Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after a few years of riding and blowing up various XRs and CRMs, I recently persuaded myself to buy a new CRF450X. Only trouble with this was that I can't take anyone on the back. So, naturally I began a search for a supplementary bike today and have come across this Varadero reasonably near to me.

It does seem a bit pricey, compared to this which is a year newer with fewer miles, and this which is '10 with even less miles but similar price.

I think the general consensus of Varaderos is that they're good bikes, so I don't really know where I can go wrong.

I was just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of before I go and see this bike and fork out a load of (borrowed) cash on it - is there anything I should look out for?

I'm 6'1, 18 stone.. have ridden a 125 varadero and found it quite low down but hoping these are a bit higher with more leg room?

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
The Vara 125 is about as big as they come for tall riders, but the Vara 1000 is pretty roomy all round. I like the leg room witha 32 IL measurement as I am not bending a dodgy knee anymore ;)

The 1000 seem bullet proof... Nothing seems to be a problem on newer models as they no longer have the fuel pump issue. Change the oil and ride it seem to be the consensus, albeit not the most excitin bikes about they will make very "good progress" when required and carry tons of weight until the rear shock goe!. Dunno about newer models on the rear shock issue...

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
The rear shocks seem to fail with age & miles (they need a crud catcher in front of the back wheel...)
Apart from that exhaust seals seem to fail/blow regularly.

Take into account you are comparing abs & non abs bikes above .....

Maybe above your budget, Hunts (Manchester) have some brand new zero mile abs Vara's for a shade under 7800 otr - gotta be a bargain with many new bikes well over 10k

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please excuse my ignorance but how do I know which bike has ABS and which doesn't?

I think I must have wrongly assumed that all 'varadero xl1000v's of the same year were the same bike? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I think a new bike would be out of my price range considering ill be paying stupid money for insurance due to a couple of sp30s I acquired last year.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance but how do I know which bike has ABS and which doesn't?

I think I must have wrongly assumed that all 'varadero xl1000v's of the same year were the same bike? :rolleyes:
ABS equipped bikes will (re should) have an 'A' in it's title preceding the model year eg xl1000va9, non abs bikes won't have the 'a'.

A close up of the front disc will reveal the abs pickup (only on one side so learn which side it should be on), not sure, I but think it's the rhs.
Some manufacturers have an abs pickup ring on the back for abs only models, others have one whether abs is fitted or not as it's used for the speedo pickup, not sure which Honda uses.

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts