Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HIya

I have found that there is a tight area on my chain on my 99 Varadero. I am not sure how old it is as I bought the bike in December and never asked.

Need some advice on this.
Is it possible to 'remove' the tight area? Is it worth trying if so.

I also noted that the chain has a split link in it.... now I remember from my Raleigh Chopper days (ooh so many years ago) I would have thought that this is the weakest area and as there are a few more ponies in the Dero than even in my young legs, is it advisable to have this type of chain on a 1000cc?

WHat sort of chain would be best? - Could always take the more expensive must be better approach but wondered if there was a heavy duty chain or any advice ?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
HIya

I have found that there is a tight area on my chain on my 99 Varadero. I am not sure how old it is as I bought the bike in December and never asked.

Need some advice on this.
Is it possible to 'remove' the tight area? Is it worth trying if so.

I also noted that the chain has a split link in it.... now I remember from my Raleigh Chopper days (ooh so many years ago) I would have thought that this is the weakest area and as there are a few more ponies in the Dero than even in my young legs, is it advisable to have this type of chain on a 1000cc?

WHat sort of chain would be best? - Could always take the more expensive must be better approach but wondered if there was a heavy duty chain or any advice ?
You could try working out the tight spot but assuming it's well lubed you will be lucky if you achieve any results. Split links aren't recommended much above 60HP and the vara has a bit on that. For my money I would change the chain and sprockets. David Silver do a pucca Honda C&S set for around £100 complete and that's where my money would go.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Agree with Boris there, a new C & S kit from David Silvers seems to be the way forward.
I ran split links on my Africa Twins but prefer to use a soft rivet link on the Vara. The split link isn't a soft point, it's just as strong as a riveted link really but if the spring comes off it could fail which would be bad!
The tight spot might work loose, plenty of lube on the whole chain and give it a run, should work out ok. You could buy a rivet link and get that fitted if it's worth keeping on? Turn the wheel until the chains at its slackest, can you lift the chain off the back sprocket teeth? If you can it would be best to replace.
Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts