Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend recently tried helping me out when I needed a jump start due to flat battery, however when he connected up the jump leads to the battery he put them the wrong way round, and popped my electrics.
Ive checked the fuses on the handle bars and they're all intact, however when I checked the one on the starter relay (the 30 amp one), this had gone so ive replaced it.
My problem is that I still have no power when I turn the key, and no lights on the clocks.
Can anyone help me with what might be wrong.....?
What am I missing....?

Thanks guys

Chris

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is fine..... even with boost leads connected the correct way still get nothing.....
Must be something else in the electrical system I'm missing somewhere..... but what....?

·
Registered
843 Posts
You could have blown the gauges, CDI etc - you'll need to test em and/or replace with known working electric / electronics.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
is the bike coming out of hibernation was the battery left in the bike for a few months is there corrosion on the battery terminals or leads and are they tight ? are you getting nothing at all no dash lights nothing ? I am no expert but I would imagine with a good battery making a good connection and good main fuse that you would at least have lights . have you tested the battery did you have dash lights at the start but then nothing after the crossed wires ? hopefully its a simple inexpensive fix fingers crossed for you man :thumbup:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Te bike has been in fairly regular use, but as kept outside and not used for a while battery had faded.....
Prior to lead being crossed had all lights working and engine turned over, but once leads added, pop, then nothing.
All connections are clean, tight and good, and im getting a good earth too....

Ive got a spare set of cdi units so will try them tomorrow, and also check ive not missed anything obvious li, e a second fuse somewhere.......
Fingers crossed....

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
i doubt it's the CDI units as if you take them off and turn the ignition on, you should still get the lights on

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
are you sure the main starter fuse you replaced is one that works? ie not an old fuse you had lying around

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She lives........
Stripped the bike back to bare frame with tank seat and everything off..... checked all wires and connection and when I opened up the fuse box on the handle bars found the connection wire on one side of the ignition circuit for the fuse had come loose..... bit of re-soldering and hey presto.... she came back to life again..... :p

So connected my jump leads..... the right way roumd and bingo, she burst into life and fired up first time.....:lol:

So charged the battery up through the day, and left it overnight to stand again. Checked voltage this morning and after being stood overnight voltage was steady at 12.6volts, so turned the key and fingers crossed pressed the start button and she fired up again, no problems....... really happy..... and cheap fix....:toothy10:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts