Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lane 2 of 3 (or lane 2 of 2 for that matter) is only to be used when you are in the act of overtaking a slower vehicle or immediately prior to leaving the carriageway to the right.

Why, then, on motorways and dual carriageways up and down the land do so few people use lane 1?

Bikers do it too - on the A40 yesterday I came along lane 1 to find three tourers at a steady 65mph in lane 2. I couldn't pass them in lane 3 as a car travelling slightly faster than me was moving into that space. Lane 1 was completely empty.

Will someone please explain this to me.

(and long-term readers will recall that I was let off a ban for riding a sports-bike at 107 last year. The reason: because my returning to lane 1 after overtaking showed such good road-craft. Let that be a lesson!)

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
I only sit in the middle lane if i'm making progress, i.e. doing 90 for long periods and there is a lot of traffic in lane 1 and i get fed up of constantly doing my offside head check, moving to lane 2, doing a nearside headcheck and moving back to lane 1 every 2 minutes.

Even when sat in lane 2 i constantly check mirrors to see if anyone needs to get past me (thers always someone wants to go quicker than you no matter your speed) so i think it's a good idea to keep checking.

There is one reason i don't like lane 1 and thats because the wagons use that lane and leave ruts in it and you can feel it dragging the bike about.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
I work a few days a month going round doing home visits and the company I do it for provide a driver/ assistant - so I feel like Royalty I suppose.

One particular day I was with a 'young' lady and she consistently drove in lane 2 on the motorway..... I asked her why and she told me that she was scared of making a mistake when initiating the lane change... so you have guessed it ! - get in that lane and stay there simples!

I notice the 2nd lane hogger is also more prevalent at weekends - ie people who do not drive regular.

On your note PDSquire the tourer was also a weekend cage driver.

Having driven in the USA I thought that the idea of undertaking and overtaking was a good idea leaving progress to be made by yourself if you wanted to change lanes BUT I don't think the regular UK driver can manage to compute that - you only have to see what happens when there are 4 lanes on the motorway - crap I no longer have a 'middle' lane to stay in !!!!

Rant over

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
The High way code says you must drive / ride on the in the left lane and use lane 2 and 3 for overtaking then go back into lane 1.
Some Muppet's however dont read the high way code and think because they have paid their road tax they own the road. I see this daily on the motorway and if lane 1 is clear I stay in lane 1 undertake them which is breaking the high way code then give them the finger and other verbal encouragement to get out of the middle lane.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
I think part of the problem at weekends is the sunday driver, they took their test /learnt to drive in the days when motorways/dual carriage lanes where described as lanes as slow /middle and fast lane,
and they have not read a highway code since, all they do is get into a car and blindly point it roughly in the direction they want too go,
they are also the type that drive with their rear fog light on all the time on the motorway,because they are/were referred too in some areas incorrectly as motorway lights, you see them going down the slip road and the lights come on,

Having seen on another forum a guys father was called in for a test at the age of 81 and when asked to read the number plate on the car could barely see the car let alone the number plate, I think it is about time the retesting thing came in,
I know a lot of people will say oh its not fair blah blah , but at tjhe end of the day a motor vehicle is a dangerous item and the reason for having a licence is for your own safety and everyone elses, Old people will harp on about their freedom etc. Why do we give em bus passes then??
so yes a lot of this middle lane hogging is down to needing to educate the steering wheel attendants,
Oh and before you start on about trucks we are as pissed off about speed limiters not allowing you to get past things as you are sitting behind trucks,
if only the truck that is being passed would back of a bit and let ya get on things would be improved no end, but then when they do back off every other truck behind pulls out too pass so it does not always help, but we are delivering your food etc, if you are on a little jolly in your car etc just think we do this for a living to bring your goods, not for our pleasure
merv

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Sympathise with you Merv, been there done it, glad not to do it anymore.

It will never get any better lads the numpties believe they are doing it right and there is no-one with the balls to educate them.
After TLD2009 myself and Panrider were on the M25 making progress:D and then the trafic in lane three slowed, there was a marked police mini bus full of uniform hogging the lane, we got some weird looks as we undertook but probably got away with it due to the kraut plates.

One major flaw in the lerning process and earning your licence is that motorway driving is not covered. Dont know about other countries but here Night Driving and Motorway Driving have compulsary hours that the instructor has to cover with students, aswell as classroom theory and first aid, doesn't make them much better but they dont have the excuse they were not taught.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
I still can't beleive motorway driving and night driving are not part of the learning process. I was lucky as i'd been riding motorways etc on my bike for years before doing my car test so took to it no bother. My sister on the other hand is terrified of slip roads as she panics trying to merge into the traffic and has yet to do it although she has a full licence, this should be taught.

I have to admit i undertake quite a lot on motorways, if i move out to L2 to overtake a vehicle in L1 and some idiot in L3 is doing 70 and no one is in front of him i just go past. Too many times i have moved into L3 and sat behind the vehicle weaving from side to side (once even blasting my horn to try and get there attention) and they just sit absolutely oblivious to anything behind them as they don't use the mirrors so i don't bother now and just saunter past regardless.

I think it's about time we caught up with the likes of the USA and allowed overtaking in any lane, it's a silly law that you can not when clear and safe progress can be made.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Again the problem of changing rules or introducing new is the education, they dont use their mirrors now so I undertake with caution and normally with bags of power left if I need it.
I firmly believe that if every licence holder had to sit a highway code test now 80% would fail,

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Right WinXP-Master, I'm afraid I'm going to criticise you.
The fact that you don't want the inconvenience of moving your head , indicating and changing lanes more often, does not give you the right to stay in the middle lane.
It's laziness. Yes, I know it's easier, but etiquette, morals and all that.
Sorry to jump on you, but middle lane hoggers should be..................

L

·
0 Posts
Even worse are the ones who sit at 60 in the fast lane and when you come up behind them they move over to the central reservation as they think that becuase you;re on a bike that you'll filter through at 70+ :(

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Speaking from years of experience driving & riding in the Netherlands, this is a bigger problem in the UK than it is in the Netherlands. However, living in Belgium now, it's a problem here too.

In the Netherlands, you can get a ticket for unnecessarily driving on the left (right in the UK), and it's not cheap (60 or 90 euros if I'm not mistaken).

I normally pass on the correct side then indicate and pass all the way back to the slow lane right in front of them. The boy racer in me wants to cut them off, but my more mature self tends to prevent that from happening.

I've seen people on the middle lane when there was no traffic in front of them for at least a mile! Really gets on my nerves!

With regard to overtaking lorries, I understand they need to, although sometimes I wish they wouldn't in busy rush hour traffic. I have a special brand of hatred for the people who see a lorry overtaking in front of me (and me keeping a safe distance) who then continue to ride my rear fender. They make my trigger finger itch!

JB

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Right WinXP-Master, I'm afraid I'm going to criticise you.
The fact that you don't want the inconvenience of moving your head , indicating and changing lanes more often, does not give you the right to stay in the middle lane.
It's laziness. Yes, I know it's easier, but etiquette, morals and all that.
Sorry to jump on you, but middle lane hoggers should be..................
I only sit in the middle lane if i'm making progress, i.e. doing 90 for long periods and there is a lot of traffic in lane 1 and i get fed up of constantly doing my offside head check, moving to lane 2, doing a nearside headcheck and moving back to lane 1 every 2 minutes.

Even when sat in lane 2 i constantly check mirrors to see if anyone needs to get past me (thers always someone wants to go quicker than you no matter your speed) so i think it's a good idea to keep checking.
Someone should have went to specsavers :rolleyes:

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
By the way, me saying every 2 minutes, was a figure of speech and not an accurate measurement of time or a clear and precise indication of the length of time to the next vehicle.

Am i supposed to drive down the motorway leapfrogging cars in L1 as i move constantly from L1 to L2 as i want to go 10 or 20mph faster than all the vehicles in L1? utter madness!!!

My understanding of a MLH is a vehicle that drives in the middle lane (usually doing well under 70mph) when there is no other traffic in L1, forcing approaching traffic in L1 to switch to L2 then L3 to overtake and having to go back to L2 then L1... I'm pretty sure i didn't say that i did that, and if you have taken that from reading my post then again...specsavers dude :thumbleft:

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Am i supposed to drive down the motorway leapfrogging cars in L1 as i move constantly from L1 to L2 as i want to go 10 or 20mph faster than all the vehicles in L1? utter madness!!!
When I did my IAM training I was told to pull back in if I was going to be in lane 2 any longer then 10 secs.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
When I did my IAM training I was told to pull back in if I was going to be in lane 2 any longer then 10 secs.
Pull back or pull in?... so you are telling me if you moved into L2 (at this point we assume L2 is clear ahead) and L1 is full of traffic as far down as you can see then you would pull back in on the assumption that you will be travelling in L2 longer than 10 seconds?...

lmao...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Pull back or pull in?... so you are telling me if you moved into L2 (at this point we assume L2 is clear ahead) and L1 is full of traffic as far down as you can see then you would pull back in on the assumption that you will be travelling in L2 longer than 10 seconds?...

lmao...
Stop being awkward - you know what he means. :rolleyes:

I also was taught in the Army when doing an advanced driving ciurse that you should pull back into the left-hand lane if it is going to take much longer than 10-15 seconds to catch the next vehicle you are going to overtake.

The problem with this country is lack of enforcement. If the pi... police were to actually start enforcing the rules people would eventually get in line. The problem is it's easier to just change the highway code to suit the latest crap driving style. When I started driving the way to turn right with another car was offside to offside...it's now either offside/offside or nearside/nearside. So everyone does it nearside/nearside because you can cut the corner and be less precise in the maneouver.

People should take pride in having a skill and endeavour to improve it so they are alway the best they can be (still be some muppets out there though). Instead folks think that because someone gave them a licence once then they don't need to practice, learn or keep up with the latest rules.

Stopping now before I really get going :blob6:

BTW The highway code has never referred to the lanes of any road as the Slow or Fast lane. That's just another piece of perceived wisdom from Reginald Molesworth - driver extraordinaire

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
but that could potentially leave you stuck in L1 for ages. and nowadays not many people seem to have the patience for that despite it being elitist practise among the more advanced of us....

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
That'll teach you WinXP-Master :D
Fiery Jack will help with your sore neck from looking over your shoulders:rolleyes:

No disrepect meant

John

1 - 20 of 119 Posts