Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My CRF1000L now has about 3,000 miles done and although far from desperate, I was hoping the Anakee or Tourance tyre would be available by now, err... no. :(

I am after a set that are roughly 80% road, 20% off road - ish. I do like the idea of going off road on my bike, but the stock tyres are shocking bad at anything other than light gravel. Having said that, most of my miles are tarmac based. I found the Tourances for my old Alp where great, but as I cant get them, I just need a little advice on what you are using. This thread may help other riders choose too.

As far as I can see my choice seems to be:

• MItas E07
• Pirelli Scorpion Trail and Trail II
• Pirelli Scorpion MT90 A/T
• The TCK80's

I guess I want the best of both, be able to lean on tarmac and enjoy those twisty roads, too! And have some confidence in the wet :D

Any recommendations (Good and bad points) appreciated.

Cheers all :thumb:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
You can't lean on tarmac all the way with TKC80's because the front is square sided and you'll run out of tread

Riding in the wet with confidence is a commitment thing most people don't get and will apply to any tyre. Tyres are far more capable than most riders abilities

I have used TKC80s before and they wear out really fast at the front and slide once you lean over too far because the front tread blocks fold inwards

I use MITAS E09 Dakars on my ATs which are a hard compound tyre so last twice as long as TKCs. The tread blocks wrap around the sides of the tyre by another 12mm each side compared to TKC80s so you can lean further over and push harder in corners too

You need a couple of hundred miles to run them in and you need to be a bit gentle in the wet first off but once running they can be pushed too. Smooth riding, no brakes is the key in any riding especially in the wet

I've been so pleased I'm on my 4th set now. It get through 2 fronts to one rear

They are 80% off road and 20% on road and I have no problems riding on the road

Small downside is the block effect of any off road tyres on the road

Up to 30 mph it feel likes when you ride/drive on the motorway rumble strip in your car, a buzz happens about 75 but at 70 OK all day and beyond 75-80 they're OK is short spells solo or fully loaded (seen 3 figures a few times and all OK)

I don't get on with any road biased tyres as I prefer to change direction quickly in corners and like it a bit more loose

Reactions: raymo and Dave H

·
Registered
34 Posts
My understanding is the TKC80 is more biased to off road than 80/20, more 50/50. I'll be fitting the TKC70 to my @ (XRV750) at the next change. They apparently have excellent wet grip and are billed as the combination of the TKC80 off road adventure and trail attack2 on road adventure tyre. If they fit the CRF I'd seriously consider them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My understanding is the TKC80 is more biased to off road than 80/20, more 50/50. I'll be fitting the TKC70 to my @ (XRV750) at the next change. They apparently have excellent wet grip and are billed as the combination of the TKC80 off road adventure and trail attack2 on road adventure tyre. If they fit the CRF I'd seriously consider them.

I did think about the TKC70's but saw this......
grab.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's always difficult when considering personal opinion. I had Conti TrailAttack2s on my last bike and as a road tyre they were great. Confidence inspiring in the wet and good all round performance otherwise. If the TKC70 is as billed, it should be a good tyre.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's always difficult when considering personal opinion. I had Conti TrailAttack2s on my last bike and as a road tyre they were great. Confidence inspiring in the wet and good all round performance otherwise. If the TKC70 is as billed, it should be a good tyre.

Never thought of these, thanks. Anyone been trail riding on them?????

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
My understanding is the TKC80 is more biased to off road than 80/20, more 50/50.

That 50/50 would be dry weather only, the tread blocks are too close together for effective mud shedding abilities

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am using k60 scouts on one twin and Conti escapes on the other noth good tyres scouts are a little more off road biased. Escapes feel very sure on road and they have quite a soft side wall so are wasy to fit (or fix puncture). Just to confuse things further just done two days on CRF at Honda adventure centre they are using Metzeler Karoo 3's. Again more of an off road bias but felt fantastic in the mud and equally sure footed on the tarmac. Both the instructors were raving about them.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am using k60 scouts on one twin and Conti escapes on the other noth good tyres scouts are a little more off road biased. Escapes feel very sure on road and they have quite a soft side wall so are wasy to fit (or fix puncture). Just to confuse things further just done two days on CRF at Honda adventure centre they are using Metzeler Karoo 3's. Again more of an off road bias but felt fantastic in the mud and equally sure footed on the tarmac. Both the instructors were raving about them.

I've heard good things about the Metzelers too, but as I'm more 90/10 on road, the TKC70's are more up my street.

·
Registered
694 Posts

I rate K60 Scouts on my AT very good on the road with loads of grip good in gravel and dirt .... hard wearing as well ...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got excited when I saw the K76.... look like Tourances, but guess what? Yep, they dont fit the new AT :( Dammit.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I'm about the same mileage as you Dave and been thinking about new rubber front is almost gone
quite a few on the crf Facebook page are praising the Mitas E07 they say they need a few hundred miles to bed in but last along time haven't tried them myself and don't know whether to stick to a road tyre or not. too many bloody choices out there :D

Reactions: Dave H

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
E07 is a good tyre. I had about 15,000miles from a set

Decent on road and off, recommended!
Thanks:D I think the Mitas E07's are looking like the ones! I know I want the impossible (great on dry and wet roads, not bad of road) but was disappointed the Tourances and Anakees are not available for the new AT.

Perhaps I need to start doing that Facebook thing and keeping up to date on CRF chat!

I think :confused: I am off on another trip soon and then my stocks will be almost gone, looking like end of Sept / early Oct for the new tyres and the Mitas are very good value as well :thumb:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all,

After much sniffing around, it looks like the Scout K60's and the Mitas E07 are the better duel-sport tyres for the new AT.

A tiny bit put off the Scouts with the centre band; good for wear but not so good in wet or gravel up-right riding (apparently).

Will be changing them end of Sept (or sooner as the front Dumlop is looking sad) will come back on this thread and offer an honest review.

Cheers Everyone,

D

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
The rear is an 18 inch on the new AT so you should be able to get a Mefo Super Explorer rear tyre. This used to be the same tread pattern as the old K60 without the band in the middle. I could not get them for my ATs becaues they only came in 18 inch

Reactions: Dave H

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The rear is an 18 inch on the new AT so you should be able to get a Mefo Super Explorer rear tyre. This used to be the same tread pattern as the old K60 without the band in the middle. I could not get them for my ATs becaues they only came in 18 inch
Ah, sounds good, will check this out, cheers :thumb:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts