Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully got TFL to exempt their bikes from the new ULEZ charge?

In Dec TFL said my XL650 was exempt from the charge and their "database would be updated to reflect this".

So....The ULEZ charge starts in just 3 weeks and their database still shows my bike as being liable for the charge

Has anyone else had any dealings with TFL about this???

·
Registered
809 Posts
Have a search for ULEZ as there's already been a thread or two on it.

In summary bikes generally newer than 2007 are okay. My 2001 TA 650 failed certification. You need to email Honda UK with details of your bike and they'll send you a document with their listed certification figures - if OK and scrapes in as compliant then forward Honda's doc to TFL/ULEZ bods.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, i have done all that and been told by TFL that all is ok, yet their database still says the bike is not compliant

Have a search for ULEZ as there's already been a thread or two on it.

In summary bikes generally newer than 2007 are okay. My 2001 TA 650 failed certification. You need to email Honda UK with details of your bike and they'll send you a document with their listed certification figures - if OK and scrapes in as compliant then forward Honda's doc to TFL/ULEZ bods.

·
Registered
809 Posts
"i have done all that and been told by TFL that all is ok"

Make sure that's in writing if you subsequently have any problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"i have done all that and been told by TFL that all is ok"

Make sure that's in writing if you subsequently have any problems.
Ive done exactly the same for my 650 (2001) and got the same letter but I’m also not showing on a ULEZ check today. Perhaps they will only update at the last minute. If they send me a fine I’ll just send them a copy of their own letter.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, me too. although you can bet while you are waiting for any fines to be cancelled you will receive letters from tfl and/or debt collection agencies. that's hassle i could do without

Ive done exactly the same for my 650 (2001) and got the same letter but I’m also not showing on a ULEZ check today. Perhaps they will only update at the last minute. If they send me a fine I’ll just send them a copy of their own letter.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Looking at the letter which begins you will not to pay ULEZ charge - which then states it has "no legal liability or responsibility of its accuracy" before at the end it states "you will still need to pay the charge (if applicable to your vehicle).

Again make sure you email Honda UK and get their letter as complimentary & backup evidence of the bike meeting applicable emmisions criteria for exception. Just so you have info to hand to forward if you suddenly get ticketed.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5 days to go... and the ULEZ database has STILL not been updated...

either they are leaving it until the very last minute, or all those people (like me) who have been told their bike passes, will end up with fines

·
Registered
138 Posts
DS99 if I was you I wouldn't go in to low emissions zone yet as the whole thing promises to be shambles and I bet it will be left to you to chase the tickets while TFL tries to sort itself out.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to TFL yesterday and was told they are still planning to update the database before the ULEZ starts, but....if they don't update it, you can still drive in the ULEZ, you will receive a fine, and you will have to appeal it by sending them a copy of the letter you got from TFL

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and....

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2019/march/ulez-test/

[h=1]ULEZ lifeline for older bikes[/h]

Published: 27 March 2019

1 of 3

Riders of older motorcycles in London have been handed a lifeline thanks to a new TfL-approved emissions testing centre being set up that should see many older bikes be exempted from the upcoming ULEZ (Ultra Low Emissions Zone) charge.
On April 8, the Capital introduces the new ULEZ in a further bid to improve air quality. To enter this zone, all motorcycles which are not compliant with Euro3 (ie made pre-2007) will have to pay £12.50 per day.
[h=2]Is my old bike going to cost more to ride in London?[/h]Not necessarily. As TfL are currently only intending to crack down on vehicles with excessive NOx emissions and many pre-2007 bikes actually produce less than the 0.15 g/km limit TfL have set, so older bikes could be exempt as long as owners can prove their low NOx emissions.
Some bikes were tested for this when manufactured but many were not, so until now there was no way of proving a bike’s emissions were under the limit. Now, however, Riverbank Motorcycles, which is the only TfL-approved facility for testing bikes, has removed that problem.
[h=2]How does it work?[/h]It’s been set up by John Rusby and Neil Freeman at Riverbank Motorcycles just by the London Olympic Park. It’s similar to a motorcycle dyno, however they have had to source new exhaust gas measuring equipment and develop their own test that meets the rigors of the emissions standards.
Bikes are placed on the dyno, run through the test three times, which involves idling, acceleration and deceleration, and an average is then taken. Much like an MoT, the result is a straight pass or fail.
“Well maintained, properly set-up and cared-for bikes stand a much better chance of meeting the standard and passing the test,” says Freeman. “However, there are certain problems that will guarantee a fail; such as leaking inlet manifolds or badly fitting air filters.”
If a bike passes the test, the results are uploaded straight to the TfL database resulting in an exemption. But even if a bike fails it’s not the end of the world. Sometimes simple maintenance is all that’s needed to get the bike within the correct levels. Although, even then, not all bikes will be able to meet the standards.
For more information, or to book a test for your bike, go to www.nationalemissionstestcentre.com The tests costs £175.

·
Registered
8 Posts
DS99 if I was you I wouldn't go in to low emissions zone yet as the whole thing promises to be shambles and I bet it will be left to you to chase the tickets while TFL tries to sort itself out.
I am on the same boat with Dave DS99 on this, my bike is still not shown as exempted in the database despite the email back from TFL confirming so. From next week on I am planning to use public transport to go to work (and possibly pay the charge a couple of days a week) until their database gets updated.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they assured me on the phone that as long as you have the letter from tfl, you will not pay the charge, but i expect if the database is not updated in time, you can expect warning/fine letters until you are on the database....

·
Registered
809 Posts
As I pointed out earlier in the letter (over on Pg. 1) which begins "you will not need to pay ULEZ charge" - which then states it has "no legal liability or responsibility of its accuracy" before at the end it states "you will still need to pay the charge (if applicable to your vehicle)."

I'm not a legal bod but it does seem contradictory and can understand folk have misgivings over any assurances in the implementation of the bureaucratic administration of the scheme.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ULEZ starts tomorrow and their database has still not been updated to show that my bike passes, despite them telling me 4 months ago that my bike passes

what a shambles

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/ulez-could-be-open-to-a-legal-challenge-from-motorcyclists/

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) are advising that motorcyclists who have gained the correct exemption documentation and an email confirming they are exempt should ignore TfL’s checker and NOT pay the charge. In a statement, MAG said, “Our advice is that, if you have received a confirmation letter from TfL stating that your bike is exempt, you should ignore the online checker. In these circumstances DO NOT pay the charge.
“In a worst case scenario, you do not pay the charge and then receive a fine, please do get in touch with us as we will be delighted to help fight the case through TfL complaints procedures and if necessary the courts. Make sure you keep the TfL letter confirming your exemption as you then have a water-tight case.
“From the comments made by TfL, we believe it will be much harder to reclaim the money after it is paid than to contest any fine. TfL in their “fair and just” manner have stated that they will NOT refund any payments already made if you get your bike registered as exempt after 8th April. No doubt that will be their position if you make a payment simply because you believed the online checker.”

1 - 20 of 30 Posts