Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Yokel In Utah
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been here nearly 3 months now (and excuse any misspelling as a) Loki the Shih-Tzu likes to try and interrupt my typing, and b) I'm picking up Americanizations :laughing9:), and time to reflect on the start (and basically end) of my 2011 riding season. It's been a hectic last year (we started the fiancé visa petition at the end of November last year, got approved in April, interview in July and emigration on August 23), hence why I haven't been on the site much.

As many know, I changed my AT for a Bonneville in the UK in early 2010, and then, in preparation for my emigration, sold the Bonnie in May this year.

I emigrated to Utah in August, got married in September to my lovely spouse:

and bought a 2008 KLR 650 at the start of October. It came with SW-Motech crash bars and skid plate, TKC tyres and Barkbusters hand guards, which was a nice bonus :hello1:, and only 5,000 on the clock, too.

Moving here has meant having to retake my driving tests for my Utah license, so I took the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Experienced Rider Course (cones around a car park) which also included the Utah rider skills course, after passing the multiple choice theory test (hmm, for the car license the theory test was 'open book' where I could look up the answers, but the bike one was memory only..). There was only two of use on the course - me on the KLR, another guy on a Harley (naturally :D) and the instructor on a Kawasaki Vulcan (live long and prosper!).

The following week (I'm not working yet as I'm still awaiting my Employment Authorization Document (work permit thingy) I took advantage of a sunny warmish day to go for a ride:

Left around 2.30, rode down into Salt Lake City then up Emigration Canyon, dodging the cyclists.

Then along UT65 to East Canyon reservoir:

A lovely day, with the foliage changing color nicely, warm and sunny :D A bit blustery coming back west along I-84 from Morgan to Ogden, though :laughing9:

More pics here

I shall hopefully report back more next year (we had our first snowfall - and power outage - of winter on Saturday morning, only a couple inches of the white stuff though) as there's lots of roads and tracks in the state, being on the edge of a desert in two directions, and an arm of the Rockies in another (we live at 4000ft, some of the passes are up around 7-8000ft). A fair number of people from ADVRider around here too, naturally, to show me the local ropes :thumbup: My parents are getting me a GoPro Hero2 helmet cam for my 40th birthday, so that could be interesting :laughing9:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
You jammy fecker , I'm chuffed things are working out for you mate :)
Keep safe and don't be a stranger :)

·
Stone Crazy
5,307 Posts
Sam
good to hear things are going well, I wondered where you had got too, now you are doing the same as Scott on the yamclub forum and making me jealous of that scenery
merv

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
I did a bike test very similar to that in California in 1984....:)

Good stuff Samwise......Is you a Mormon now then?...you'll have to get some of those cowboy longjohns with a 'trap door' then. :happy8:

Beer still weak in Utah? :confused:

·
Yokel In Utah
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, not a Moron - my wife was until she hit her teens and started asking questions that they couldn't answer :laughing9:

It does mean I don't need to wear the "magic underwear" either :iconbiggrin:

Beer in the grocery store is still at 3.2% by weight (4% by volume) and nothing else is sold there - you can get the stronger brews and other alkyhol from the state liquor stores, and obviously stronger beers from the breweries too.

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Happy days Ben :thumbright:

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Envious? Jealous? Me? Nahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Has your wife got a sister? Do you have a spare room? Any space in he garage for another bike? Can I book my ticket now??

"I love it when a plan comes together" Nice one, congratulations :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one Ben

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Hey Ben,

I was wondering what happened to you :D

Keep the pics coming, looks absolutely stunning.
Looks like you landed on your feet fella, nice one :thumb::D

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
See Ben, I said a report from Utah would go down well ! :thumbup:

Thanks for the recent export advice,I went ahead and bought it. Now for all the paper work. :)

Don't forget,we want snow'n stuff in the next ride report. :D

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Hi Sam,good to see you back on here :thumbup:
Utah he says,now that is cool. You will get a fair few pm's from me in the future as Deb and I are planning a little ride in your part of the world for 2013.
Always good to have someone with local knowledge to ask a million question :cool:

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
And we'll want reports from speed week at the salt flats (well I would anyways), you can't move to Utah and not do the speed week, or at least a few days of it!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Hi Sam,good to see you back on here :thumbup:
Utah he says,now that is cool. You will get a fair few pm's from me in the future as Deb and I are planning a little ride in your part of the world for 2013.
Always good to have someone with local knowledge to ask a million question :cool:
Sorry Ben, I feel responsible now...............We could always tell him you've moved again ? :)

·
Yokel In Utah
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No probs, Soho, it's all good!

PM away, oh follower of the dark side of the farce :D

Speed Week next year may be viewed - I know someone from Canada on ADV comes down with, I think, a racing Porsche to take part. Hmm, Miller Motorsports Park isn't far away either for WSB.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Nice photos (of the bike, of course).

I think you should become a motorcycle Mormon - instead of having more than one wife, you can have more than one bike:thumb:

·
Posh Bird
562 Posts
Oooh.... looks so lovely.

Congrats on the move. Have you been to the Moab area? Absolutely stunning there, I highly recommend it. It'll knock your socks off!! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts