Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2011 Transalp 4 months ago & have covered just over 7000 miles so have got to know the bike quite well. Original Trailwings wore out at 5k. Had no problems with them but almost all that mileage was during a long dry spell in England. Have now done about 2K on Battlewings and have had 5 very dodgy moments almost losing the front end on wet roads whilst travelling upright in a straight line. I have maintained the same cold tyre pressure (29psi) on the Front Battlewing as per previous Trailwing. Does anyone know if I should adjust the pressure for the different tyre profile? I've never had another bike that has behaved like this. Apart from that problem, I really like it. Thanks

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Bridgestone recommend 2.1 Bar front and 2.8 Bar rear, I think that equates to 30 PSI and 36 PSI respectively.

·
The Sultan of Bling
1,981 Posts
Bridgestone recommend 2.1 Bar front and 2.8 Bar rear, I think that equates to 30 PSI and 36 PSI respectively.
Handy little converter for bar/psi here

.1 is about 30 but 2.8 is just over 40, seems a bit hard IMPO :confused:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
have had 5 very dodgy moments almost losing the front end on wet roads whilst travelling upright in a straight line
Unless you're braking, banked over or changing direction, the front end requires very little grip to keep on going where it is pointed. Was this in torrential rain with lots of surface water? Maybe there was a bit of camber and you hit some diesel.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you're braking, banked over or changing direction, the front end requires very little grip to keep on going where it is pointed. Was this in torrential rain with lots of surface water? Maybe there was a bit of camber and you hit some diesel.
This was in steady but not torrential rain. I have been back to two of the places it happened for a closer look. No extreme cambers, road a little greasy at one of the locations close to but not on a man-hole cover. The other location had a bit of cracking to the road surface. In both cases the front end wobble was almost 'terminal'. The thing is I''ve been over these spots thousands of times in the last 10 years on different bikes in all weathers as they are on my daily commute. Weird. Doesn't sound like the tyre pressure if it's 30psi vs 29.

I did a fast run in torrential rain and v.strong side winds last week between Brussels & Calais. Plenty of surface water, spray & generally chronic conditions. The TA performed fine at a steady 85-90mph. No twitches or causes for concern. Yet I took it out for a gentle run last Sunday on A roads in showery conditions and almost lost it once at about 40mph whilst setting it up for a left hander. No brakes, steady power. I may just have to put it down to hypersensitivity to any oil or grease on the road surface. A bit worrying though.

Thanks to all for your replies.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
It does sound disconcerting. I agree it's not likely to be a pressure issue as the pressure is close to standard at the front. Are you running 40psi at the rear? Sometimes front issues are a manifestation of stuff wrong at the other end.

I run TKC80's and the 650 has a 21" front wheel so I'm used to exciting handling on tarmac in the wet. I would have expected Battlewings to be reasonable though. Maybe going to a full road tyre like a BT45 will give more wet grip. They'll be pants off-road but at least it won't try to kill you at speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts