Honda XRV Forum banner
4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Rubberchicken 
#1 ·
I've just put my Transalp on ebay and immediately get lots of E-mails asking
'How much do you want for it'? or 'What's the lowest price'? or 'Would you accept.....'?
I'm not sure why, but this kind of thing irritates me. Are they dealers or individuals.
They just come over to me as chancers that I probably do not want to do business with.
But, there again I want to sell it.
I've also being asked for the Reg, which I suppose is fair enough.

Am I being too sensitive and generally what are the safeguards and things to watch out for.

Fishy!

#3 ·
Zactly what he said , and reply to messages buy it now is £15,000 and that is the minimum price i would take for buy it now, as for the reg tell em to use the Ebay check system, not sure if that tells em the reg or not though

#4 ·
If you've a price in mind then tell them, add a few quid on because they'll be sure to try and knock you down, can't see anything wrong with asking myself. you could also save a few bob on fee's if someone comes round to view and makes an offer there and then, just make sure that you get a handful of cash before letting them test ride/nick it!

#11 ·
Spot on Bolty!

I sold my Alp using fleabay, the buyer was sitting in my front room as the auction ran out and he paid just below my asking price but that way, with much reduced fees ;) Cash in hand of course. For 3 days after, i got a torrent of emails, most offering there or therabouts what I actually go for the bike. Gotta admit, I sell more expensive stuff on Preloved.com now, as eBay is way too dear.

If I got a serious sounding buyer, I would tell them to come and see me with green folding (or a bank transfer) and do business.

#6 ·
If you're getting lots of emails asking those sort of questions it's a good sign surely? To be honest if I'm really interested in a listing it's got to the point I would send just such a question if there is not a comment that the auction will run to the end as I'm fed up seeing things withdrawn as "no longer available"

As far as aking for the reg, chances are it's a serious buyer wanting to do an HPI check on the bike rather than someone wanting to clone the number.

#7 ·
I tend to think / find the people who ask stupid annoying questions are the ones with no money or no intention to buy it. Anybody who is genuine will contact you properly and probably view before buying only an idiot would buy just by looking at an advert onscreen

#9 · (Edited)
only an idiot would buy just by looking at an advert onscreen
That'll be me then! :D

Well with some additions. Given the fact you can transport bikes for reasonable money these days a lot of people have cottoned on to the fact that limiting your choice of a bike/ car to an area you are prepared to travel to view means you limit your choice of what's available. Living in Northern Ireland as I do that choice is limited enough and I've been buying vehicles sight unseen for the last number of years on the basis of hi res pictures and talking to the seller over the phone without a problem although I'm not saying that will always be the case.

It used to be I'd do a deal and fly over to view the bike with a stuffed brown envelope in my pocket, on the understanding if it wasn't as described the deal was off and I'd just fly home rather than ride the bike god knows how far to a port and grab a ferry. Yes, you could see it in the flesh but I always ended up buying it as it was as described and as shown in the pictures provided. Now I'm the first one to acknowledge there are rip off artists out there but I put a lot of trust in gut reaction of a seller when speaking on the phone, if it don't feel right it don't progress period.

Just looking at the bikes currently in the stable, 6 of the 7 were bought unseen and I regret none of them.

Now I'm not advocating it's the way to go for everyone but don't think a buyer looking to do a deal at a distance is not genuine, and if it's a sale through a forum such as this where someone has "history" I wouldn't hesitate if it was something I was after. :thumbright:

#10 ·
So what's the item number?

EDIT: Found it: Honda Transalp 650 v4 2004 | eBay

Now we have a nice easy link, we can all start asking silly questions :D
Fish.

Having looked at you're listing I'm not suprised your getting messages, the bikes been in your hands long term, you're mentioning things like the battery, it comes across as a genuine bike and it's got no reserve and a reasonable starting price.

As you mention it could be closed early if I was looking for one I'd be messaging you rather than risking my usual last minute bidding technique. :p

#12 ·
ohhh preloved .com never heard of that one... im off to have a nose about, thanks for the tip off SteveR :thumbleft:

#13 ·
Not the quantity of bikes/cars yet, but no fee to sell, other than the fiver/annum membership :)

I have probably sold £3-4k worth of stuff there so far ... ;)

#14 ·
awkward e-bayers, hows about this one, listed item uk only, had a dutch guy message me saying he wanted to bid but wasnt able due to my restrictions and asked if i would change that, so i did and never having posted to any EU countrys i over estimated the post, now be aware these are no reserve 99p auctions so im doing it to pass on some garage bits i have lying around not to make a fortune and the cheeky sod messaged me back saying its too dear on my posting to the EU so i said well ive never done EU posting and im not fannying about browsing for the cheapest and i dont have a buisness account so that is what i want for posting, the cheeky sod sent me another message today saying he researched my postage and believes it should only be £7.80, F~#~ off it cost me £12.50 to send down a parcel to London at Christmas...

so ive ignored his last message cos i dont wanna end up cracking a mental, cheeky sods he needs to leave that green stuff alone and live in the real world, so maybe its time to swap over to preloved, lol :blob6:

#15 ·
Silly sod, he should understand that putting something in the post is more than putting a stamp on it and dropping it in a post box!! I have a strong suspicion that the 99p sales are going to disappear off eBay with the big price increases recently in small package deliveries from Royal Mail

#16 ·
I had an **** in spain askl me to post a tyre for the cost of uk postage, he argued that the quote he got from Parcel farce was the cost even sent me the quote he had got online, but he had omitted to put in the destination , i had quoted him using Parcel2go, so i redid his quote and returned it corrected it was nearly twice my quote, and said this is the cost if you want parcelforce, then after no reply for a few days I filed an unpaid claim , the money appeared in my paypal within the hour

#18 ·
well i think ill stick to uk only and ive sold more bits from PMs on here so far anyway, rather pass on bargains to fellow XRV'ers pay it forward good karma and all that, but got a guy coming over who i think is going to basically make me an offer for all the Alp bits i have left anyway, he is planning a budget rebuild on his own bike and the funny thing is, he was a guy who didnt win in an auction of mine on E-Bay, so happy days :happy7:

#19 ·
It is nice to keep it in the family, I've had stuff given for nowt and given stuff away for nowt because of this forum, If and when I sell anything @ related I'll offer it on here first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.