Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been checking the valve clearances on my XL700 and I've hit an issue.

The rear cylinder was all okay but the front was so out that you couldn't even insert a 0.05 feeler gauge. I adjusted the valves to the right settings and checked several times that they were correct before re-building.

She's now all re-built and back together but the issue is that when I started her up the front tappets are knocking like mad!

Does anyone have any idea why this is?
I had turned the crankshaft until the FT mark was aligned correctly but when you turn the crankshaft it would turn easily and smoothly most of the way round but would then drag for about 1/8-1/4 turn and then free up again. Never having done this before I assumed this was normal but could I have a problem elsewhere that is affecting the valves?

I'm going to go and strip her down again and check them again but does anyone have any useful suggestions??

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
It sounds like you have set them at tdc on the valve overlap rather than tdc on the compression stroke.
If in doubt, watch the valves - if one pair are opening as the others are closing (valves on same cylinder) as you get to the ft/rt mark, turn the crank a further full 360* turn.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've just been checking the valve clearances on my XL700 and I've hit an issue.

Does anyone have any idea why this is?
I had turned the crankshaft until the FT mark was aligned correctly but when you turn the crankshaft it would turn easily and smoothly most of the way round but would then drag for about 1/8-1/4 turn and then free up again. Never having done this before I assumed this was normal but could I have a problem elsewhere that is affecting the valves?

Thanks.
It sounds like (the dragging and freeing up) you didn't take out the sparkplugs. So what you are actually experiencing is the compression stroke. This will make it impossible to get TDC as the compression will drive the piston past it.

Did you take both sparkplugs out?

This also, if you want, lets you put something soft down the plug hole to show when tdc is reached.

·
Registered
268 Posts
.........could I have a problem elsewhere that is affecting the valves?.........
If it was running OK before, it's very unlikely there's an issue with the valvetrain. Watch the following vid...not trying to be patronizing; I've been messing with engines since I was a nipper and this is by far the easiest way to depict what's going on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg0x4_mQd9M.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like you called it right (PigUglyShandyDrinker) about TDC. I thought I'd not got it at TDC when I first adjusted but I was obviously wrong! (Sorry Corkboy but I had taken the spark plugs out)
After several spins I managed to align it correctly and get the valves adjusted correctly this time.
The good news is that I stripped her down to re-adjust the valves without needing to check the service guide once so my mistake certainly had a silver lining! Let's just hope that I can remember it all again in another 43,000 miles!!!

That video was actually very informative Jonathan and I didn't think you were being patronising at all ... just very helpful.

She is now all back together. Thoroughly washed, polished and was sparkling until I took her out and got her dirty again. It's a good job I don't take her off-road as she's filthy enough just being used on the road!

Now to work out why my horn has stopped working and to fit some brighter headlight bulbs then I'll be very happy with how she's running :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Looks like you called it right (PigUglyShandyDrinker) about TDC. I thought I'd not got it at TDC when I first adjusted but I was obviously wrong! (Sorry Corkboy but I had taken the spark plugs out)
After several spins I managed to align it correctly and get the valves adjusted correctly this time.
The good news is that I stripped her down to re-adjust the valves without needing to check the service guide once so my mistake certainly had a silver lining! Let's just hope that I can remember it all again in another 43,000 miles!!!

That video was actually very informative Jonathan and I didn't think you were being patronising at all ... just very helpful.

She is now all back together. Thoroughly washed, polished and was sparkling until I took her out and got her dirty again. It's a good job I don't take her off-road as she's filthy enough just being used on the road!

Now to work out why my horn has stopped working and to fit some brighter headlight bulbs then I'll be very happy with how she's running :)
Glad you managed to get it sorted. :D
I reckon bikes run better when they're all spruced up....wholly psychological of course, but shiney paintwork always seems to shave a good 5 minutes of the commute ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts