Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have not been a member for long My first thread was about my mate busting his neck green laning in the Peak District! I put it in the wrong place though its on sub section of ride reports, test rides.

My XR 400 has 440 big bore kit, Edelbrock pumper carb(oh the transformation!), FMF pipe, Gordon mods to headers and airbox, nineties CR Showa upside down front end, wavy front disc and hell stainless brake lines get rid of the spongey XR front brakes and I ...kin love it.!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi I have not been a member for long My first thread was about my mate busting his neck green laning in the Peak District! I put it in the wrong place though its on sub section of ride reports, test rides.

My XR 400 has 440 big bore kit, Edelbrock pumper carb(oh the transformation!), FMF pipe, Gordon mods to headers and airbox, nineties CR Showa upside down front end, wavy front disc and hell stainless brake lines get rid of the spongey XR front brakes and I ...kin love it.!
Hi and welcome to the forum, you'll get lots of fun and arguing on here and help when needed so welcome aboard fella

Best of luck with the 440cc kit everybody i know who's put one on including myself ( my bike came with it fitted ) has ended in tears the motors can't cope with the 440 kit. Mine had drilled airbox, snorkel removed, heavy duty, clutch, weisco 12.5:1 high comp forged piston and all the bits on it until it tore itself to peices.

Don't want to put you off but they are bad news, you are much better off leaving it as standard, the bike is still more capable than you are only thing that might make a difference is th ecarb you've put on and you won't really know that until you put the bike upside down as standard carb is fine when jetted correctly as i said they are only really a pain to start when they've been upside down. Some do have flat spots but thats down to th e162 main jet being miles to big causing them to run far too rich i had mine down to 140 and it was faultlessly smooth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up Jasonbc, the 440 kit has been on for over 2 years now (bought it off a mate kit was on when he got it) I have stuck the carb on ground out the headers etc. and not had any probs apart from head gasket weeping which I replaced for a Cometic top end kit. Has got a quite loud tick on top end when cold, the valve clearances are perfect, think its the auto de-comp clutch on the cam shaft. Motor should man it, isn't it the same motor, pretty much, as the TRV440/450?

The carb doesn't just make it easier to start, the whole rev range is much more responsive and torquey, once you've set it up!! Mine was off a quad in the states but had correct needle in so tuning it in was no drama just adjust needle height and pump flow which is done externally, no rejetting for different mods just twiddle the needle adjuster!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Jasonbc, the 440 kit has been on for over 2 years now (bought it off a mate kit was on when he got it) I have stuck the carb on ground out the headers etc. and not had any probs apart from head gasket weeping which I replaced for a Cometic top end kit. Has got a quite loud tick on top end when cold, the valve clearances are perfect, think its the auto de-comp clutch on the cam shaft. Motor should man it, isn't it the same motor, pretty much, as the TRV440/450?

The carb doesn't just make it easier to start, the whole rev range is much more responsive and torquey, once you've set it up!! Mine was off a quad in the states but had correct needle in so tuning it in was no drama just adjust needle height and pump flow which is done externally, no rejetting for different mods just twiddle the needle adjuster!
All xr's tick and rattle i changed cam chain, tensioner, valves clearances allsorts and couldn't get rid of it, my mates 250 is the same. However if it's only when the bike is cold you may have a bit of piston slap (wear in the skirt). I never had any problems with mine when it had all the gear on it then one day went out to practise filled up with petrol pulled out the petrol station it rattled and died that was when i found the death off the 440 (photo's above) there was no warning when it happened. Normally 440 pistons are only fitted when the bikes had problems, as it's cheaper to bore out the liner and fit a piston than it is to fit a new liner and piston.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its definately not piston slap, the noise is eminating from valve gear. I did wonder at one bit if I had a sticking exhaust valve had cam cover off a couple of times but can't see anything apart from the clutch thingy feeling a bit loose, then rechecked valve clearances. Any way you can stop scaring me now, all my mates ride KTMs, they seem to be made from glass and porcellin and I keep telling them that half the price XRs are bullit proof!!!!! Be just my luck that it blows its lid now I've got it perfectly dialled in!! It'll be out in the sticks somewhere in the pissing rain!!

Saying that if its pissing down I could take My Land Pig Disco TD5 (chipped etc. etc.) out instead!

·
Registered
237 Posts
if the ticking noise only happens when cold then its your auto decomp.when the engine warms up a little the engine speed increases enough to make it work properly.next time it happens turn the tickover up and see if it disappears.

the ktm rfs engine is as good an engine as you will find.if they go wrong its usually because of a very high mileage or muppetry on the part of the owners.not perfect and they've had the odd problem but all in all a fabulous motor.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
if the ticking noise only happens when cold then its your auto decomp.
The XR400 is manual decompressor,

XR EDEL PUMP i know what you mean about being miles away when **** happens, i was on a road trial got 2 stages away from the finish at Lands End and both my accelerator cables snapped:(:( Had to phone the wife to go to mothers and get the trailer and come collect me. Then was out and a few of us went through a puddle and again had to get the wife to go mothers and get my trailer and collect me again..

Being recover at Lamorna on road trial

DSC09598.jpg

Afternoons playing after some of the snow and ice had melted last winter

A.jpg

E.jpg

The bit my mate is climbing up onto is actually the hedge

I.jpg

This is what came out the engine after i flushed it out

M.jpg

·
Registered
237 Posts
'kin 'ell jase.it has a fecking auto decomp on the cam.its activated by bobweights so the engine has to run at a certain speed to disengage it.on some bikes they can play up a little.

my 650 has the same.you do spout some ******** at times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes there is definately an auto-decomp on the cam, I believe Hot cams etc don't have them. That looks a little damp.

Hey Ogri yes I know the KTMs are good but the service intervals are a little extreme, the side stands are made of chewing gum and the rear sub frame isn't much better!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
'kin 'ell jase.it has a fecking auto decomp on the cam.its activated by bobweights so the engine has to run at a certain speed to disengage it.on some bikes they can play up a little.

my 650 has the same.you do spout some ******** at times.

I just realised what i said it was late i just got in and was thinking about somethig else. I confused myself remembering on my 400 the decompressor was manual, a lever under the clutch lever but my mates 250 is automatic with the kickstarter i was thinking about them not the cam side of it.

Consider myself B*****ked like naughty school boy:(:(:(

·
Registered
237 Posts
yes there is definately an auto-decomp on the cam, I believe Hot cams etc don't have them. That looks a little damp.

Hey Ogri yes I know the KTMs are good but the service intervals are a little extreme, the side stands are made of chewing gum and the rear sub frame isn't much better!
most rfs owners change the oil around the 500 mile mark,plenty of xr owners do too.the xr takes twice as much oil as the ktm so can be more expensive on the oil front.tappets are much easier on the honda and i agree about the sidestand.to be fair to ktm though.....its only designed to hold the bike up,not the bike and rider.seen plenty of ktm owners sitting on bike with stand down kicking bike and also trying to force the stand into the ground if the bike is a little too upright when simply moving it to a different place would be kinder to the stand.my '05 400 is fine and will remain so with a little care.my '01 300 was fine once the chocolate bolt was replaced.xr subframes are tough but complete barstewards to straighten if damaged.i love both bikes.....not trying to get into a discussion about which is best.wishing you many happy hours with it. :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts