Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here is my question, I have Avon Distanzia tires on my '85 Honda XL600R and they are ok on the street but even in the dry I have be to careful putting the power down out of corners as if the bike is low down the rear gets a bit twitchy!

I use the bike mainly on the road so want a decent set of road tires but I also want to be able to change over to road legal dirt tires for green lane riding so these should be heavily biased towards dirt / gravel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I live very close to a great bike repair shop in London who can change over the tires according to what I will be riding on.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Re: Tires? is there a compromise?

A spare set of wheels would be my solution. A bit expensive to start with, but less hassle. One for road, one for dirt.

And you can always sell them on if you get rid of the bike, and probably get your money back, if they are in similar nick....

If you mean you want a tyre for road and dirt, then the likely suggestions are the Conti TKC, and Heidenau K60.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's good advice, I have never had to buy any parts for this bike, can I get new wheels to fit it, the ones on are old and have gold rims? if so I will keep the old ones for the dirt and have shiny new ones for road use.

·
Snotty lane fan!
160 Posts
Yes, I agree. You can't really compromise on tyres especially on a big powerful bike (not so much of an issue on a 125/200). Get some wheels or maybe just a rear (at first). You could run a dual purpose on the front with a road slick and sooper knobbly for the rear choice. Couldn't recommend any particular tyre as they're so many! I'll be doing the same to my XR400 and just changing the rear tyre (and front sprocket) for on/off road use.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
A friend put Pirelli MT21s on his XR600R when he was having problems with traction with his low mileage OEM Dunrops. He found that he could get traction on the road in the wet but not at silly lean angles of course.

Another rear wheel would help with things...I have a set of 17" rims for my XR400R for when I need to use a bike around town quite a bit. There's then the added bonus of being able to fit some decent road tyres...I use same Pirellis Dragons as on my big road bike. http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/xr/43792-xr400-supermoto-wheels-cheapest-way.html

Do a search for XL/XR600 with 17" fitted...there are a few pages on here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts