is there a real quality difference between brands - prices seem to jump all over the place

And finally - I have a balancer but stopped fitting my own ages ago as I started riding tubeless - a sod to fit with big levers

Can I do the job myself on the alp even without a centre stand? Clever use of jacks . . .. .

·
Registered
406 Posts
I bought Mefo Sport heavy duty tubes from Zen Overland - reasonable price and good reviews. No special requirements or valve considerations. But the place that fitted the tyres for me (I take loose wheels in) said the original tubes were so good there was no point in changing them. Pity, because I'd have liked the reassurance of HD ones and I never got to see what was in there....

I use front and rear paddock stands - not sure I'd want to do it without paddock or centre stands. Sounds risky. But I'm sure it's possible - where there's a will there's a way!

If you go for the Mefos you need a 17" 4.50 - 5.10 (inch) rear and a 21" 3.00 - 3.25 front (unless you have a 700 in which case you'll obviously need a 19" front).

·
Registered
406 Posts
Like I said:

Be careful when ordering - there's a K60 and a K60 Scout and they are not the same (the Scout lasts MUCH longer).
Despite the similar names they are reportedly very different tyres, the Scout being hugely superior to the 'plain' K60. It's up to you, but you might want to change your order......

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah - me and my haste

Much cheers for the heads up

Note that the K60 Scout tread pattern (two tyres in the centre above, 150/70-17" and 140/80-17") sometimes have a narrow continuous strip down the centre of the tread. This makes the tyre stronger and more resistant to block breakdown, and also adds to longevity for road use.

I'm happy with the less long lived of the two if it gives better off road bite - at those prices unless they chew through in 3000 miles I won't have an issue buying again and will be better placed to assess the real amount of off road use they get.

Cheers for the advice.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Note that the K60 Scout tread pattern (two tyres in the centre above, 150/70-17" and 140/80-17") sometimes have a narrow continuous strip down the centre of the tread. This makes the tyre stronger and more resistant to block breakdown, and also adds to longevity for road use.
That statement doesn't apply to the Transalp-size rear tyres - only the wider sizes intended for heavier/more powerful bikes.

On my 130 rear the center blocks are linked, but the 'link strip' is only about half the depth of the tread blocks. That's probably enough to provide support to them, though, given the power/torque of the bikes they're going to be used on. When the tyre wears down by about 50%, assuming it's still of a shape that's usable, the centre strip will be in constant contact with the road. I wonder how much difference that'll make to further wear and how they ride.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The set I've ordered don't "seem" to have the linked center blocks. I did some scout specific googling and it was a mixed bag. Read one thread that had someone saying the compound they used in the larger tyres was banned by the EU resulting in scarcity for a while.

What kind of mileage are yours on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've emailed them about differences between the two types. They don;t clearly state anywhere I can see the difference and all discussions about differences seem to fade into talk about the center bit but that's not the difference.

I doubt they'll get back to me. Be nice to know!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a response from Heidenau!

Hello,
It can be a little confusing. Originally it was just the K60. Then after receiving feed back and the

need to change the rubber compound in '08 Heidenau decided to update the design. They started to
modify the design depending on the application with the new compound. The sizes for more powerful
bikes ended-up with the central ridge. In general though they changed the depth of tread and a more
rounded profile. The updated versions are called Scouts.

I'm taking from this that my 120 is doesn't have an updated tread and profile after they updated the compound because my bike is just plain weedy :( . . .leave my alp alone!!!!:sad2:

I'll have them fitted next weekend, do a few hundred commuter miles then have 2000 miles over 5 days to cover. Mixture of motorway, B road and wtf roads. I'm sure I'll have an opinion after that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts