Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of you have been following my thread regarding having my wheels rebuilt by central wheels and the wheel being badly built and them blaming me etc etc.
Anyway the have rebuilt my wheel and it's just arrived back and I need to know if I'm being picky but the drill holes on the new rim look way too big and my let in water also the don't like up with the bumps that they are supposed to be on.

Here are some pics please let me know if I am being fussy or if it is unacceptable

·
Administrator
1,781 Posts
I'm no expert, but it seems to me that they've drilled slightly out-of-line to the "bumps". So the nipples won't sit tidily in the rims - they won't fill the holes properly, and won't, I imagine, leave a smooth surface within, thereby encouraging wear and possible puncture of the inner-tube.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm more concerned about the gaps around the nipples that will let water in and encourage erosion, it looks badly drilled to me but need a second opinion before I contact them

·
Registered
552 Posts
Don't know about the gap but it looks like a sloppy job to me.
Maybe it would be best if someone who had similar job done, by them or some other builder, could post pictures for comparison.

Anyhow I wouldn't be happy with this

·
Registered
367 Posts
im no expert on spoked rims either but have mounted enough tyres on spoked rims to know that those bumps are recesses on the other side for the nipple head. if you were to take the tyre off and check you will probably find the nipple head protruding and therefore pressing and rubbing on the tube (dont know if you are using a tube). those holes dont look professionally done. looks like drilled by a wobbly hand drill. i think your other wheel was safer than this one although aesthetially unacceptable. i hope you get it sorted. not a good way for the business to reclaim its reputation. mark

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input, I hadnt thought about the backs of the spokes ripping the innertube. I cannot mount the wheel with that thought sitting in my head.

this is turning out to be a nightmare, I waited two months to get this sorted and they come back worse than before

·
Registered
367 Posts
another point i forgot to mention (all these should be pointed out to the builders) is that those recesses are there to distribute the load evenly onto the rims. as it is, the nipple will be on the rim on a very small contact area and a potential stress point. like i said earlier, i would have happily rode on your other rims, but this one i wouldnt feel safe. really hope you get it sorted as none of it is your fault. if you take it back i would ask them to unmount the tyres in front of you and see for yourself inside the rim. dont let anyone else unmount the tyres. that will complicate matters. (from my experience)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I had a 17" rim built for the front of my dominator by Central Wheels and it was perfect.
If it'd come back looking like that I'd have been on the phone. That's not right at all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just received my Morad rims today from central wheels drilling looks much more acurate than yours. Hopefully picture attached. If not will send later from home. Only fault on mine are a couple of repeated marks on the front rim which look like they werr caused by clamping in the drilling rig
Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
That is total shit.

As others have said, the spoke should exit the preformed recess at the correct angle, meaning they have to be drilled correctly. Worryingly, as pointed out, the back of those nipples will probably protrude enough through the rim tape for it to wear through and eventually pinch the inner tube.

That is worse than amateur, it is downright dangerous. Yes it will probably work, but when it fails at 70mph, it will kill you.

You've given them the opportunity to put their first mistakes right, I would just be looking to get my money back WITH compensation now. TAKE THEM TO COURT.

I feel for you, I would be totally gutted if I paid for something and received that.

Good Luck

Bob

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is the response from the managing director

------------------------------------------------------------
Barry

due to the steep angle required in drilling the rim to fit these hubs, there were spanner marks in the rim from the tightening of the spokes, so we exchanged the rims. I now note your new issues regarding the wheels - to which i respond as follows.

The original rims on the bike would have been DID rims, these have proven over the years to be made of a material that has a metallurgical reaction with valves and security bolts that caused them corrode from the inside out. The SM pro rims that we have supplied are made from 7116-T1 alloy and have no such reaction so will not corrode in any manner.

The rims have to be drilled to be fitted to the large XRV750 hubs and the angles required can only be obtained by punching through the side of the preformed dimples - the only way of avoiding this would be to find a rim with dimples twice the depth. The hole size punched into this rim is the correct size for the nipple fitted, there is always some clearance around the nipple, and there is no danger whatsoever of corrosion as this is as previously explained a metallurgical reaction to the metal used in the valves and security bolts and nothing to do with the elements.

Over the past 2-3 years we have sold/fitted in excess of 200 rims for this application, however if you remain unhappy with the wheels please do not fit them to your bike, but return them and we will strip them down and refund you in full as we have no alternative rim that we can offer.

I am sorry that this rebuild has not met with your expectations.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I rang him and he said that you all dont know what you are talking about as there is no pretusion on the inside of the rim.
he said that there are rims without dimples that they use so there is no pretusion. He swore blind that they where safe.

He said that I can have my money back, but as i explained to him that leaves me with two hubs, no spokes, no rear tyre and no bike on the road.

he said that he unserstood my predicament, but this was the only option if i didnt like the asethics of the wheel, as it is totally safe.

I asked him three times, 'would you be happy to put the wheel on show with a banner above saying proudly built by central wheel?' his response each time was, its the only product they have to fit the xrv750 and so there is no other option, but would not give me a yes or no.

I am betwen a rock and a hard place, i need my bike daily for work and if I get a refund I am off the road for weeks/month while I source the other parts and get the wheels rebuilt.

what I need is a second opinion from a wheel bulder so I can categorically say that they are safe unsafe

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Is there no one out there that has spare wheels to keep you on the road until you are properly sorted?
Might be worth a plee in the wanted section?

The metallic reaction is utter bollox.
The corrosion is by salt/water ingress between the rim & nipple ot valve. End of.
Neglected rims rot, looked after ones don't.

Phil

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
That looks very shoddy work to me! How come DID rims need to be drilled at the same angle and yet they haven't got massive gaps and drilled half on the dimple and half on the flat of the rim! I'd be calling Hagon!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hi. I can imagine you're about to throw the rims at someone and being bombarded with suggestions can be confusing so i'll be brief. It didnt look right to you straight away. Every one agrees it doesnt look right. From the photos, if the jig was moved a few millimetres towards the bump it would be spot on. Nothing to do with angles. Until 2007 i was fitting at least one tyre to a spoked rim 6 days/week and never seen a headless spoke nipple. Doesnt mean there isnt one though but i cant see how it would work. The holes to me are too big but he's the expert. They are certainly not clean, neat holes. Would he be prepared for you to have the tyres removed at an agreed tyre garage and you and the technician could see if he's right (and me a knob). If it has a head on it, it will most likely stick out then its game over. That will eventually punture the tube. You dont want that anywhere at any speed. As how to deal with them, you need legal advice by now i think. A refund would not be enough at this point. Could anyone else on the forum who has wheels done on the SAME MODEL bike by this company supply photos of their wheel for comparison. You'll soon know if he's fobbing you off. I did intend to be brief, sorry. I hope they deal with this to your satisfaction. Mark

·
Registered
372 Posts
Here is the photo I tried to upload earlier.

DSC03810.jpg

This is a rear Morad rim as drilled and supplied by Central Wheels to me today. I have it next to the original and the drilling angles and location of the hole within the dimple look correct. In other words they do have the ability to drill them correctly. The SM Pro they supplied to you originally was also drilled correctly, the fault with that one was damage to the anodising by rough spoke key operation. For them to suggest they are unable to improve upon what you have got is in my humble opinion sh*te.

My order from them has gone much smoother however I do have an issue with some repeated indentations in the front rim where it has been clamped in there drilling rig (I presume).

DSC03811.jpg

Two small marks as seen repeated at four or five locations on the rim. Not sure if I am gonna complain about this yet. Since the rim is not anodised it's not such an issue. Still would be nice to get something perfect from them. Judging from the customer service you have received they would probably tell me its an inevitable part of the process.

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
How different are transalp wheels to @ wheels?
I would have 2 Transalp 600 wheels you can use till you sorted

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm not having own experience with wheels, but I am having a lot of experience with drilling, milling, etc. in the prototype sector and I know for sure these wheels can be done a lot better.

DON'T be tempted to accept this, even if it keeps you off the bike for some time. You would regret it.

I had similar problems in the past (people not beeing able/willing to deliver agreed and paid for quality) and feel for you. I hope you get it sorted soon.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts