Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XL700-VA9 came to me with Mitas Terraforce R tyres. How do they wear. I find that their grip on grass/mud is NIL !!!As these tyres are brand new, how much could I sell the pair for ? I was thinking of fitting Mitas Dakar tyres as the exit from my garage is grass/mud & we , as a group tend to ride gritty/muddy/ horse, cow poo laden Welsh lanes , winter & summer. I would also like to have a bash at green laneing as I have a lot of experience from my Devon days. I guess the Transalp is a great green laneing machine ? How would the Dakar tyres wear on the tarmac ??
Gentlemen. Your comments please !!

·
Hill Rider
3,065 Posts
Anything, and I mean anything, without knobbles is useless on wet grass.

The riding you describe would be, in my humble opinion, best served by either TKC80s or Mitas E09s. The Dakar versions of the E09 are very, very stiff, so don't expect to be able to do a tube change at the side of a trail.
I found the front E09 Dakar that I used on a F650GS twin wore very quickly. The rear stood up well, but as soon as as little as half of the front tyres tread was gone, the tyres carcass was in contact with the road = scary when you've still get several hundred miles to do before you get home from southern Ireland!

A man I know is using a TKC80 front and a E07plus on his south america trip right now and he say's they are excellent in loose, dry dirt/gravel conditions. Just something else to consider.

TTFN,

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve got on my transalp dakar 07 front and 07 plus on rear and im really happy with that, they do job on gravel, on mud they are quite allright , previously I had heidenau k60 scout and the only difference between them is the price
They were also good...
But on the grass is lottery ;)

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
Yes you'll need more knobblier tyres - While I could get my TA out the garden I had a Triumph Tiger with road tyres on and couldn't get it out over winter as it just spun the rear wheel.

Then knobbies can churn up lawn into a mud bath so I laid a grass protection mesh that's now embedded in the back garden.

https://www.ultimate-one.co.uk/grassprotecta-lite-grass-protection-mesh-10mm-thick-1mx10m-p-872

700 TA as a greenlaner will be testing - a tad heavy IMHO something lighter to manhandle and pick up like a XR400 would be better suited.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts