Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
TB
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, OK I have the following tyres on my bike at the minute (came with them on so don;t blame me! 90/90/21 and 130/80/17. I picked up a Pirelli MT90 Scoprion A/T 90/90/21 for the front and want get the matching rear tyre. However, the Haynes Manual recommends 130/80/17 but the Pirelli site recommends the 120/90/17 as does the Mynetmoto site? Any thoughts?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
120's were std Honda fitment I have 130 Anakees and so do a few others on here so should be no problem :thumbright:

·
TB
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be doing 99.99999% road riding, commuting to work and the odd bit of longer touring (with maybe 30 mins offroad a year when i'm too stupid to say no to Paddy! Which would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
When mine came it had the Trailwings on it since then I changed them to the Anakees and love them would not even try anything else. :toothy7:

If you do a search there is loads of opinions on tyres I think for all road use BT45s have a lot of support :thumbright:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The 120/90/17 is the standard fitting but 130/80/17 is the preferred fitting. It gives a rounder profile so if on the road the lean angles are smoother.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Fail to understand why anyone should deviate from standard if you are going to use the bike as Mr Honda intended - i.e. 120.
Mr Honda and his many millions poured into R&D surely know much better than any of us lot about motorcycles?

Additionally do not get the cheapest rear available. A tyre with a known bike brand i.e. Michelin/Avon etc will be the first consideration, and only after that will it be down to personal choice - for me BT45s.

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Fail to understand why anyone should deviate from standard if you are going to use the bike as Mr Honda intended - i.e. 120.
Mr Honda and his many millions poured into R&D surely know much better than any of us lot about motorcycles?

Additionally do not get the cheapest rear available. A tyre with a known bike brand i.e. Michelin/Avon etc will be the first consideration, and only after that will it be down to personal choice - for me BT45s.

Mark

First off, if you are referring to my earlier post -

1) The 130 section tyre was recommended by Michelin over the 120. They do know what they are doing.

2) As for cheapest - I meant the cheaper of the two scorpions 120 or 130. I'd never recommend using any tyre just because it was the cheapest.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
217 Posts
The 130 section tyre was recommended by Michelin over the 120. They
do know what they are doing

Indeed so - in so far as recommending a more expensive tyre when it isn't really necessary.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts

Mark
hmmmm, that's assuming that the specification is always the optimum one and not based on any sort of financial consideration or what may be available at what price from the OEMs.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The 130 section tyre was recommended by Michelin over the 120. They
do know what they are doing

Indeed so - in so far as recommending a more expensive tyre when it isn't really necessary.
Could one not say that Honda also factor in price and profits when equipping their bikes out of the factory?

That difference between the two sizes, in terms of cost, multiplied by all the bikes of that type sold would make for quite a motivator....

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

Mark
Only one question why do you not stick to the Trailwings then 'As Mr Honda Intended' ?????????????????:rolleyes::confused:

·
Registered
375 Posts

Mark
That'll be why they fit Trailwings as standard then...? :D

Seriously though, the profile and tread of a given brand of tyre will have at least as much effect on the handling of the bike as whether it's a 120 or a 130. If enough people on here say the 130 works well on the 650, then I'd be prepared to believe them. As for me, I ride a 700 - which incidentally has a 130 rear tyre - and works very nicely (specially since I've changed the Honda-fitted Trailwings and put Metzeler Tourances on).

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
What is the size of the rear tyre on the AT, it uses a similar wheel and rim size?

·
Registered
485 Posts
What is the size of the rear tyre on the AT, it uses a similar wheel and rim size?
On my RD07a it is a 140/80-17.I have got a 130/80-17 sat here that I might use next.I think that the RD04 used a slightly narrower rim with a 130 on it,someone who knows what they are talking about will be along in a bit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts