Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at possible replacements for my Alp, and I have to consider the Vara 1000. Just wondering though, I think the motor is similar to that fitted into the VTR1000 which were known to self distruct when the CCT's failed, have Honda over come this for the motor in the Vara 1000?

Cheers

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts
hello............i wouldn`t say the vara`s motor is anymore likely to explode than any of the Honda range. looked after properly, most, if not all, are bullet-proof. wouldn`t get all worked up over the cct as there are far more components in there (as with any engine ) more likely to fail. put it out of ya mind, get out and buy one and join our growing family of happy owners !!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I think that just after the release of the first Varas there was a precautionary recall issue, with the cam chain tensioner being the cause for concern. I bought mine at 2 years old and enquired about a recall, but was told that there was no longer a problem. Seems that they were right. My 1999 Vara has 115000 miles on the clock and is still going strong.
Bluestonenose. Ifyou would like to try mine we could maybe meet up. I'm in Gunnislake.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Looking at possible replacements for my Alp, and I have to consider the Vara 1000. Just wondering though, I think the motor is similar to that fitted into the VTR1000 which were known to self distruct when the CCT's failed, have Honda over come this for the motor in the Vara 1000?

Cheers
Don't know where that came from the front cam chain tension failed on my Firestorm, and on my Varadero i rode the Varadero for over 12mths before getting it repaired and have never heard of the motors self destructing. Normally they just rattle a bit when the spring goes tits up and it's not an everyday occurance so don't panic about it and ignore the rumour mill and it is the same engine on both just with different gearbox ratio's and a few minor tweaks. The front cct fail more frequently because of there positioning they don't get as much lubrication as the rear cct

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jackdaw, I may take you up on a sit on to see how it fit's, I'm going through Gunnislake on a semi regular basis as I have a few mates that live near by.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Jackdaw, I may take you up on a sit on to see how it fit's, I'm going through Gunnislake on a semi regular basis as I have a few mates that live near by.
I'm around til Thur am then from Mon-Fri. Tried to PM you but couldn't, possibly because you're not subscribed.
try:
bealswoodbankattalktalkdotnet
cheers
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts