Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any idea what my Blue VA5 varadero 1000 would be worth. I've had it since new and it's a November 05 bike (55 reg) with 18000 miles on the clock. Dealer serviced till 2 years old then I took over and did them properly (with extra oil and filter changes mid service intervals). Will have 12 months MOT and Tax by the end of this month.

It's been kept garaged and condition is excellent with little if any winter use as I only use it for pleasure. No rust and paint is all excellent. Never been dropped or crashed.

It's an ABS bike with full 3 box Honda colour coded luggage, Givi crash bars, Oxford heated grips, power socket, centre stand and fenda extender to keep the muck off the engine.

New they are now £8471 (ABS) plus £800 for Honda luggage.

So... What's it worth?

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
I doubt you will get much more than 3k, so I'll give 3.2k just to take it off your hands, allowing the purchase of the GS :thumbup::D I'll pop up tomorrow with the cash :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to get out more:thumbup::D
Yes I know. Since I started working in the soft south 5 years ago I no longer commute by bike. So all the miles have been distance (and fun) miles.

I doubt you will get much more than 3k, so I'll give 3.2k just to take it off your hands, allowing the purchase of the GS :thumbup::D I'll pop up tomorrow with the cash :confused:
I suspect that was a tongue in cheek offer as I think 3.2K is way to low. A look on autotrader gives a range of 4.1K to 5K for 05 and 55 bikes. the ones with the luggage and other extras are at the higher end.

Infact there is an almost Identical one (minus the mainstand, engine bars and other extras) in Bristol for £4899 HONDA XL VARADERO 1000cc

It's a cracking bike in beautiful condition but I've had it longer than any other bike I've owned so It's probably time to move on to something different.

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
I suspect that was a tongue in cheek offer as I think 3.2K is way to low. A look on autotrader gives a range of 4.1K to 5K for 05 and 55 bikes. the ones with the luggage and other extras are at the higher end.
A cheeky joke bid :joker:, but thats about my budget :(, and yes 4-5k is deffo nearer its value. Nice bike I have seen it on TLD 2009, don't think you will have trouble selling it, good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
My initial thoughts were around £3500 - just a pure guess, then I remembered this;
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bikes-sale-wanted/43521-2007-varadero-xl1000.html

Didn't Austin buy Stans old Vara for about 5k and less than a year old?

There are lots of used bikes around where owners/dealers are asking silly money - If you want/need to sell, be realistic & good luck if you decide to move on :thumbright:

Phil

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
My initial thoughts were around £3500 - just a pure guess, then I remembered this;
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bikes-sale-wanted/43521-2007-varadero-xl1000.html

Didn't Austin buy Stans old Vara for about 5k and less than a year old?

There are lots of used bikes around where owners/dealers are asking silly money - If you want/need to sell, be realistic & good luck if you decide to move on :thumbright:

Phil
yup, I bought a 6 month old Vara for £5k :p. Too much of a bargain to miss. I fell out of love with her about 9months later and put her up for sale again with all the extras fitted for just under £5K and didn't get serious sniff other than some cheeky offers at about £4K. I have since fallen back in love with her and its not for sale.

I don't think the current new price of a Vara has anything to do with the value of a 4 to 5 year old bike. What was its cost new in 2005? Half it is probably as a good a guide as anything. Why not take all the extras and saleable add-ons off it and part-ex it - I assume you are after a GSA probably from a dealer. There's going to be enough cash difference to negotiate both ends - ie ticket price of the BM and your part ex - its the price differential that's important, not the absolute values of each. You would expect to get a bonus £300 to £500 for the extras that the dealer would value at near enough nil.

The other way to look at this is that the Vara has now had the worst of its depreciation and its value will fall at a much lower rate from now and probably bottom out at around £1500 to £2K. Keep it and carry on riding the best kept secret in motorcycling. If you have fallen out love with it spend some money on it - get a new (loud) exhaust, a power commander, a fancy rear shocker and fork springs, a paint job even, put TKCs on it upgrade the seat and get a load of Touratech bling. You will have a well 'ard bike that's the envy of us all and you will soon fall back in love with.

Whatever, good luck.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wise words everyone. I did see the Vara for sale here at silly money but anyone can sell £10 notes for £5 and that was just a silly price. Someone needed cash fast and that looked pretty desperate to me and set bells ringing.

New price does have a bearing on old prices as bikes are always valued based on the differential between new and second hand. Think of all those poor sods that lost when Honda lopped £1K of their list prices a few years back. Their second hand bikes bore that extra £1k depreciation right away (even a day old bike) through no fault of their own. Consequently the opposite holds true. If bike prices were to double then the second hand market's prices will follow suit and the whole thing has little to do with the initial purchase price.

But as Austin points out it's the difference between new and old that's important rather than the actual numbers. It also seems condition is more important than years so don't necessarily base value just on age alone.

I hadn't really thought about trading in as cutting out the middle man we all get a better deal but I may just see what a BMW dealer would offer px on a 9K bike.

I had a minimum of 4K in mind but I must admit seeing what's on offer in autotrader I think I might be underselling it.

I haven't actually got a replacement in mind I just need to understand my budget but as Austin says it's still a great bike that I would happily keep for years to come. I just fancy a change.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just had the Varadero MOTd today and Two Wheels (Honda dealer) took a look at the bike and offered me 4.5K against a new Varadero which is a bit better then the BMW dealer reckoned. Sight unseen BMW reckoned it was worth 4K.

Two Wheels did say they wouldn't even have to prep it and could wheel it straight on to the showroom floor :thumbup:

btw It flew through the MOT with no advisories. :D

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Only got my Va5 in November and cost me &4500 from a BMW shoppe it had done only 1400 mls and is in pretty good con and had all the luggage with it too and I got full BMW guarantee with it too.
Bikes are cheaper the further north you go I noticed

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Been to see a Red White and Blue 07 with around 10k on the clock , full luggage
£5k in Manchester

HONDA XL VARADERO XL1000 V-6 1000cc
Based on what I heard today the price looks about right for a non ABS machine as, rightly or wrongly, they are less desirable. You should also note that bike is an 06 machine on a 07 plate so when you come to sell the price might suffer a little.

Looks like a nice bike though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts