1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
It works Chris......now get to the blackmail material...... I need the money..:hitler:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wee Jack was wrong.

He said it was raining, dark and miserable in Scotland.

In fact it is great. We have had blue skies and sunshine for most of the time. The campsite is ace – shops, pubs, restaurants and a chippy all in waking distance – thanks Lowflyer. We also have a fantastic view, particularly as the sun rises and sets. And the roads…..well, the roads are just out of this world.

I started out on Wednesday. I had a meeting in Kings Cross so, first, I have to thank London buffoon of a mayor, Boris Johnson, for one of the few sensible decisions he has taken in opening up red route bus lanes to bikers. That meant the Old Kent Road and others were open to me. I could easily have taken a couple of hours in traffic with my panniers on. At one point a black cab pulled up next to me and, staring at my luggage, asked where I was going, and then, when I replied, in dismay asked: “and for how long?”

Maybe I have overpacked.

As I was chairing the meeting we managed to finish over an hour earlier than expected so I was out and on my way before 2pm. Made it to Windermere before 7.30 for a meal with my friends and comfy night’s sleep. Up at 6 to do my two hours early morning news writing, which I again finished a bit early. I was out the door at 8am trying to reach the services south of Carlisle to meet the north-west posse before 9am.

I pulled in at one minute to, only to be told by some other bikers: “Are you looking for a load of people on the same bikes as you? They left ten minutes ago.” Austen (my long-lost brother, apparently) insists they were in the petrol station until 9am. Not knowing that, I got a cuppa and shouted to the empty car park “Oh brother where at thou?”

A phone call home and another to wish my dad happy birthday, followed by fuel, and I was on my way at 9.30, determined to catch them up. Out on the motorway my sat nav told me the next turning was in 113 miles. About 120 miles later (an hour and a half), just north of Erskine Bridge, and I pulled into a garage, fuelled and stood about chatting to a couple of bikers. They drove off and, lo and behold, Austin, DC, Hudders and the Vaders pull in. Vader had insisted on stopping for another coffee before Glasgow and I must have passed them in the services.

After that we had a great ride, led by Austin, picking up Bandit at our lunch stop.

We then nearly had the biggest xrv crash of all time. Austin, driving the whole time with Hudders attached by an invisible bungee (well he was close to Austin’s rear wheel it looked like that) overtook a car (with Hudders still glued to him), suddenly realised he should have turned left, banged on his indicator and started to turn. DC, next in line, had by no started to overtake the car too. Austin saw him coming and managed to pull out of the turn, but Hudders was also turning next to him. The three of them came within a gnat’s whisker of an almighty crash. DC did actually hit Austin.

The three of them slammed on the anchors and, with the panniers altering the balance, did a three-man synchronised wobble before coming to a halt. They swayed like three one-legged drunks in a gale.

The car they had overtaken came to halt behind them wondering if all bikers were this mad. Vader also missed the turn, probably laughing so much and only Bandit and I actually turned at the right time.

It was a long but enjoyable ride after that, arriving at the campsite about 5pm, to find several people already there. Pigugly and Vanessa had met at the national two years earlier so were already celebrating their anniversary with Champagne. It was an omen on the drunkenness to come.

I ducked out early as I had to get up and do my work, from my laptop, at 6am. That also meant I am camped a little way away from the crowd so I can access the electricity, which the campsite have very kindly said I can use for free.

Friday started with a masterclass in tent erection, led by our very own Bob the Bodger (sorry, builder), Frad. It was so funny I had to video it. I tried to keep quiet as they put it up wrong, took it down and started again. I have a similar, but smaller, unit at home so I knew exactly how to put it up, but videoing xrv’s incompetence was just too good to interrupt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8fROif__eU

Rick Skye had led a group out to Skye, then Applecross. They said they’d be back by 6pm. We didn’t believe them and did not fancy such a long day. Instead Boris led us on a (4 hour, he said) great ride to Durness on the north coast.

I had a nightmare to start with seeing only obstacles, brick walls and on-coming cars instead of the road ahead, shattering my confidence. Just one of those days.

My riding cleared up after the longest lunch known to man. We turned up at a café on a disused RAF base that is now a hippy commune. The woman looked miserable as sin to see so many people wanting food. Coffee too 45 minutes and toasted panninis were still being served an hour and a half later. Then, when those who had eaten asked to pay, she told them to wait another ten minutes. You couldn’t make it. Fast food, it was not.

Boris took the coast road further along but Austin decided a shorter route home was required and many of us followed him. We’d follow Austin to the end of the earth…and we very nearly did. We went down the tiniest, most unkept road you have ever seen. Worse, the bad bits (with grass growing in the middle) looked exactly the same as the god bits. It was only when you lost your front wheel on gravel that you knew the road surface had come loose.

We all stopped to allow our backside to relax by the side of a loch and reckoned we could well have been in the most remote place in the country. This was the middle of the land emptied of Scottish crofters and hill farmers by the English during the “clearances”.

This is Bandit's pic from a later post in this thread (nicked an put in here)

After we cleared that road (top speed under 40mph), we had a sweet ride back to the campsite, getting back after 6pm and only a few minutes before Boris and the others who had taken the long-way round. We had been out for nearly 7 hours. The Skye group were not back until after 9pm when all the shops were shut – 11 hours.

The site was by now throbbing. This was a great sight to see. I had feared that there would be too few of us here this year because of the double-whammy of distance and the recession. This morning Lady Vader said she had counted 45 bikes. At least one more has arrived, plus we have just had a visit from Rolf, an RD03 rider from Switzerland on holiday in Skye who read about us on the forum and thought he’d come over and say hello (wearing leather riding chaps over jeans). Top result.

I’m having a day off today. May go out for a little ride this afternoon or wander round town. Have not made up my mind. It’s such a great place I’d quite like to go and have a nose about. If you didn’t make it this year, you have to come here sometime. The roads are to die for.

But don’t camp near DC and Hudders. The Vaders took their tent down and moved it away from them yesterday, as the snoring was too much for them to bear.

The T-shirts were designed by DC. Thinking of getting him a special one like this as he drops his bike so often:

NB Signal not very strong so uploading stuff takes ages. More pics and video when I get back.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Chris,or someone ? Try and and get a photo roll call of all the bikes assembled together. It would be nice to see which direction of ownership XRV'ers are moving after @'s and Tranny's etc. :)

PS. Wish you were here, It's lovely here in London. Shame your all stuck up there ! :D:D.

PPS.Please come back every one. Kymmy's gone mad.We've all being inducted into her mad world ! :rolleyes: :)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris,or someone ? Try and and get a photo roll call of all the bikes assembled together. It would be nice to see which direction of ownership XRV'ers are moving after @'s and Tranny's etc. :)
If you have seen the video of us putting up the marquee, you'll realise that the chances of us organising anything remotely like a photoshoot is nigh on impossible.

Very much an @ event though. The odd BMW, KTM and Suzuki, plus several Transalps, but @s dominate.

Sitting here cooking myself a curry. Mmmmn! Lentils. Stand back everyone.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well hi all
Thats me home after a grueling 1 hour 20 mins ride.
Just like to say thanks to all for a most enjoyable few days.
Special thanks to Hudders and DC for some first class criac and to the team that asked me to take them on a rideout, that turned out to be truly epic.
Hope to do it all again soon.

I managed to get the nicotine stains off, just need to try and look sober when the wife gets back from work.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
That's Fiona and myself home. Took a few small roads on the way home, Largewayround led most of the way and I finished it off with a couple of nice scenic country roads instead of the A96!
The weekend was brilliant, special thanks to Steve T for organising the campsite and the routes we rode over the weekend. Thanks also to Lowflyer who also organised the site along with supplying the marquee.
The weekend was a great success as far as I could see. It was great to see old friends from the south like Geoff, Hudders and of course, Vader! We had a drink in the marquee on the Friday night following a great run up with Steve T, largewayround, Mountie, Lowflyer, Raymo, Fiona and myself. Saturday was a great run to Durness with Steve T leading and followed by Alba, Raymo, Lowflyer, ME, Geoff, Largewayround and an Irishman, who's name escapes me! :( Sorry! :thumbup: A couple of offroad sorties made the day even more memorable, sticking my Varadero on a Loch beach then almost powersliding it off a forest track at high speed,,, enough for anyone to remember!
Saturday night Fiona and myself had a large Chinese meal and a few drams then passed out in the tent! Sorry for seeming unsociable, it was the whisky,,, honest! :thumbup:
Sunday morning was damp so after breakfast we said our goodbyes and headed off with Largewayround.
Thanks to all who were there for making it a memory I'll not forget. :D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
looks like a great time was had by all the scotts really pulled the rabbit out of the hat:cool:great weather and campsite etc:cool:

sorry i couldnt be there:( always next year:thumbup:

im looking forward to the rest of the reports:thumbup::thumbup:

oh look 14k:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
well thats me back too
what can I say,,,, Brilliant.......

will post pics later but just need to thank folk if I miss some one sorry so first Thanks to you all :D that should do it :D

Thanks to Steve T for setting a quick but smooth pace and some interesting routes:thumbup: Alp offroad on road tyres interesting :D

hope your summer troos kept evering thing in :angel9:

Thanks to Lowflyer for my heed this morning:angel9:

thanks to Jim for not landing his front wheel on my pannier rack ( the boys at the falls oh Shin were well impressed with the wheelie:thumbup:

thanks to Fiona for the bossie the morning:angel9:

as I said just brillant :happy3: and cracking weather

wish I had taken the week of as Barry did great to me folk and please that folk had a ball I know I did,,, even the rain this am was fine :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Just got home from the National :thumbup:

Left Ullapool at 8.15 am home for 5.45 450 odd miles Paul-S Jellie and me made three :D

Great ride back thanks guys :thumbright:

Note to self dont drink till 2 in the morning before such a ride home :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :D:D:D

As for the event Foooooookin Brilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllliant :blob7::blob7::blob7:

Great to meet lots of new faces and put faces to names :D:D:D

The roads up there are just stunning fast smooth and incredible scenery when its not a blurr :D:D:D

Thanks Boris for great lead rider Friday was the best for me :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

All in all great People great bikes and great fun :thumbup:

Thanks Guys and gals :thumbleft:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Absolutely fabulous.

Great People

Great Roads

Great Fun

I can't wait till the next one.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thats me back on my sunny little island after a fantastic weekend this was my first national and wont be my last.

Thanks to everyone that I rode with, talked to and got drunk with can't waite to do it all again.

Will post pictures and video when I get unpacked tomorrow

Thanks again everyone :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
I can only echo what Boris said, the weekend was 'kin brillo!! :D

Thanks for the great rideout on Saturday guys especially the visit to the tropical beach. ;)
Met a whole load of great people, nice to put names to faces.........and I even got the chance to take the p*ss out of DC, again! :D:D

Andy.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Well that's me back ------------to Ullapool again :thumbup::thumbup:

Went back to the camp site to collect the Marquee, by car unfortunately :confused:

I met the owner of the site who couldn't get over how nice we all were, well behaved etc and how quiet we were over the weekend :confused::confused: I reckon she must have selective deafness :thumbright: and she'll take us back whenever :confused: :thumbright::thumbright:

Thanks to all the guys/gals who went the extra mile to make it a National to remember.
Recyler summed it up when I was gibbering to him the other night " you've come a long way for this trip ?? " I said.
" Same as you last year " was his reply and that about sums it up -- great company, good weather, great bikes -- absolutely brilliant :thumbup:

Great to see well kent faces and new faces :thumbup:

Raymo, sorry about the sore head, no doubt Geoff will be on later and blame me for forcing those rusty nails down his throat and his interim transition from Mcallans to the Famous Grouse :D:D and that possibly Debs will insist that it was me that recommended the hot tody(s)
Thing is Debs, you are only supposed to have ONE :D:D

Anyways guys, I hope you all had a good time. I take the roads up here for granted, maybe I should'nt, but there we go.

Roll on next year :D:D:D

I'll post some pics later on :thumbright:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts