Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference? Will T (max speed 118mph) warm up quicker than H (max 130mph), grip more, etc, or do they perform exactly the same? Can you mix and match speed ratings front and rear?

H on the front is 20p cheaper than T, but on the back T is £3 cheaper than H. So I was thinking H on the front, T on the back, if this is a bad idea please let me know!

(heidenau K60's BTW)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
For safety I would not mix tyres and would definitely not mix ratings.
If a "T" rating for the rear is £3 cheaper then I would get a "T" rating for the front as well, for the sake of 20p it is not worth it.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
It's fine to mix ratings - just make sure the lowest rating is okay for your use of the bike. Lower rated tyres are generally cheaper although that front one is an exception.

As regards warming up, I was talking with one of Avon's technical guys yesterday regarding speed ratings and, contrary to what I thought, a V rated tyre doesn't take longer to warm up than the same tyre in H rated. My CRM is going to have a set of V rated road rubber on its spare wheels very shortly!

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
There are two views to tyres.
One is never mix.
The other is as long as both tyres are designed for your model bike, then okay.
I don't mind that second approach, because my my rear tyre needs replacing, so will be going to my default Metzeler Tourance; currently Michelin front and back. I will change the front to Tourance when it's warn, but not yet, as mentioned above, both tyres designed for the bike.
BTW, with a top speed of 110 MPH and the safety percentage built into the tyre, it wouldn't matter if it was the V or H.
Back in the day, I used to wonder whether to get the V or H for my old Honda 750 F2, but now I choose a tyre based on a lot of people's recommendation. I had Tourances on my GS and loved them, 30K miles and very pleased.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
There are two views to tyres.
One is never mix.
The other is as long as both tyres are designed for your model bike, then okay.
I don't mind that second approach, because my my rear tyre needs replacing, so will be going to my default Metzeler Tourance; currently Michelin front and back..
The only problem is if something happens and you ned to claim off the insurance, they may take a dim view of mixed tyres.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
The only problem is if something happens and you ned to claim off the insurance, they may take a dim view of mixed tyres.
..only if you've been mixing tyres in an illegal way (crossplies with radial in whichever is the illegal combination). We're talking speed ratings here and they are just not relevant as long as you are operating within the lower of the speed ratings and the sizes and pressures are correct.

There are lots of mixes that are not advisable as they result in the lower grip tyre on the front, but they are not illegal - just bad practice. An insurance company cannot turn arouind and say you're not covered because you have a correctly sized and inflated H rated Michelin one end and a correctly sized and inflated V rated Avon the other.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for all the comments. Will go T front and rear, for the sake of 20p even a really tiny risk isn't worth it. Was mainly wondering if there was a performance difference because I'd read somewhere higher speed ratings gripped better!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Cheers for all the comments. Will go T front and rear, for the sake of 20p even a really tiny risk isn't worth it. Was mainly wondering if there was a performance difference because I'd read somewhere higher speed ratings gripped better!

I believe its the carcass rather than the rubber compound which determines the speed rating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you brought this up I would also ask:

what would be the major downside if I keep the original TW on the front and I replace the rear with a Metzler Sahara 3?

Both within legal size and specification.

·
Registered
167 Posts
TW is tarmac biased, Sahara 3 is 50/50.
When pushed, on tarmac the back end will slide while the front is still gripping....
Safer than the other way round ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'am still using the original front Trailwing ,rear is a BattleWing 502 for nearly 3000km and aldo the Trailwing is a more knobble tyre and the Battlewing more a road type i so far never had any problems with this mix.
End of the month the Trailwing will be repaced for a Battlewing 501 but i will keep the still good enough Trailwing ,never know when i can use it again.

Enjoy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks.

I was a little bit concerned, but as I am no Rossi I guess I can go for that combination (old but usable front TW and new rear Metzler Sahara 3) one season. After that I hope to have more experience and feeling of what I want/need and will change the entire set according to that.

Thank you once again for the input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts