Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a new rear tyre. Mine is now worn to legal limit on the rear TKC80.

Question is what tyre to replace it with? What are my options?

My front is fine - knobbly, can I mix and match different types if needed?

I got the @ to go trail riding so should I stick with the TKC80 or are there any other options. I cant remember how much tread there was when I bought it but Ive since done 1500 miles so cant judge how much wear I have given the tyre. There has been several trails where the back wheel spun thus increasing the wear no doubt.

How many miles do people expect from a TKC80? There are no decent trails local, nearest ones about 30 miles away. So my riding will include up to 30 boring motorway miles there each time I go out. Plus another consideration is my planned trip round Scotland - so that will include say approx 2000 miles road use.

Open for options if there are any. So to recap, its mainly off road use I want, but also something suitable to get me there on the tarmac and not wear out too quickly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd say metzeler tourance nice grip and comfort...good all rounder... you said you are going to scotland... 2k miles..But I'm pratically just on the road...so you know where my opinin came from...;)
I'd expect around 4k miles froma tck80, but a lot of noise and vibration on the tarmac...where they will wear much quicker thana tourance...

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Michelin Anakee 2 good grip 6000mls wear Nd great road manners

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
The road biased tyres won't go where you have been riding Mike. I've ridden several of those trails on both the TKCs and the K60s. Pete was with me with Anakees and really struggled for grip to the extent that we had to abandon some of the routes as they did not offer enough grip

TKC80 again - I eeked out 4,000 miles from these

K60 Enduros like I have

Mitas EO9s Dakar (similar to TKCs) or EO7s similar to the K60s

Metzeller Karoos (these will wear out faster than TKCs

Trelleborg do a military tyre as well T-644 Army Special

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wot paul sez,
I tried a dry grassy field on a part worn tourance, it was useless, and the anakees I have just fitted arnt much better , great on the tarmac but ,only nobblies work offroad. IMO all these road trail tyres just look right for a big traily ,part of the image,stick with nobblies.
Lee

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Metzeller Karoos (these will wear out faster than TKCs)"

Thats very true. Quite a lot faster. Otherwise they are good.

Do any of those other offroad tyres last better than the TKC80s?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Just worn out a rear Avon Distanzia in about 3000 miles nice looking tire but i never liked Avons so ordered a tkc 80 as i have a front in the shed ready to go on
Something to remember when fitting tyres to your bike these off road type tyres are not recommended for them as the speed rating should be H (130mph) and having an accident with them on may effect your insurance claim:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts