Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a car satnav. Im wondering whether to get a new satnav but bike ones are so expensive and a car one can be got for a lot less. I was wondering if they would fit in an aqua box and still be seen. Im not bothered about having an earpiece to hear it also

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Phil, i use my old Car Navman zip tied to the Ram Mount, works fine but is not Waterproof. My Garmin Nuvi 1390 fits into the Otterbox perfectly, i took the Otterbox to Halfords to see which Sat-Nav would fit tidy.
The Box then just needs Drilling for the Power Cable :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I've used a TomTom Go520 for years and tens of thousand of miles and it's been fine. It's wired to the bike for power and intercom and as well as doing more than the bike specific ones it was a good bit cheaper.

I use a ram mount and I've made little hats for it for use when it's pissing down but light in light rain I tend to put my hand over it when I stop.

I think Jason just lets his get wet and it's not had any problems.

It's one of these things were it to pack up I'd be right on ebay and buy another for £50

Here it is complete with hat on my varadero

·
Administrator
1,781 Posts
I've used cheap car satnavs in a clear-fronted tankbag...... OK,but can be difficult to read as the screens aren't clear in sunlight. I've also used Google maps on my Android phone (in a little clear-fronted bar-bag) which is ok,although you can't use the touchscreen when it'sin the bag- and a bigger problem in some more rural places, if you're out of (phone)signal, the maps etc disappear.
I'm thinking a proper bike satnav is the way to go, using proper OS maps, and with the ability to pre-enter routes using a PC at home.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
I've just downloaded Navmii from the Android market.

The reason I downloaded this one (free) is that I've just downloaded the whole of the UK and ROI (free)

So, due to signal coverage, I can still look for places manually. It is a sat nav as well, but only just done it this morning.

You can also download the whole of Europe for free too I believe, or £3 per country.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
It's all i' ve ever used on the Varadero my Tomtom 510, never given me any probelms and has been saturated several times can't see the point in wasting money on Zumo's and riders. All they are, are NUvi's with big buttons and slightly waterproof

But on the XR i used my Garmin gpsmap60csx as tomtom won't do the same things

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
I've used my Tomtom one V2 on the bike Phil..it's fine.

I saw a waterproof cover on thebay for £20 plus a decent mount and you're away.

Later models show what lane to be in at juctions more clearly, which would save some hassle (you all know that feeling:mrgreen:).

I'll replace mine with a euro version.....get you to the Stella Phil.:)

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
I got one of these cases from ebay (I think this might be an aquabox? or maybe it was an Otterbox?) and modified it fit a ram mount with the satnav inside. A bit over engineered but it's very waterproof, somewhat crashproof, and by making my own connectors on the side of the box it takes the strain off the connectors on the satnav itself. It has a transparent soft plastic screen on the front so I can still use it when its inside the box (with gloves too). I'm not sure if the newer car satnavs would still work like that though (might depend what sort of screen it is - ones that work with an old fashioned stylus would probably work OK). Not sure if they make them any more but you might find one on ebay if not. Sorry about the dodgy photos - took with my phone.

There's a givi satnav holder that seems popular and along similar lines albeit made from fabric rather than plastic (think they do another bigger model with a little bag attached too):

GIVI S950 UNIVERSAL GPS SAT NAV HOLDER CRADDLE NEW | eBay

or some knock offs available cheaply:

Motorcycle motorbike waterproof GPS SatNav phone iphone Mp3 holder with bracket | eBay

You might want to shop around rather than buy from those links though if you want one (might be better prices elsewhere). Not sure how well they work, but I've heard other people say they're happy with them. That condom idea probably works just as well though :D

For the price of a cheap car satnav (particularly some of the chinese versions you can pick up from ebay for around or under the £50 mark - some of which are surprisingly good quality and they're bringing out new models with better specs every few months), I figured it was just wasting money to get a big brand bike specific one myself. They're taking the p1ss with how much extra they charge for a bit of splash proofing imho. (particularly when as other people have mentioned here - standard car models seem to handle a bit of weather and condensation OK already).

satnav1.jpg satnav2.jpg

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
I've used cheap car satnavs in a clear-fronted tankbag...... OK,but can be difficult to read as the screens aren't clear in sunlight. I've also used Google maps on my Android phone (in a little clear-fronted bar-bag) which is ok,although you can't use the touchscreen when it'sin the bag- and a bigger problem in some more rural places, if you're out of (phone)signal, the maps etc disappear.
I'm thinking a proper bike satnav is the way to go, using proper OS maps, and with the ability to pre-enter routes using a PC at home.
Some of the newer phones have a propper built in gps that doesn't rely on the phone signal to get the position. You sometimes need to turn on that functionality though as it's usually turned off by default to save battery power. Might be worth having a look in the settings for your phone to see if that helps. I just use a regular satnav on the bike, but the cheap android phone I got recently the satnav seems to work just as well as the one I use on the bike (so far anyway). I've got some free software on it where you download the maps to the phone so you don't need to rely on a phone or internet connection for the maps to load (though not sure how well the mapping compares to tomtom/garmin etc. in rural areas yet).

This is the one I've got installed:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL

They do a version for the iphone/ipad too. It might work from the phone signal too if you don't have a propper gps built into the phone (not sure about that though). You download the maps to the phone all in one go, so at least it might stop the maps disappearing completely.

P.S. For route planning you might find this useful if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.tyretotravel.com/

You plan the route with google maps then export it to a number of different satnav/gps file formats. Its been years since I used the old version but it seemed to work OK (or looked like it would have if I hadn't decided to completely abandon the routes I planned and follow my nose anyway).

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Does anyone use a car satnav. Im wondering whether to get a new satnav but bike ones are so expensive and a car one can be got for a lot less. I was wondering if they would fit in an aqua box and still be seen. Im not bothered about having an earpiece to hear it also
Phil I've got a GARMIN nuvi and RAM mount waterproof box with 12 volt charging leads.

Your welcome to POP over to see it.
Got the leads from woody's emporium in abercynon

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I use Binatone car satnavs with Memory Map installed to give me OS maps. I just put them in a tank bag with a clear map pocket. As mentioned it is poor in bright sunlight, but not much problem this year!
Memory map will go on any(?) satnav that uses Windows Mobile OS and routes can be set up on the PC for transfer to satnav. I use Binatone as they are cheap and widescreen models are available. Quite a bit on internet on putting Memory Map on ordinary satnavs. It seems that many of the maps can be found on EBay or online.
An earlier post on this
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/travel/72882-memory-map-sat-nav-2.html

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I use my TomTom and the Givi case someone mentioned above..hasn't had a real soaking but has had the odd shower and is fine. It comes with a waterproof inner bag too, although I don't use it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
iPod touch (jail broken) external bluetooth gps (10quid eBay) krussell case and handlebar mount(15 quid the pair) tomtom maps charges quickly and doesn't drain the bike battery and your record collection is at hand

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers for all the help guys, seems its a popular thing to use something sensible and not get ripped off by something that bike specific. Sharrie I do intend to get over to you once this TA is up and running:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
I used to use a car sat nav, either in the tank bag (not ideal) or search waterproof sat nav holder on ebay - get one with bar mount, they work well & only about 15 notes.

In the end god fed up of sitting, programming the thing, only to have it "not" take me on the route I want.
Back to pen & paper for me & do you know what, it's not failed me yet.....:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I used to use a car sat nav, either in the tank bag (not ideal) or search waterproof sat nav holder on ebay - get one with bar mount, they work well & only about 15 notes.

In the end god fed up of sitting, programming the thing, only to have it "not" take me on the route I want.
Back to pen & paper for me & do you know what, it's not failed me yet.....:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
You even got off the housing estate the other week!:-D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Michel that just wrong :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
nunquam scienter utilis
665 Posts
I use a car sat-nav in a ram mount. if it looks like rain, i put a freezer bag over it. it's been in some serious rain with no probs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts