Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new one today. On the way home, filtering through traffic, found a clear bit and went to shift in second to nip past the queue. Clutched it and found that I couldn't toe the lever up. Gave it a mighty go and after a heavy "chonk", it finally shifted up. CAme up to the light and tried to shift into neutral so I could lean over and have a look. Nothing doing. No neutral to be found. Lever kept chonking up and down between 1st and 2nd with nothing in between. Got home alright though shifting was still a battle. Spent 10 minutes outside the house trying to get it into neutral. Again, no joy.

Any ideas, anyone? It's been fine up to now(apart from a bit salt stiff).

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Is it the clutch?
I have this problem when the clutch is too tight.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is, it tightened itself. I'll check tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My AT has always shifted hard(though not as badly as my SuperTenere) but yesterday was unusually rugged. A bit disconcerting as well since it's my only transportation. Taking it in to my meccy to mount my new TKC80'S(woo-hoo!!) but will have a (light)service done as well. I'll have him check it all out. Hate having to pay for simple servicing but I hate taking my bike apart in the street even more(no garage or off-street space).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wich oil are you using?

Never had that problem with the @, but with an enduro bike, i used a thick oil because i use it in desertic/sandy areas (in order to bear the heat). The neutral was dificult to find sometimes!!! in cold nigths i had to have someone pushing the bike in order to "unglue" (?) the gear plates!!!!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I never had particular problems with the AT's gearbox, although it seems to switch gear more smoothly on some days than on others. It's almost human :wink:
Things like oil (I run cheap-ish but excellent Halford 10W40 mineral for motorcycles), temperature, too much free play on the clutch cable and even a too tight / too loose drive chain seem to have some influence on gear-change and finding neutral.

Alternatively, plan a trip to Switzerland to find neutral.
OK, I'll get me coat now :wink:

Good luck, I hope it is nothing serious.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, the ol' Switzerland joke. Some things never go out of fashion :D Running super-duper official Honda-approved 10W40. Going to have a rummage round AT's innards this afternon while there's still light to see if there's somnething obvious. Whenever I have bike trouble, 9 times out of 10 it's something stupid that makes me go "DOH!"

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Can you do it whilst moving (like putting it in neutral just before coming to a halt)but have trouble when stopped unless the engine is cut?If so it's just incorrect clutch adjustment .

G

·
Robster said:
Simon said:
I think thats about my only problem with my @, is that i really struggle to find neutral.
Rev to about 3000rpm with your clutch lever held in and it'll drop into neutral quite easily. I know what you mean though, it can be a right arse.
Must try that next time the bike is on the road. Its supposed to be off the road for the winter but you know what its like. I just love it so much i can't stop riding it. I have come up with the best solution though - send you seat away to G.A. Wells for reworking and then you can't ride it!

·
Registered
241 Posts
GeoBloke said:
Going to have a rummage round AT's innards this afternon while there's still light to see if there's somnething obvious. Whenever I have bike trouble, 9 times out of 10 it's something stupid that makes me go "DOH!"
So :?: :?: Solved the problem :?:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope, not yet. Still just as stubborn today. Still no neutral either, moving or at a standstill. Tried adjusting the clutch. The noise it makes when shifting up or down sounds really bad. It's always clunked into gear but this is much worse than usual. I blame all the city driving I do on the way to work. There's no two ways about it. I have to buy a second bike. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts