Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought my first AT :blob8:. On the front wheel is an Bridgestone Trialwing knobbly trye and on the back is a bridgestone smooth road tyre but cant think of name. Cant imagine that mixing knobbly tyres and smooth is a great idea either...

Im looking for your opinion on the best knobbly tyres for on road use. I have heard and read the Trialwing is also known as the "Deathwing" :hitler: so Im not too sure im going to put another set of these on d bike...

Any taughts are appreciated... :toothy10:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Mixing tyres is NOT ideal!

Let me be the first in a long line of people to tell you the Continental TKC80 is the knobbly of choice.

It performs really well on the Africa Twin.

Bias is towards off-road, but it is exceptional for a knobby when on road, and the only time it's a bit phased is on cold wet greasy roads.

You will use 2 rears for each 1 front, and I had 4500 miles out of the last pair (which were lightly used second hand) I fitted.

Most importantly, they look "RIGHT" for the AT.

Good link HERE

REMEMBER: The reason most Adventure bikes DO NOT have this kind of tyre fitted from the factory is because the tyre is rated at 99mph, and the bike is capable of greater speeds than that.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi Gillman.

not sure were you are on this island :confused: however you just answered your own question :eek: tkcs are as bob said the knowbley of choice however metzler tourances are an execptional tyre all round and for light off road use.huge milage can be got from them you can have them delivered free anywhere on the island from The Visor Shop - or there are verrrry good prices from a dublin crew at the mo
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...uu85UgFwuR7dfa1Jw&sig2=4HbGcihen6LUlKFRL2pHWQ

Ithink those web addresses are correct but gogle them and youl find them :thumbright:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
The only problem with those is that i would be driving on wet greasy roads 9 times out of 10.

Don't be put off, they are truly a great tyre, and I was just making you aware of their very occasional tendency.
I've had 5 AT's all with TKC80's and I've only had a butt clenching moment twice, and on both occasions the tyre was well past it's best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do prefer the look of the Continental TKC80 it would look good on the AT. The metzler tourances look like a bit too smooth.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Also there are MITAS and Heidenau K60 Enduro - the latter I use all the time

There are many recent postings on these

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Michelin Anakee 2
3 set trans Euro touring - I live in Wales where it has been known to have a drop of rain and it sometimes falls on small greasey roads!!!

Stable load of grip good compromise

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't be put off, they are truly a great tyre, and I was just making you aware of their very occasional tendency.
I've had 5 AT's all with TKC80's and I've only had but clenching moment twice, and on both occasions the tyre was well past it's best.

Do you know of any place that has a good deal on this tyre.?

·
Registered
398 Posts
:D i CAN SEE THAT FROM YOUR SIG :D

where abouts ??????????????

I am based in ireland.

C

·
0 Posts
Front and back Heidenau K60 shipped to Ireland, 138.29 euros.

Front and back Metzeler Tourance shipped to Ireland, 198.75 euros.

Motorradreifen / online auch über / Polo / Hein Gericke / motorcycle tyres pneus pneumatici gomme neumaticos motorbanden mc däck motorrad reifen mp renkaat

Cotters are actually the same price on the Tourance at the moment so they might be best if you're in Dublin or near, and don't want to wait 3 or 4 days for delivery from mynetmoto.

I've used both types, and out of the two I'd personally take the K60 every time, even disregarding the fact that it's a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Oh yeah im new to this :toothy10:.. Im in Saggart Co Dublin..

:D no worries,I am a northsider for me sins :rolleyes:
there are a lot of recomendations for tyres I dont use the at off road,cottors gave me a quote of€177 for the tourances a good price by any standard,havent bought tkc's in Ireland so not sure of the price there is a thread on hear on the Heidenau K60 search in the search bar on the home page will bring it up mixed reports:confused: on them but as cbrPaddy says they are cheap.

I think I have 2 pairs of the tkc's in the garage 1 new pair and 1 pair just scrubbed in and were taking off when we had the wheels taking off to be respoked and went back to the tourances as the winter was aproaching,if you decide on the tkc's and have any difficulty getting them sorted give me a shout and we can sort something if its any help.there are 6 of us that tip around together and have varas and at's so help each other out Iam on 0863859565 if I can help
Cheers,

Tony K

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:D no worries,I am a northsider for me sins :rolleyes:
there are a lot of recomendations for tyres I dont use the at off road,cottors gave me a quote of€177 for the tourances a good price by any standard,havent bought tkc's in Ireland so not sure of the price there is a thread on hear on the Heidenau K60 search in the search bar on the home page will bring it up mixed reports:confused: on them but as cbrPaddy says they are cheap.

I think I have 2 pairs of the tkc's in the garage 1 new pair and 1 pair just scrubbed in and were taking off when we had the wheels taking off to be respoked and went back to the tourances as the winter was aproaching,if you decide on the tkc's and have any difficulty getting them sorted give me a shout and we can sort something if its any help.there are 6 of us that tip around together and have varas and at's so help each other out Iam on 0863859565 if I can help
Cheers,

Tony K
Thanks Tony appreciate that. :thumbup: Im going to do a bit more scouting around before I make up my mind. The tourances's do look like they offer more grip on tarmac but the tkc's look the part on the at. tis a tough call..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your help everyone. I went for the Metzeler Tourance's headin on a trip to Galway on 27th so will put these tyres to the test

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cool. I got a pair of Tourances on mine ('02 @) at Cotter's the weekend before last. Great service. Well scrubbed in by now. Very happy, I am! :thumbup: Enjoy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts