Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever attempted to put USD forks on a Transalp 600? If so which ones and how did you go about it? Would be a useful upgrade I think......

S

·
0 Posts
Anything's possible (choose some forks that are the right length, find some yolks or get some custom made, then faff around trying to get the spring rates right, damping adjusted, find a front wheel, disks and calipers that work with the forks etc etc etc etc) but what makes you think it would be so useful on a TA?

If you're trying to make the TA into something it was never designed to be (whatever it is you have in mind), you'd be better off selling it and buying what you really want. If you want USD forks just because KTM et al use them now, then......well, each to his own, but your bike was designed 10-20 years ago and changing the forks alone for modern USD units will not transform it in any positive way unless you also go to town on other areas.

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Anything's possible (choose some forks that are the right length, find some yolks or get some custom made, then faff around trying to get the spring rates right, damping adjusted, find a front wheel, disks and calipers that work with the forks etc etc etc etc) but what makes you think it would be so useful on a TA?

If you're trying to make the TA into something it was never designed to be (whatever it is you have in mind), you'd be better off selling it and buying what you really want. If you want USD forks just because KTM et al use them now, then......well, each to his own, but your bike was designed 10-20 years ago and changing the forks alone for modern USD units will not transform it in any positive way unless you also go to town on other areas.
I have always had good results riding other bikes with USD on handling, and frankly , I know they were designed 10-20 years ago , but I have put progressive springs on and juggled with different weight oils and they are still poo. I have a Koni shock on the back which is aftermarket, and it does everthing I want from it.

The only thing left is revalving them, or USD replacements! I am not after a sports bike, but something that handles as good as my old dominator is not too much to ask for.

Would rather keep stock that worked ok!

S

·
0 Posts
Aside from minor reductions in unsprung mass, the reason for choosing USD forks over conventional ones is that they're stiffer. The TA frame isn't good enough to benefit from stiffer forks.

The reason that the bikes you've ridden with USD forks handle better is that they have more modern suspension (not to mention more modern frames and everything else). It's not because the forks are of the USD variety, but because they're newer and simply better designed, as well as being made using more advanced manufacturing techniques.

The question you should have asked is "Does anyone know of some better forks that I can fit to my TA?". They don't need to be USD. The two choices that you've given yourself (re-valve or USD) aren't the only ones available - you could fit a more modern design of conventional fork which would probably be much easier. Or fit Dominator forks if you like, not that they'll be ideally suited to the heavier TA. But whatever non-standard forks you choose you'll have to experiment with spring rates and damping (or pay someone else to set them up for you), and within the constraints of the design of the rest of the bike if it was me I'd be looking at nothing more extreme than paying someone who knows what they're doing (Maxton, for example) to re-valve the existing forks. Assuming, of course, that they've already been refurbished with new bushes, seals etc and are as good as they can be.

If you still want more, I'd suggest (respectfully) that you consider selling the TA and go and buy one of the bikes with USD forks that you say you've ridden that handles so well. They'll have been designed as a balanced whole.

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you still want more, I'd suggest (respectfully) that you consider selling the TA and go and buy one of the bikes with USD forks that you say you've ridden that handles so well. They'll have been designed as a balanced whole.
Sproggy, I canny do that, I would be a traitor! I love the Transalp as an all rounder, I just wish I could get the front end right!

My old dominator was perfect damping out of the box, shame I couldnt get the same effect from the Transalp! I agree I will give it to someone who knows what they are doing with it.

To clarify 10wt oil 125mm airgap with springs removed and forks fully compressed! WP springs are slightly taller than stock and small wound coils at the top IIRC.

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Has anyone ever attempted to put USD forks on a Transalp 600? If so which ones and how did you go about it? Would be a useful upgrade I think......
USD forks on an @ have been covered in this thread - I would have thought similiar applies to the TA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts