Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had been in contact with the folks at ASH Hoses (also known as Auto Silicone Hoses or APMotorstore I think) about 5 weeks ago about their silicone hose sizes and ordering from the US. They told me to register with my US address on their site so as to not be charged the VAT. I have done this, and at checkout, my order total shows a "US Tax" at 20%. Does anyone know if UK businesses usually charge a "US tax" equivalent to the 20% VAT a domestic order would incur? See photo.

I ask here because I haven't heard anything back from the company after several emails 5 weeks ago. I cannot seem to reach them by phone either. Hopefully they're still in business and my international phone skills need a revamp....

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Doesn't sound right to me.

If it's a UK order, you would have VAT added automatically.

An International order shouldn't be subject to UK VAT (although if you were visiting the UK you would have to pay it, then go to the VAT reclaim desk at the airport when you leave I think). You'd just be liable for any US import or state taxes, which would be due on the value once the items had landed on your side of the pond.

Keep chasing them!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, they're still in business today .... I've just rung them on your behalf. It may be that phoning from the US you can't phone in on their 0844 number. Try this one... 00441924 460300
Cheers
John

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Old Man, appreciate the effort. I was able to finally get through to them after trying countless number combinations. Was as simple as leaving off that first zero from their number. Now I know.

Sounds like the "US Tax" was indeed an error. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts