Honda XRV Forum banner
3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  gsdman 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
My 1st carb balancers were these cheap blue ones years ago. I must admit Lutin, I found them totally useless & chucked them. I couldn't even get consistent results with a pair of gauges running off the same cylinder when trying to calibrate them.....maybe they were just duff.

Davida gauges are good as are Morgan Carbtunes (mine did have a slightly sticky rod from new tho) but work ok with a gentle tap. Davida gauges just seem to work well all the time & the ones I'd buy if choosing again.

Phil

#8 ·
Well Guy's as usual quite alot of imput and a mixed bag of experience. I have plopped for the Morgan carbtune set and we will see.
The reason Ive decided to buy some is the uneven tickover on the @. I thought it was just the characteristics of the engine as I thought it run well,l but had no bench mark to go on as ive never rode or known anyone with one. When I was down at the Wessex Wanderer I got Ian (alias Yen Powell) as he as done more miles on @'s than Neil Armstrong as done in a space rocket. His verdict was, he thought the bike rode really well in all areas the only thing he said was the tickover was not as steady as it should be and suggested a possible choke issue. I know it wasnt the choke as I have had the cables and plungers off and they were in good order and the choke operates ok. So im going to balance the carbs and if that does not sort it I will go through the lot, valve clearances, carb strip clean and reseal, new plugs, airfilter, I have already had the fueltaps off and checked the filters, put a new inline fuel filter on when I put the facet on. I have checked all the breathers for traps, I dont know if im doing the right thing just for a slightly uneven tickover as the bike rides nice, and I could make things worse. What do ya think Boy's.
Cheers Tez:teeth:

#9 ·
I have got a set of Morgan carbtune gauges, the old fashioned sort with the mercury in them.

When I tried to balance Chad's RD04 about a month ago (same model as yours Terry) we could not get it to balance. We pulled the choke cables apart cleaned them up and cleaned the choke bodies and tried again. Same problem.

We removed the cables and refitted the plungers and blanked the chokes off. Result.Two balanced carbs and a steady tickover.

Course it might have gone bang since then!

#10 ·
Hey up Ian, I have disconnected the chokes and blanked them off and its still exactly the same as it was with it connected. So obviously there's something else at play. So over the next week i will endevour to get to the bottom of it.
Hope alls well with you mate.
Cheers Tez

#11 ·
When you blank off the chokes you have to refit the plungers and ensure the blanking plug you use pushes the plunger all the way down the tube or you will have mixture issues.

#12 ·
I have used the original unions that the choke cable fits into with the plungers and springs behind it screwed it home then sealed with silicone. I have only blanced off the choke to proove a point as I believe that the choke was working ok and there is another issue at play. When I get the gauges I will attempt to balance the carbs before doing anything else. If I manage to balance them then I will reconnect the choke cables and see what happens. If the problem still persists then its a methodical sorting job. In my poinion the choke should work and should be connected as Mr Honda intended.
Regards Tez

#14 ·
Hi Tony, Yeah as you can see Ive gone for the Carbtune 4 guages as Im the same re:- you never know if you might need to set up a 4 even if its only for a stranger or mate. There's not a fat long wrong but I enjoy tinkering and getting to the bottom of things. For me its a part of owning a bike like this is the fact you can mess about without spoiling a fat lot. Hope alls well down your neck of the woods T and your gettin out and about.
:blob6:Regards Tez

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.