Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sorry to report but the Ubley Drove days have been cancelled with immediate effect.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
This is a place holder post to tell you what I'm doing about booking new Ubley dates.

For those that don't know this is an off-road course near to Bristol that offers a full day of off-road riding on varied terrain. It's ideal for beginners (unless it's wet!) and suitable (just!) for bigger trail bikes.

One concern I have at the moment as the numbers were growing is some sort of liability insurance. So at the moment this is stopping me whilst I make some enquiries to ascertain the cost and whether I can cover that without making the day stupidly expensive.
I'd hate to think that if someone injured themselves I then got sued, so I'll look to indemnify myself against that in some way.
Ask Bikesafe and Carole Nash. They May at least point you in the right direction.

Does the Mag subscription not cover us anyway? - BTW I got a renewal notice about that. I assume you got it too.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ace, really enjoyed the ubley day last year, hope to get on a few this year :)

Can we not sign some sort of waiver? As I understand it*, unless you're under 18 this should work (though not sure what'll happen about any under 18's....)

*I fully reserve the right to be wrong :D

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Signed pre-ride disclaimers should do the job. I'm sure there must be a legal bod on the forum somewhere to help with the required weasel wording.

Dates ASAP would be appreciated Dave before all the trips to the in-laws and holidays get booked :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Why havent they been needed before?? If you break a leg out trail riding its an accident and no one can be sued isnt this the same situation. Good to see more dates hopeful... its a great day out. Lets just hope Im off:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I understand your concern, Dave. Maybe someone here can advise on the legal situation and whether a signed disclaimer would remove the problem. Otherwise maybe there should be an agreement that if someone is injured and claims against you they'll receive a "visit" from club "well wishers"... (Only kidding!)

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the quotes I have are stupid money.
Several hundred pounds per event, I'm not sure what I was expecting!

I'm not sure that any legal disclaimers would stand up in a court of law, and mitigate against someone trying to claim damages from myself or the landowner. Say if god forbid someone broke their neck whilst on an event like this and ended up paralysed, that individual would then be looking to get as much recompense as possible I would have thought through whatever channels, and they would basically be completely uninsured.

It also makes me wonder that I should have some form of liability insurance for our national meet as well.

I'll book the dates anyway.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I'm not sure that any legal disclaimers would stand up in a court of law, and mitigate against someone trying to claim damages from myself or the landowner.
I'm not surprised at the quote for hundreds of pounds. If a disclaimer is correctly and clearly worded, I'm pretty sure that it would provide indemnity.

Come on you legal people. Where are you when you're needed?

Good man :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
speaking from a purely personal point of view, i am self employed so i wont be doing anything too serious, my son is now over 18, so he can look after himself, and i know that as for my mate martin, (in silver van), one son is over 18 and the younger one, if he did break himself would get a clip round the ear and told to not be so silly, and martin would not even dream of suing anyone, as we have had these discusions lots of times before, where sports and pastimes are being outlawed because of this compensation culture we seem to have inherited.
infact my other mate kelvin did actualy hurt his ribs last time he rode and was off work for a week, (he is self employed as well), he did not even think about any compensation for it.
on a legal note i do not think disclaimers actualy mean anything, but i am no expert.
shaun

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I think someone suing would have to prove negligence. They can't just say, "I injured myself and you're to blame." Provided you take reasonable safeguards and point out any particular dangers to participants I believe you would be secure. I wish someone from the legal profession would chime in though.

Oi! Where are you?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Well the quotes I have are stupid money.
Several hundred pounds per event, I'm not sure what I was expecting!

I'm not sure that any legal disclaimers would stand up in a court of law, and mitigate against someone trying to claim damages from myself or the landowner. Say if god forbid someone broke their neck whilst on an event like this and ended up paralysed, that individual would then be looking to get as much recompense as possible I would have thought through whatever channels, and they would basically be completely uninsured.

It also makes me wonder that I should have some form of liability insurance for our national meet as well.

Why don't you just tell everybody what date you are going and then if people turn up to meet you there, you haven't actually booked anything and they all turned up voluntarily no blame can be put on you it people choose to meet you at a certain destination

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
The owner of the track (North Somerset MSC?) should have insurance. Has anyone suggested that XRV.org needs separate insurance merely for pointing riders in the direction of a facility? Where does the idea that we need insurance come from? Data! I need more data!

·
Registered
207 Posts
sorry,
but n,som msc do not own the land, they rent it on an event only basis, as quite a few other clubs use it as well, not just bikes.
i wish more clubs owned their own land, that would be fantastic.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The owner of the track (North Somerset MSC?) should have insurance. Has anyone suggested that XRV.org needs separate insurance merely for pointing riders in the direction of a facility? Where does the idea that we need insurance come from? Data! I need more data!
As has been said the land is owned by farmer who does not want the hassle of organised events, so lets us use the land without payment, but we make a donation each time to them which practically is everything that I charge people.
I'm not worried about broken legs and bikes, they can be mended, I'm concerned about someone breaking their neck and needing life long care.
Then they are going to need as much money as they can to manage their condition, it's at this point that someone however well meaning they were before, may turn to sue anyone possible. Even if that person had personal insurance the insurance company would as sure as hell be pursuing anyone they could to reclaim their money.
So whilst the chance of this happening is quite remote the impact of this happening to possibly myself or the land owners is massive.

So I need to protect myself and the land owner from any claims. In other words each rider rides at their own risk and absolves me and the land owner of any responsibility whatsoever.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
As has been said the land is owned by farmer who does not want the hassle of organised events, so lets us use the land without payment, but we make a donation each time to them which practically is everything that I charge people.

NOt quite the reason,( farmers are a shrewd bunch never seen a poor one yet) we have the problem down here and the reason is if farms do more than 9 motorsport events a year on their land they loose their farming subsidies as the land classification changes. We have a few farms down here that allow the use of there land for 4x4 practise / competiton and bikes moto-x enduro etc they are getting fewer and fewer. Also some disease which is breaking out in the woods is restricting what we can do

1 - 20 of 118 Posts