Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the BMW final drive, but his last ride on a bike.

Yes, you guessed he totally wiped out the zebra's rear wheel bearings.:hitler:

Meesh will be along shortly with photos from her mobile of the before and after pics.

I have never seen a set of bearings completely exploded like that. When I got the wheel off they fell out one by one. The outer casing was left (very firmly stuck in) but the rest just rolled out.

So at least we now know why his final drives keep failing. It must be the way he rides;).

Just kidding, Pete, the Zebra is ready for collection again, if you need it.

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
perhaps you should have filled the topbox with spare wheel bearings, chain and sprockets, a spare gearbox or two...............

Cant believe you dropped the zebra Pete.........:D:D:D:D:D

you have the midas touch.............

everything you touch turns to ****.......

you must be due some good luck by now.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Vader has the zebra back again. I reckon, based on the BMW final drives, I have about 13,000 miles before he cripples the next set of bearings in spectacular style;).

Funny thing was, last night a mate rang me and left a message saying he had just parked his bike next to my zebra at the Dome on the way to see Peter Gabriel and was I there too.

One slightly un-nerving thing, as Debs pointed out, was that Vader phoned this morning saying he thought the wheel bearings had gone. And he was right.

Is this first recorded incidence of Vader getting and engineering/mechanical observation right?:thumb:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, Meesh's pics

Number 1

No real reason for including this one except to show all you bald bastards that, at 44, I still have full head of hair:D

Here are the bearings after Lord Vader had ridden the bike, plus what they should have looked like:

I simply could not get the outer rim out.

The AXA Assistance guy (via Carole Nash) turned up and said he was not allowed to use his screwdrivers as a drift. Once he realised we could not put the wheel back on and get the bike into the van for recovery back to mine, he relented.

He was really helpful and, actually, really chuffed to have managed to repair the bike roadside. He said most people don't want to repair their bikes they want them dropped off at the garage and then taken home.

He gave me a screwdriver about two foot long and hammer Chad would have been proud of.:cool:

Once I had the outer ring out it was about ten minutes to get the new bearings back in and the wheel back on.

As he pointed out, the key to a success with any Honda, is a bigger hammer.:thumbup:

Vader has the bike for another week. but I have more spare bearings just in case. Just need to buy a bigger hammer.:D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should add here, a big thanks to Sean again for the Working bee on Saturday.

I won't have time to download my pics and write a report but suffice to say that the next one is in secret to ensure Jaqueslemac does not turn up and make us change his tyres again.

That was the hardest thing I have ever done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hi, lookin at your photo of the wheel bearing, it happened 2 me last year, went 4 a kwik blast around brecon & i had a brown trouser moment on my varadero... i would swear my bearings r in that photo

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm just glad we were able to find the Zebra after our heart stopping thoughts that he too may have been kidnapped like Ben was.... and really pleased to know its now all fixed.

btw I couldn't see the pics on my computer ? Did they post up alright or is it just my machine? - ah! its ok now.... just a slow machine - the pics are there for me now!

Meesh x :sunny:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I bet your Final drive coat less than the BMW's.:D

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
No real reason for including this one except to show all you bald bastards that, at 44, I still have full head of hair:D
Only 44? I thought you were older. :D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
84 Posts
he;s my work/shift partner,good bloke is pete he told me all about it couple off hours ago

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
:clown:not again:clown:

farcanal chris i would say you eeked every last bit of life out of that bearing before pete got anywhere near it:D:D

·
Registered
6,174 Posts

Poor Chris. Not enough testosterone to cause even the slightest hint of thinning :D.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem. :thumbup:
Percussive fault finding is the first thing to try with electrics. Give stuff a smack and when it starts working you know which bit is on the way out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts