Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Photographicsafaris
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya I've been offered (in the UK) an XLR250 Baja - twin headlamp model complete with larger Acerbis tank, and 8 months MOT

Any thoughts on what its worth? I am viewing tomorrow evening so would like to be able to negotiate around a reasonable price. First time I saw it I was excited, but really wanted a Larger bike, ie 600cc, but this would really suit me to the ground for green lanes and a short commute, plus the ability to undertake the HUMM challenge perhaps....

Also any thoughts on what its like on road - motorways, will it sit at 70 and will it be able to manage brief spurts of 80? (Miles per hour)

Or

Do I need to stay off motorways?

Many thanks in advance G

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Hiya I've been offered (in the UK) an XLR250 Baja - twin headlamp model complete with larger Acerbis tank, and 8 months MOT. Any thoughts on what its worth? I am viewing tomorrow evening so would like to be able to negotiate around a reasonable price.
WEEEELL, they're getting old but there aren't too many about and having more candle-power and a larger tank means you don't need a van or a trailer to get it home. At the right time of year I'd give £1,300 for a good one without a moment's thought, £1,600 if pushed and I'd had some payments in. But I'd need to live near some trails before I'd make the investment (see below)

First time I saw it I was excited, but really wanted a larger bike, ie 600cc, but this would really suit me to the ground for green lanes and a short commute, plus the ability to undertake the HUMM challenge perhaps...
It really is a cracking bike off-road but soon runs out of puff.

Also any thoughts on what its like on road - motorways, will it sit at 70 and will it be able to manage brief spurts of 80? (Miles per hour)
In a word, awful! It's a Honda so if you can bear it, it will sit at 70 all day but your oil will need changing. 60 is more like it, with occasional spurts to 70. On road-legal knobblies it bucks about like an angry steer. There's no shortage of involvement

Many thanks in advance G
I used one of these in South America where it was simply unbeatable. Astoundingly able and durable, unstoppable and easy to handle. It's a classic and that fact holds its own attraction.

As an everyday, sole bike it would do for a ten mile commute at moderate speed, and if you live near some BOATs then you'll just love the thing.

If you expect more of it on road though, perhaps you should revert to your first plan of something bigger. :thumbright:

·
Photographicsafaris
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks will keep a note on the 60MPH and stay off highways.

The prices mentioned seem relevant and in line with what i thought, so I need to look at whats offered at a much lower price, 8 months MOT.

Any thoughts on what i should be looking out for?
Other than:
Exhaust headders
Seized / stripped threads on engine casing
Electrics in working order (How do i test that it is charging if it has a battery?)

Its a question of what the Engine is like.

·
Photographicsafaris
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brought £600

Well well see how it goes, Acerbis fuel tank needs sorting out with fuel in the lobestoo low for the petcock...

Anyhooo rode it home and tied it up behind the gate we' ll see how long it takes to get stolen.

ignition not there, so need new set of keys and ignigtion barrel anyone any thoughts?
... I have the V5! and need some TLC so a new ignition, probably a new rear tyre and also a indicator relay
but all in all a great little kick start bike

Sorry a bit torn, watched Algeria thrash Uk 0-0 tonight...>!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts