Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't visited the sceptered isle for a few years now but next sunday I'm going to have to drive the whole family from here (2hrs south of Paris) to a godforsaken hole (publicity says picturesque village) on the north norfolk coast. being out of touch with uk traffic conditions i'm wondering how long it's going to take me to get from Folkstone to Happisburgh? I know what mappy & all that say but they don't account for traffic (or a pair of 2yr olds & a 7yrold:rolleyes:)

I reckon about 4 to 4 &1/2 hrs?

that's gonna be about 10 hrs in the car with the kids...whooopeee.....not!

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
" Are we there yet?/ I want the toilet/ Are we there yet?/ I don't feel well/ Are we there yet?/ (sounds of fighting)...Are we there yet........."
" Are we there yet?/ I want the toilet/ Are we there yet?/ I don't feel well/ Are we there yet?/ (sounds of fighting)...Are we there yet........."
Are we there yet?/ I want the toilet/ Are we there yet?/ I don't feel well/ Are we there yet?/ (sounds of fighting)...Are we there yet........."
Are we there yet?/ I want the toilet/ Are we there yet?/ I don't feel well/ Are we there yet?/ (sounds of fighting)...Are we there yet........."

Happy memories....:):rolleyes:

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Depends on the M25 I reckon. If it's normal traffic add another hour on :D. Do the sensible thing and find a route that avoids it.

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Off topic - Mom do you get your dancing ladies from the same place as BobA, if so where ?

On Topic - add another hour avoiding the potholes, would it not be better to ferry to Harwich or Lowerstoft ? On second thoughts that's a 6 and a half hour crossing, Friday night M25/A12 is going to be really busy, but I guess you know that !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Depends on the M25 I reckon. If it's normal traffic add another hour on :D. Do the sensible thing and find a route that avoids it.
I agree, add an hour for the dartford tunnel. The rest of the journey should be as per. Now, if you were on a bike ......;)

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Off topic - Mom do you get your dancing ladies from the same place as BobA, if so where ?

On Topic - add another hour avoiding the potholes, would it not be better to ferry to Harwich or Lowerstoft ? On second thoughts that's a 6 and a half hour crossing, Friday night M25/A12 is going to be really busy, but I guess you know that !

by the look of the bottom left corner its off a Disney channel :D:D

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wot, even on a sunday?

an J, they don't yet run the tunnel shuttle through to Lowestoft, & three young kids & a vomiting wife on a ferry is not my idea of fun. (though between that & 10 hrs in the car...)

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Happisburgh? Has anyone explained how to pronounce it?

Bear in mind, there are very dual carriageways in Norfolk (and no motorways).

It'll take you at least 90 minutes from Ipswich, which is about 130 miles from Folkestone.

The Dartford Tunnel can be a pig if you hit it the wrong time and the M25 is horrid whatever the time.

The A12 is dull and boring. You'll probably leave it at Ipswich, but the A140 from Ipswich to Norwich has a maximum of 50mph limit all the way to Norwich (except when it's 40mph or 30mph).

Look on the bright side. When you get back home, you'll realise why we all come to France when we want decent roads!

Oh, and we've had a couple of days of snow, so the traffic is moving really slowly at the moment...

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Just checked Multimap. It shows your route to the Norfolk coast is via Ipswich and then Norwich. Bad luck.

The M11/A11 from London to Norwich is further. It's motorway and then dual carriageway for much of it (the only road out of Norfolk that's dual carriageway is the one to London), but it's not much quicker.

Purely by coincidence, I'm heading the other way - to Normandy - Thursday night!

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Journeys are as much a state of mind as anything else. If you set off expecting to do 70 mph and take 6 hours it will seem like a nightmare when you never get past 60 and it takes 7 hours. But if you anticipate doing not much more than 60 and it taking 7.5 hours your 7 hour journey will seem pleasant and that you actually arrived early.

Seriously erradicate all thoughts of achieving average speeds anywhere near what you might get in France - halve them and double your time. Then you can be pleasantly surprised.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well thanks for those cheery prognostics guys, Win-xp the DVD player is ready to go & madame Moon works in the local pharmacy...:thumbup:

Jaqueslemac, I had't thought of the A12 as I used to always run up the M11 A11 to my parents in Swaffham, if I go that way at least I know the way as far as Norwich, I havn't done the Ipswich route for about 15 years...

as for speeding, do you think they're capable of tracing french plates now? They never used to be. though I suppose i won't be able to overtake anyway, you lot all driving on the wrong side of the road 'n all.

Judging by the reports coming through of the snow in northern france & kent, I maybe better set off now...?:rolleyes:

now, where's me safehouse list for the south & east of england? standby for incoming...

·
Registered
87 Posts
"godforsaken hole" eh!! Now that is no way to describe where I live.

We don't get too many cars in Happisburgh with French number plates so you will be easy to trace.

For all those unfamiliar with "picturesque" there are lots of aerial photos of Happisburgh at www.happisburgh.org.uk

Seriously, good luck with the journey I've done Kent to here many times and usually find M25/ M11 the best er sorry, the least bad.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"godforsaken hole" eh!! Now that is no way to describe where I live.

We don't get too many cars in Happisburgh with French number plates so you will be easy to trace.

For all those unfamiliar with "picturesque" there are lots of aerial photos of Happisburgh at www.happisburgh.org.uk

Seriously, good luck with the journey I've done Kent to here many times and usually find M25/ M11 the best er sorry, the least bad.
yay, there ARE human life forms there then...

Green Opel (Vauxhall) Zafira on frog plates, is there a pub?

I think I had decided that the M11route was the lesser of two evils, at least I know the way as far as Barton mills :rolleyes:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Blast me boy, course there's human life form here! Bin 'ere for about 750,000 years. No need fer concern me luvly an don't you go a worryin, pay no regard to them ole Lundin boys modern science and shotguns have taken care of many a problem round Norfik. You wont be a seein too many folks with one eye in the middle of the old forehead nor many with two thumbs on each hand nor none of them ole webbed feet!!!

Best you get familiar with the lingo afore arrivin Happisburgh is pronounced 'Hazeboro'. Any reference to 'Happys burg' could result in banishment.

OK enough of that it would be good to meet up and have a beer if that's possible while you are here, just let me know and I will PM you my contact details.

Have a safe journey my friend and let's hope we can meet up.

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Just arrived in Normandy where it's been snowing heavily. There are drifts a couple of feet high, although the roads are clear.

We're back Monday night, Moon, so if you fancy meeting up for a beer (one of the things I really missed when living in Normandy!), send me a PM too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts