Honda XRV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wow! What a fantastic adventure ... Thanks for posting up your great photos and sharing this with us :D

:sunny:
X

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
We have discovered a wonderful new thing here in Colorado - craft Distilleries :). Imagine a home brew pub but distilling small batches of whisky, rum, gin, and vodka and then selling in a nice rustic setting. Awesome night last night :) :) :). We are staying for another session tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Forgot to say - if you ever get the chance to try 185 degree proof rum dropped straight onto your tongue from a pipette try it - it's like angels dancing on your tongue while getting an instant but brief hit from the alcohol vapours. Awesome.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Fantastic report Austin and Anne - you look really at home on that Bimmer. On the subject of beer - glad you found some good stuff not too mention the craft Distilleries. We used to have a joke in Canada - "What's the difference between American beer and making love in a canoe? - Nothing - they're both f*****g close to water"!!!
Stay safe.
Ian

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
we haven't done a lot for the past few days - a soak in some natural hot springs, walk around the shops, visit some of the local sights and eat and drink waaaay too much. The weather hasn't been up to much either - sunny in the morning, clouding up followed by heavy showers with the odd rumble of thunder. There were winter weather warnings on the TV for the mountain roads in this general area for last night and sunday night.

pics from the past few days

Traditional hotel in Silverton - where we stayed

Silverton from a vantage point down a dirt road

Old One Hundred Mine - genuine Gold/Silver/Lead mine operating until the 70's. Altitude is 10,500 5 miles up a dirt road from Silverton. The shaft we went down was the lower of 4 the top being at over 13,000 feet. The miners used to stay in a bunk house near the top level for 3-4 months at a time. Talk about a hard life!!

Red Mountain Pass - 11,000 and a bit feet up. Ice still at the top. Lower down the road was closed following a huge landslide in February. They have a one way system operating overnight and for an hour at lunchtime otherwise its closed - I couldn't stop for pics of the landslide but it was huge with the rebuilt section a car width and with massive unguarded precipice of '000s of feet - and this in the land of health and safety and litigation

frozen lake

The aforementioned distillery

The True Grit Cafe - Ridgway (where we currently are) was the location for the first True Grit film.

Sunshine and Happy Days in a bottle Another good reason to stay awhile in Colorado

And the shop where you buy it from

A bit like a sweetie shop

Mountain Views at Teluride from the cable car

and anne not happy at the swaying car

and finally for now Ridgway from above with snowy Rocky Mountains in the background. These are all around 13-14,000 foot mountains. While we have been here the snow pack has about doubled and will have done so again today as we have had fierce storms and temperatures of just 6c. We spent the day in a hot spring even during a heavy hailstorm with marble sized hailstones that really hurt only coming out when the lightening was almost overhead. No pics I am afraid - they wont let you take anything electrical in.

We are moving on tomorrow (Monday) into Utah probably to the Arches National Park, the Canyonlands, Monument Valley and Grand Canyon over the next week or so. So, more boring landscape pics comin' up.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
we haven't done a lot for the past few days - a soak in some natural hot springs, walk around the shops, visit some of the local sights and eat and drink waaaay too much. The weather hasn't been up to much either - sunny in the morning, clouding up followed by heavy showers with the odd rumble of thunder. There were winter weather warnings on the TV for the mountain roads in this general area for last night and sunday night.

pics from the past few days

Traditional hotel in Silverton - where we stayed

Silverton from a vantage point down a dirt road

Old One Hundred Mine - genuine Gold/Silver/Lead mine operating until the 70's. Altitude is 10,500 5 miles up a dirt road from Silverton. The shaft we went down was the lower of 4 the top being at over 13,000 feet. The miners used to stay in a bunk house near the top level for 3-4 months at a time. Talk about a hard life!!

Red Mountain Pass - 11,000 and a bit feet up. Ice still at the top. Lower down the road was closed following a huge landslide in February. They have a one way system operating overnight and for an hour at lunchtime otherwise its closed - I couldn't stop for pics of the landslide but it was huge with the rebuilt section a car width and with massive unguarded precipice of '000s of feet - and this in the land of health and safety and litigation

frozen lake

The aforementioned distillery

The True Grit Cafe - Ridgway (where we currently are) was the location for the first True Grit film.

Sunshine and Happy Days in a bottle Another good reason to stay awhile in Colorado

And the shop where you buy it from

A bit like a sweetie shop

Mountain Views at Teluride from the cable car

and anne not happy at the swaying car

and finally for now Ridgway from above with snowy Rocky Mountains in the background. These are all around 13-14,000 foot mountains. While we have been here the snow pack has about doubled and will have done so again today as we have had fierce storms and temperatures of just 6c. We spent the day in a hot spring even during a heavy hailstorm with marble sized hailstones that really hurt only coming out when the lightening was almost overhead. No pics I am afraid - they wont let you take anything electrical in.

We are moving on tomorrow (Monday) into Utah probably to the Arches National Park, the Canyonlands, Monument Valley and Grand Canyon over the next week or so. So, more boring landscape pics comin' up.

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
More brilliant pics Austin, keep them coming for us in the UK where the weather is, err, not that good. :D

Andy.

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Austin.
Not sure how much longer you're both out there, but there are speed trials at El Mirage (California) on 22nd June. Overnight camping and "guest runs" are allowed.
I'm hoping to catch Bonneville or El Mirage AND some nostalgic drag racing (at Fremont) when it's my turn next year.
Bob

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
You will have to stop all this Austin, I am now getting very jealous.;) Anyway, here is a picture of the Dragon's Tail you don't have. :)

View attachment 52042
See, it matters not where you go, you will be seen.:D

Andy.
Nice catch Andy

Austin that's still got the oe exhaust on. You need a Quill on that mate.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Austin.
Not sure how much longer you're both out there, but there are speed trials at El Mirage (California) on 22nd June. Overnight camping and "guest runs" are allowed.
I'm hoping to catch Bonneville or El Mirage AND some nostalgic drag racing (at Fremont) when it's my turn next year.
Bob
Thanks for the tip Bob, but we are home on the 13th June :(

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Nice catch Andy

Austin that's still got the oe exhaust on. You need a Quill on that mate.
All in good time, once this trip is paid for. :thumbup:

I am going to try and upload some pics to Photobucket tonight so hopefully can get a few on here later on. Currently in the South West corner of Utah and still lovin' it. Been to loads of the big sights around here so this is going to be picture heavy (mostly of rocks that nature has done some weird stuff to) - although Grand Canyon and Zion National Park still to visit which are the real big hitters round here. Also hooked up with some bikers from Salt Lake City and going out for dinner with them tonight - should be interesting.

More laters......

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
OK, so a night out with the Salt Lake City Motorcycle Club (Goldwing owners branch) was nothing like a night out with XRV.org - no beer and polite conversation, nevertheless it was great to chat with fellow bikers and very nice of them to invite us along. I now have a standing invite that if I ever return to SLC they will put on a ride out especially for me. Nice.

Pics from the past few days.....

Last Look at the Colorado Rockies - the San Juan Range

Welcome to Utah

Bitsa Jeep, and I mean bits of everything all welded together. At the "world famous" Hole in the Rock" rest area.

We stayed in Moab - take note PaulS - which is USA Vacation Central. Everything and anything was available and just about every square foot of the town was devoted to selling on form or the other of holiday entertainment - mountain biking, Jeeping, "off highway vehicles" (quads etc to you and me), extreme off-roaders with MASSIVE tyres and several feet of suspension, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, kayaking, canoeing, hiking, balloon rides, horse riding/trekking, power boats. Honestly you name it and someone was offering it. We didn't like the place much - it was just a long drawn out 5mile long strip of places selling vacation experiences, horrible looking RV parks and campsites, motels and restaurants. But it does two good national parks on its doorsteps - "Arches" and "Canyonlands".

They give names to lots of the rock features, but not this one for some reason

If you zoom into the picture below you can a jeep and trailer on what looks like a crossroads in the track. There were actually two of them. This is the white rim trail ad takes two days to travel through (100+miles). Permits are required and you must be capable of carrying a minimum of a gallon day per person of water. Judging by the progress made the track must be very rough. There are '000s of miles of trails in the mountains and desert most of which are free to access and after getting into Colorado the amount of dual sport bikes has increased considerably - F800GS and KLR650 being most popular with a lot of them looking like they have been out in the boonies too.

From Moab we headed south towards Monument Valley - about 200miles passing through just two or three non-descript towns but always with stunning scenery and everything feeling like its getting drier and drier. We overnighted in Bluff, which was originally a Mormon settlement dating from around 1870 and the ladies in the visitor centre and the motel still clearly feeling a strong affinity with the original settlers to whom they were not that distantly related - great grandparents in one case.

Pics to follow as we are off to look at huge hole in the ground now called the Grand Canyon

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Great pics Austin

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Have seen updates intermittently on this thread on Tapatalk on my phone and decided not to even bother looking on such a small screen. I've just spent 40 minutes going from start to finish, drooling. What a trip. And - I hate to say it - thanks for sharing.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Well that was fun :). Rocked up in Napa, California to be given a ticket to Naked Wines - which basically meant lots and lots of free wine from local wine producers. Great night pretending I was a wine connoisseur from the UK. We also walked out with £80 worth of vouchers that can be cashed in on the Naked Wines UK website. Happy days. I like California.

Sorry no pics except a snap of some buskers
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401943234.318971.jpg

Much ad i like California, Nevada, well Las Vegas has its upsides too.... I haven't mentioned the little bonus from Las Vegas have I - I would like to say won on the gambling table but we found 2x $100 bills in the street. There was probably more in the bushes by the sidewalk but we were both convinced it was monopoly Money until I discovered $100 bills are legit currency. Anyway it got blown on a fancy meal tonight and paid for last nights hotel - the "King Room" with whirlpool spa bath and a load of other trimmings. We ate pizza in the nude on one of the two king size beds, and drank ready made cocktails from the can, just coz we could :).

Loads and loads of other stuff to write about and pics but photo bucket is a pita - have a look through my album on there or wait a few days for a write up when I have time.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts