Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Hello everyone, I have recently heard once again from our good friend, Ian Coates, who has been making his way around the world on his Africa Twin since 1999 and he would like me to post his most recent update..... All the best and safe riding!!! Dee

DEE WOULD YOU PLEASE POST THIS FOR ME:

I am Ian Coates from Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire (Well I was 11 years ago when I left for a ride on my bike...). I'm riding my 1991 Africa Twin round the world by myself and the only support I have is my wife Judith.

She's a good lass and all these people have helped me too:
· Mario Ruffa at Turbogen Argentina
· Dee and Brent in Mississippi, USA
· Doug - he lent me his pick-up in Canada
· Blue Wing Honda and Robert Kean in New Zealand
· Keith Larkin at Whites Wholesale whogive me a new teknic riding suit in New Zealand
· Bill Veitch at McIver and Veitch
· Mike Baker at Marinescene
· Jon Pasket and Lorraine Hutchinson - Jon helped me get my bike ready in Canada
· Nevil and Michelle Stow in Canada
· Rob and Ingrid Pearce in Canada who got me new boots, and
· Iron Tigers at Vladivostok, Russia.

Its been a long and hard ride through Russia but I enjoyed it; it was wild!

I am now in the Ukraine at Balaklava. It's near Sevastopol on the Black Sea. I left Vladivostok in April in the snow with just 5 days left on my extended Russian visa. I applied for my Kazakhstan visa in Omsk on the 20th of July, not far from the border of Kazakhstan but I was turned down as they would not give me a visa on my passport which runs out on the 15 of January 2011.

So I rang the British embassy in Moscow and they said I had to leave Russia before my visa runs out even if it means leaving my motor bike. I didn't like the idea leaving my bike so I asked them where was the nearest country to me that I did not need a visa to get into. They said the Ukraine but that was about 2500 miles from me (that's if I don't get lost)

I had just ridden 1500 miles in the last few days so I put the new rear tyre on that I had fetched with me from the USA. I'd done just over 7000 miles since I had last changed my engine oil and it still felt ok (I am using amsoil full synthetic oil from the USA) but I was going to service my bike in the 5 days I had left on my Russian visa. As I had to get out of Russia and into the Ukraine, I had no time.

So the next day I set off, riding on very bad roads and trying not to get lost. I rode til it got dark then just pulled off the road and went to sleep next to my bike til day break then set of again. When I was over half way there I put my tent up at night.

I crossed into the Ukraine from Russia at the North then rode non-stop to a big motor bike rally at Sevastopol which is on the Black Sea in the extreme South. I was knackered when I got there and I'm still there resting.

On my way from Omsk I damaged my right arm and got stung by wasps on my left and right eyes. It was so hot I was riding without my gloves on and got a blister on my right hand and I damaged my kidney riding on the bad roads for so long without resting. I'm ok now but need a new front tyre and new disc pads. From here I think I have to go to Poland.

My wife Judith has arrived here from England and has fetched me some parts for my 1991 Africa Twin which has now done about 160,000 miles on this trip. I thought I was going to kill it riding across Russia but it did better than me! I have now seen my wife seven times since I set off from home in 1999. My wedding anniversary was on the 2nd of September 2010 and we'd been married 43 years. It'll be 12 years since we have been together on our wedding anniversary.

I have been on the TV about 12 times and in lots of newspapers in Russia and now in Ukraine. I am now 67 years old, but feel 27.

There are only a few people that can understand the enjoyment of just riding with no fixed destination - just riding and meeting people - but I think most of you understand. I told my wife I was going for 4 months back in 1999 and I am still riding but I think I'll have to get home finally next year.

I enjoy every second of my travels and even the bad times are good. You can read more about me if you google 'Ian Coates Honda'; or 'Ian Coates Hebden Bridge UK'.

All the best,

Ian Coates

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Wow - how on earth would you return to normal life after over 10years wandering about on your bike?

And where did you find a wife like that?

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,089 Posts
This guy rocks, and I want a mrs like his as well! Can't believe the tenacity. So many people wuold have given up - true Brit-Grit - Keep going and Good luck.

When you get back to the UK, I reckon there may be a few AT's to meet you.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Didnt seem to take Ian long to cross Russia. Last I read, probably a couple of months ago was that he was on the East coast of Russia waiting for his bike to be shipped in. And now he is in the Ukraine. Ive just finished reading Long Way Round and they spent weeks crossing Russia, and they went the direct route. I expected Ian to take the really long route round, not sure why.

Still, what an adventure! I have asked my missus and she says no.

Any ideas where he is off to next...he said Poland, but thats pretty much in the UK's back yard in the grand scheme of things.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
OK I have the bike, could if really worked at it get the time (early retirement), have the skill, the knowledge and in all honesty a really understanding wife - what havent I got - yes thats right the BALLS! Much respect Mr. Coates, many think, many talk some do but you have really really done it!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ian Coates is amazing to survive his epic trip, but in my opinion a little selfish.

He gets off an travels the world,

she sits at home for 10years worrying about him.

Slight inbalance in the fun factor there.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Do we know she was worried and not enjoying herself! My wife doesn't seem to worry and has a whale of time when I am off touring.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Absolutely, I'm encouraged to go too. Wifey likes her me time.
After years of marriage things are pretty laid back.

If anyone plans to go around the world, let me know and I’ll join in,
but will have to wait at least 3 years until I pay my daughters way through University,,,,
It’s these little commitments in Life that keep us in the system.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Top man,all the best and just keep riding,been away 10 years so another ten won,t go a miss.....better8than ever must be a woman:D

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Ian Coates is amazing to survive his epic trip, but in my opinion a little selfish.

He gets off an travels the world,

she sits at home for 10years worrying about him.

Slight inbalance in the fun factor there.
Ians wife featured on television a couple of years ago, the one thing that she did convey is that she doesn't sit at home worrying about him but gets own with her own life, she also gets to go and visit him a couple of times a year, Not everyones ideal relationship I know but it obviously works for them

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It does help to keep the relationship fresh.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a beer with Ian in Coldfoot Camp Alaska last summer. Interesting guy and I had a chance to look at his AT. In his words "It's knackered, but it just keeps on going". Admittedly it was a little worse for wear, as would be expected after the run that it's had.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Ians wife also gets to go and visit him a couple of times a year, Not everyones ideal relationship I know but it obviously works for them
It's like seeing you at the National and the Welsh invasion. Enough's enough!:D

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Ian spent Christmas riding across Italy and Sicily - with various members of the Italian Africa Twin Club.

They showed him fantastic hospitality - he stayed with them for Christmas itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all

I currently have the pleasure of playing host to Mr Ian Coates for the next couple of days, he is over on the Isle of Man taking a look at the TT for the first time in sixteen years.

Lucky for me our paths crossed by chance on the prom in Peel and I could not let him go without grilling him on the ultimate Africa Twin adventure.

Thanks Kirk

Sorry if this picture has not re-sized, if someone understand these forums better than me could you help me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts