1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Crumbs, Chief !
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ice ice baby...

Ok obscure musical references over...

Serious question...

I am ever indebted to Mr Beddows for introducing me to the wonders of offroad riding.

However one thing we never do - which seems to be common practise amonst our offroad bretheren - is deflate our tyre pressures... In a lot of cases that possibly wouldn't make total sense to do so as we are riding quite rocky trails where deflated tyres might not be much of an advantage - plus there are always 3-4 mile road sections between trails and approx 30-40 miles on road at start and finish of the day...

So - getting to the point - you'll have to excuse me its friday night and I've had several bottles of beck's already and gone slightly Ronnie Corbet shaggy dog tale - where was I - oh yes the point.... Is it possible to be off topic in your own first post...? hmm.... oh yes the point...

The question is - if I wanted to try this - does anyone think were I to deflate my tyres a bit - say 15-20% form norm - before setting off to the trails - bearing in mind it'd be about 30-40 miles on road to get there - that a) I would get much advantage when on the trails and b) that I wouldn't cause any serious danger to myself riding on road with underinflated tyres. (I understand obviously mpg and tyre wear might suffer - and maybe handling to a small extent when on road but other than that am I really in 'danger' is what I'm trying to get at)...

Main reason for question is obviously to avoid the hassle of deflating and reinflating everytime we swap road for trail or vice-versa....

Views ?

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
I wouldnt bother deflating the tyres unless you get stuck....or have long sections of mud to travel through. My tyres on the @ are around 30psi for road and off road. Ive never had to change this yet....partly because I cant be bothered re infalting for the road sections.

As for trying it, I dont see a problem with running under inflated tyres as a test. Just take it steady when cornering. Or, for this Sunday just deflate your tyres when we get there and pump them up when we finish. Then you dont have the 40mile road journey on under inflated tyres. I will have a pump on me.

Will be interested to hear other XRV'ers views.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Two thoughts.

1 Take along one of those small 12 volt tyre pumps, re inflated in no time and handy for punctures.
2 The @ is quite heavy so the risk of pinch punctures will increase as the pressure drops.

It would be interesting to hear a report on the practical findings. Trials bike rear is about 4 psi, but the bike only weighs about 70 kilos.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Unless Honda advise lowering the pressure I would stick with the standard. You would need a rim lock for low pressures else you run the risk of ripping the valve out the tyre under acceleration.

Yonks ago I had a DT175 and went everywhere with about 15psi in the Tyres - as advised by yamaha but with rim locks and MX Tyres designed for lower pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
I did drop the pressures to 20psi when I did a day with mudwiz offroad and then forgot to pump them back up. I managed to get a rear flat at 70 on the motorway which was far more scarey than the rough stuff through the day.

The innertube was actress's and the valve had come away from the tube- I think if you are going to lower the pressures make sure you reinflate for the road and fit some of those tyre/wheel rim locks which will help take the pressure off the innertube.

Just my thoughts

·
Crumbs, Chief !
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should've clarified I was talking about my XT in this post - sorry... its about 150+kg dry rather than 200+kg for the XRV... Not that I think that'd make a lot of difference to the general gist I'm getting here which is - don't do it...

Out of interest how low do your pressures generally have to be before you need rim-locks... I was imagining pretty low...

Even my XT manual talks about 18psi front and rear for offroad riding, and nothing about rim locks...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts