Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We all know how 'soft' the Honda crosshead bolts and screws are - and I've been searching for quite a while for a quality tool that would allow me to keep them in as good a condition as possible.

To that end, I eventually found a Japanese tool company (VESSEL) that makes exactly the right tools for this :D:D - Read On...................

The perfect screwdriver for your Honda screws.

Your Africa Twin (or any Japanese motorbike) uses JIS screws NOT Phillips screws, so why not use the correct Japanese manufactured tool to save damaging them.

Ever wondered why your Phillips screwdrivers keep rounding out on your Honda screws? Well basically Honda (and all of the major Japanese manufacturers) use JIS screws (Japanese Industry Standard) and not Phillips screws that we are used to.

JIS screwdrivers will fit perfectly into the screwhead and not slip or round out as they usually do if using a Phillips screwdriver.

JIS looks much like a Phillips screw, but is designed not to 'cam out' and will, therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight. The driver has a 57 degree point with a flat tip, parallel wings.

JIS screwdrivers will work perfectly well with both JIS screws and Phillips screws, but a Philips screwdriver will only be of optimum use on a Phillips screw and will likely damage a JIS screw.

Give your bike the treatment it deserves and use the proper tools to save the original fasteners.

We have put the following sets into the Rugged Roads shop :thumbup: (you'll find them in the Workshop & Tools section):
  • JIS Screwdriver Set - Vessel Megadora Stubby P1 and P2
  • JIS Screwdriver Set - Vessel Megadora Thin Shank P0 and P00
  • JIS Screwdriver Set - Vessel Megadora Extra Long P2 and 6mm Slotted
  • JIS Screwdriver Set - Vessel Megadora Standard P1. P2, and P3
  • JIS Screwdriver Set - Vessel Super Cushion P1. P2, and P3
  • JIS Screwdriver - Vessel Megadora IMPACTA P3x150
  • JIS Screwdriver - Vessel Megadora IMPACTA P2x100

1 - Megadora

VESSEL TOOLS 900 Series
VESSEL MEGADORA JAWSFIT SCREWDRIVER

The 900 Series is a standard screwdriver that features a JAWSFIT tip.
  • JIS JAWSFIT tip that grips the screw and doesn’t cause CAM-OUT
  • A knurled shank keeps hands from slipping in fast turning
  • Fully hardened chrome vanadium steel shank
  • High precision black tip point
Great for:
  • Stripped Screws
  • Rusted Screws
  • Stuck Screws
Slip-Proof Handle:
MEGADORA models are equipped with the most advanced triple-molded handle for comfort. The corners of the hexagonal cross-section are molded with elastomer for a soft fit and high torque transmission.

The kit contains 3 JIS Screwdrivers – P1, P2 and P3

Country of Origin - JAPAN
Manufacturers Warranty - Limited Lifetime

2 - Super Cushion

VESSEL TOOLS 700 Series
VESSEL SUPER CUSHION SCREWDRIVER

The 700 Series is a standard screwdriver that features a Super Cushion, Gel-Like Handle for maximum comfort and ensures the operator maximum torque to the tip
  • Fits “JIS” Japanese Industrial Standards screw heads
  • Slim design makes it easy to insert into screwdriver holders
  • Black chrome plated steel shank
  • Patented design
Great for:
  • Stripped Screws
  • Rusted Screws
  • Stuck Screws
Super Cushion Handle:
SUPER CUSHION models are equipped with gel-resin grip handles that fit comfortably in the palm of your hand. This ensures the operator maximum torque while tightening.

The kit contains 3 JIS Screwdrivers – P1, P2 and P3

3 - Impacta

VESSEL TOOLS 980 Series
VESSEL MEGADORA "IMPACTA" SCREWDRIVER

The 980 Series "Impacta" is a revolutionary screwdriver that features a built-in impact driven screw removal function.
  • Tang-Thru nut with cam rotation mechanism
  • Non-slip surface secures a firm grip even when your hands are covered with oil
  • High precision black tip point
Great for:
  • Stripped Screws
  • Rusted Screws
  • Stuck Screws
The proprietary Tang-Thru nut incorporates a cam rotation mechanism, which turns the driving tip counter-clockwise by 12° when the handle is hit with a hammer.
The "Impacta" leverages impact acceleration to remove stuck screws.

Slip-Proof Handle:
When used with oil covered hands, tightening torque is 26% higher with the "Impacta" than with other VESSEL screwdrivers.

I've been using these for a few months now on my Africa Twins - and yes, they really do make a difference
:thumbright::D

·
Registered
552 Posts
Good products :thumbup:
I read somewhere that these are practically a must for working on carbs if you want to avoid chance of ruining screws. Didn't know they were used on the rest of bike parts also.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Good info Jonathan, the way to identify a JIS screw - it hss a round dot punchmark on the head.
If you don't have the correct jis screwdriver, a good posidrive has much better grip than a phillips driver or you could chance your arm with the cheap one in the bikes' tool kit!

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Very comprehensive Jonathan

·
Registered
755 Posts
Thanks Jonathan, I hadn't even realised that the JIS screws were a separate thing in their own right :)

I've got a selection of regular drivers in my toolbox, but usually I go for my Halford's pro ratchet driver and pick the closest appropriate bit...

Looks like a JIS set may be on my Xmas list... ;)

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Rated as TOP ARTICLE :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

So JIS is neither Pozidrive nor Philips. That´s why I continue to mess up screwheads unless I use the one single screwdriver from the AT´s and TA´s standard equipment. No mo´, Sire; I shall properly equip myself hereforth!!! Thank you very much indeed.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Rated as TOP ARTICLE :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

So JIS is neither Pozidrive nor Philips.
Correct as mentioned, JIS screws are identified by a single punch dot on their head, if they don't have the punch dot they are almost certainly Phillips

Phil

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big delivery from Japan this morning :D - so now have a larger range - you'll find them in the Workshop & Tools section):
  • JIS Screwdriver Set - Vessel Megadora Stubby P1 and P2
  • JIS Screwdriver Set - Vessel Megadora Thin Shank P0 and P00
  • JIS Screwdriver Set - Vessel Megadora Extra Long P2 and 6mm Slotted
  • JIS Screwdriver Set - Vessel Megadora Standard P1. P2, and P3
  • JIS Screwdriver Set - Vessel Super Cushion P1. P2, and P3
  • JIS Screwdriver - Vessel Megadora IMPACTA P3x150
  • JIS Screwdriver - Vessel Megadora IMPACTA P2x100

·
Registered
146 Posts
I guess a little freebie if you have a Japanese car is in the little tool kit in the boot, When I was an apprentice 25yrs ago in a Toyota dealership we used to take the screwdrivers outta the boot to keep for ourselves! I always wondered back then why they were such a good screwdriver

You can also get 1/4" JIS bits for any of these multi purpose screwdriver handles which is much cheaper than buying a set of screwdrivers for £30ish

http://www.rjrcooltools.com/vessel.cfm

Cheers

Reactions: alias

·
Registered
3 Posts
Haha Jakethepeg007, I to was a Toyota mechanic and had relocated a few ? screwdrivers in my time. I'm glad I was not the only one.

AL

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts