Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having a 2002 carb'd Vara, I bought one of the last Varaderos in 2014 (manufactured 2011) and now it has done 27,400 mainly on long trips around Europe. I was just wondering how long the CCTs are good for? I don't hear any nasty rattles or anything so I'm just wondering whether it's a good thing to do at the current mileage.

Also, I believe I should have had the valve clearances checked at 16K so I'm wondering whether people that do have found that their valve tolerances wander much? I don't fancy doing the job and there's not many I would trust to do it right.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
not a lot of varadero activity on hear lately since big trialie forum started a good few people defected . you do know there is the varadero uk forum and varadero and cross tourer international forums too . for a quick result to your question put your question in the search bar of the forums even in google . I read on a thread a while back that it was only the early varadero 1000's that gave tensioner trouble and manual tensioners being a safe bet the later bikes are fine from what I remember well maybe keep an eye on them as the miles pile on . we have a member hear who racked up big mileages on both Africa twins and varadero's who bough a Kawasaki versy 1000 . I know what you mean about trusting mechanics and not fancying doing it yourself but if you do you know its been done . I have yet to check valve clearances on a bike but its my intention to do my own . I have paid to have it done a few times was it done or not ? your guess is as good as mine . a set of good quality feeler gauges would be a fraction of the price of a check in a garage you would need a torque wrench too I would imagine still its never been easer with the internet . good luck with it :thumbright:

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Hi, as I recall, the cct's were modified after the early vtr & Varas, presumably to address failure later in life, having said that, I'm sure there is not a clearly defined life of the cct's.
As for the valve clearances, many bikes will happily and safely go way beyond the manufacturers specified clearance without issue.
Having owned a Vara, I can say that actually checking the clearances is a doddle - even with moderate diyer skills. Obviously adjustment is more involved.

Phil

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
I am having my valves done next week (£200inc vat, not inc parts, gaskets and shims if required) as there's a top end rattle finally developing and it doesn't sound like a CCT which went packed up on my old vara.
my old girl is on 48k and has never had the engine opened, not even spark plugs since I bought her with 6k on the clock some years ago. all I do is keep on top of the fluid change intervals and keep the oily bits oily, and the clean bits clean.
im only getting a pro to do the job because being car-less I cant afford the time to have her off the road to wait a few days for any shims to arrive. I cant imagine its a particularly hard job, as with most things on the varadero getting to it takes most of the time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts