Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought an 09 varadero 1000 with 7000 miles on it. really pleased with it as i like the commanding riding position, its comfortable solo or 2 up, and handles well on bumpy rural roads. Far more comfy and easy to ride than my previous 1250 bandit GT. However on several occasions when slowing down , third gear, little brake, off the throttle there has been a LOUD clack , clack, clack,clack which has persisted for more than a few seconds before gradually fading away- it is still evident with clutch in. handling seems unaffected and bike carries on OK. It only occurs intermittently but is startlingly loud ( first time it occurred i started looking for farm vehicles in the fields before realising it was the bike!) The first time I took it into the dealers they thought it might be the chain before deciding it was the centrestand hitting the exhaust but its not. My wife says it sounds like a roofrack luggage strap flapping while I think its more like a coin trapped in a washing machine!
Any ideas?
thanks!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
First thought would be chain, since it continues with no drive. Check chain tension and look for a stiff link. Loose bolt on crash bars/pannier rack - some loose bits only vibrate at certain revs.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Process of elimination, as Jackdaw type's start the chain 35 - 45 mm play, front & rear sprocket what is the wear like? can you pull the chain off the rear sprocket? if you can it points at the chain.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Any other symptoms , any juddering or vibration and where does the sound sound like it is emanating from , front, back or engine

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I have recently bought an 09 varadero 1000 with 7000 miles on it. really pleased with it as i like the commanding riding position, its comfortable solo or 2 up, and handles well on bumpy rural roads. Far more comfy and easy to ride than my previous 1250 bandit GT. However on several occasions when slowing down , third gear, little brake, off the throttle there has been a LOUD clack , clack, clack,clack which has persisted for more than a few seconds before gradually fading away- it is still evident with clutch in. handling seems unaffected and bike carries on OK. It only occurs intermittently but is startlingly loud ( first time it occurred i started looking for farm vehicles in the fields before realising it was the bike!) The first time I took it into the dealers they thought it might be the chain before deciding it was the centrestand hitting the exhaust but its not. My wife says it sounds like a roofrack luggage strap flapping while I think its more like a coin trapped in a washing machine!
Any ideas?
thanks!
I would suggest a chain tension issue aswell but i did have a rattle on mine which sounded different at certaim RPM when the front cam chain tensioner packed up

·
Registered
71 Posts
It could be the rear brake? I had something similar with my old CB1000FS when I fitted some cheap pads. I cured it by cleaning up the caliper and replacing the pads with genuine Honda pads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The chain, tension and sprockets are Ok -so thats not the problem! The dealer did mention cam tensioner but said he would expect a continual noise. Bike goes into them next Friday so well see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The chain, tension and sprockets are Ok -so thats not the problem! The dealer did mention cam tensioner but said he would expect a continual noise. Unlikely to be a turkey- more like a duck!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
The chain, tension and sprockets are Ok -so thats not the problem! The dealer did mention cam tensioner but said he would expect a continual noise. Unlikely to be a turkey- more like a duck!
I used to notice mine more at tickover than when on the move purely because there is less wind noise and exhaust noise etc but it was always there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just my two pence worth, but could it be your exhaust heat shields rattling? Happened to me, really unnerving until I sussex it, and the same symptoms as yours. Just a thought!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, or am I sorry?
My 2000 Varadero has developed this sort of noise and I think it's the cam chain tensioner. Can anyone please point me to a how to for this?
It only seems to rattle when decelerating and mainly at low RPM.
Thanks in advance

Nick

·
Registered
810 Posts
The auto CCT failure is all or nothing - Either it works or the CCT generally fails with catastrophic results. Basically the spring in the tensioner breaks due to stress/corrosion, usually the front one due to its position away from oil, allowing the tensioner to slacken and the timing chain to skip. Still a wise move to install manual tensioners for maximum reliability.

www.vtr1000.org • View topic - Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

www.vtr1000.org • View topic - Kreiger, APE, Bazza and Ade Whitmarsh's CCT's

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had both the cam chain tensioners out today and they both seem to hold good tension. Turn the screw inside and it retracts ok, then let go and gives lots of tension.
I will put the tank and hoses back on and go for a ride, see what happens.
Nick

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a 'clicking' sort of noise from my Vara for ages, just couldn't fathom where it was coming from, otherwise the bike was running well. Turned out to be a stiff link in the drive chain, when it passed over the front sprocket it made the 'click'. Obviously only when the bike was moving!

New chain and sprocket set fixed it. Dunno if this is any help to you...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I had a 'clicking' sort of noise from my Vara for ages, just couldn't fathom where it was coming from, otherwise the bike was running well. Turned out to be a stiff link in the drive chain, when it passed over the front sprocket it made the 'click'. Obviously only when the bike was moving!

New chain and sprocket set fixed it. Dunno if this is any help to you...
Do try to keep up Saitek. I suggested this four years ago:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

·
Registered
10 Posts
My clacking noise changes with engine RPM not speed, so I don't think it's the drive chain/sprockets and when decelerating and accelerating too. It goes noisy about 3000RPM and stops just above idle. It's not the drive chain/sprokets.

Nick

1 - 19 of 19 Posts