Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gents,

If I wanted to use an earth fed switch (momentary push type) to kill the ignition, which wire do I need to feed the earth to? The standard Domi kill switch just cuts the power to the CDI, but I am trying to simplify the wiring and switches.

Many thanks

Jim

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I'm not sure you can do that with bikes that have batteries

Reactions: bikerjim

·
Administrator
1,776 Posts
I'm not sure you can do that with bikes that have batteries

Earthing anything is likely to upset the electronics. Knowing how touchy the CDI units are, I'd be very wary of trying this. Fine in days of yore earthing the magneto.... but that went out of use 40-50 years ago.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reason I am asking is because I'm considering using a KTM handle bar switch for my build. It is so simple and incorporates everything into one simple bar switch assembly. I was looking through the KTM wiring diagrams and the switch normally uses earth to kill the KTM, however this is fed to an EFI ECU. I'll do some more digging and research and see if I can figure out a simple way of using the normally open switch as a kill.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of interest, how does the side stand/ clutch switch arrangement kill the engine? Or does it just stop it from starting?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Its complicated there are 3 diodes that work with the neutral, side stand and clutch switch, the switches all complete a circuit rather than shorting it out if that makes sense. The standard kill switch on the domi just switches power on and off to the CDI and the CDI is earthed either through the neutral switch or the side stand switch If you used the KTM switch you might find it works the opposite way. If you operated the KTM kill switch in the normal way to stop the bike it would run and when you switched it to the run position the bike would stop. Pulling in the clutch just completes the starter solenoid circuit when the neutral switch isn't made allowing the starter motor to turn when the bike is in gear

Reactions: bikerjim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its complicated there are 3 diodes that work with the neutral, side stand and clutch switch, the switches all complete a circuit rather than shorting it out if that makes sense. The standard kill switch on the domi just switches power on and off to the CDI and the CDI is earthed either through the neutral switch or the side stand switch If you used the KTM switch you might find it works the opposite way. If you operated the KTM kill switch in the normal way to stop the bike it would run and when you switched it to the run position the bike would stop. Pulling in the clutch just completes the starter solenoid circuit when the neutral switch isn't made allowing the starter motor to turn when the bike is in gear
Ok, thanks Fred.

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
You could always do what my old mate did on his 1935 Velo hillclimber when they told him he had to have a kill switch and lanyard to stop engine if he came off. Easy for an oldie like Tony , he attached a piece of string to the plug cap and then to his wrist , it was approved by the scrutineers

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could always do what my old mate did on his 1935 Velo hillclimber when they told him he had to have a kill switch and lanyard to stop engine if he came off. Easy for an oldie like Tony , he attached a piece of string to the plug cap and then to his wrist , it was approved by the scrutineers
He he, brilliant, I'll keep that one in my back pocket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts