Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then, I've done heaps of mods to my 2000 Varadero over the years & tbh I fell out of love with it about 18 months ago.

I still really like the bike & would never sell it, but I just ran out of ideas with the too soft rear end.

I tried lots of things, first was jackup plates with the standard shock. Then I bought a huge heavy Hagon (200kg on the shock body) unit which was great for my weight & riding style. That lasted about two years then lost it's oil.

Then I bought another lighter sprung Hagon unit which failed/leaked after a few months.. Then I bought a Technoflex unit with a remote reservoir but the spring was too soft but I lived with it until today.

Over the past month I've been looking into what options I had left & I came up with two. The first was to purchase a heavy duty (similar to the heavy Hagon spring) 2.25" x 9" x 500lbs spring & fit it onto the std Vara shock. Which is what I did today.

Once fitted I rolled it off the centre stand & down it went. Like a dog with worms :eek: about 5" of static sag just on it's own, never mind with me on it.

Disappointed doesn't come close, so off I go to the shed & come out with plan B.

A Firestorm unit, all £25 worth. The measurements are close, the mounting holes are the same diameter & the lower shock mount width is identical too.

The top mount width is narrower & requires a washer or washers superglued to either side of the shock hole to increase the width to prevent the frame mounting point from distorting/being squeezed when tightening. I did measure it but I've forgotten.. 1 or 2mm'ish sorry

The Vtr shock is longer around 10/15mm I think, I forgot to measure that also, as I was still in a foaming fit of rage. It fitted nicely with the jackup plates & had no interfearence issues at all.

Once every thing was tightened up, I rolled it off the center stand & Bingo, it works a charm.

About 1 1/2" of static sag when on half prelode & another 2" sag when & sit on it (20 stone :rolleyes:) so I increased to max preload which gives about 1" static sag & another 1" maybe 1 1/2" or so with me on it.

I'm 6'2" & now I'm on tip toes when sitting on it.

I have not ridden it on the road yet as it's still on sorn, but I have been bouncing around in the garden like a fool & it feels great.

I really am happy with this no risk mod, for £30 you can get a shock off ebay & see for your self :thumbleft:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just in case I didn't make myself clear on the suspension sag side of things.

The suspension now behaves exactly the same as my Standard Cbr600fy. From when you remove it from the center stand & it plops to the floor as it supports it's own weight, to sitting on it. Really impressive & the rebound works a treat. As in you can notice a change when it's turned from S to H. Quick rebound to slow.

Also I forgot to mention, it's now a doddle to lift onto the center stand.

Remember, I do have riser plates fitted so it will sit lower if you are keeping the standard plates

Honestly this is a huge find, I am so made up. I was even dreaming about it last night :thumbright:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Right then, I've done heaps of mods to my 2000 Varadero over the years & tbh I fell out of love with it about 18 months ago.

I still really like the bike & would never sell it, but I just ran out of ideas with the too soft rear end.

I tried lots of things, first was jackup plates with the standard shock. Then I bought a huge heavy Hagon (200kg on the shock body) unit which was great for my weight & riding style. That lasted about two years then lost it's oil.

Then I bought another lighter sprung Hagon unit which failed/leaked after a few months.. Then I bought a Technoflex unit with a remote reservoir but the spring was too soft but I lived with it until today.

Over the past month I've been looking into what options I had left & I came up with two. The first was to purchase a heavy duty (similar to the heavy Hagon spring) 2.25" x 9" x 500lbs spring & fit it onto the std Vara shock. Which is what I did today.

Once fitted I rolled it off the centre stand & down it went. Like a dog with worms :eek: about 5" of static sag just on it's own, never mind with me on it.

Disappointed doesn't come close, so off I go to the shed & come out with plan B.

A Firestorm unit, all £25 worth. The measurements are close, the mounting holes are the same diameter & the lower shock mount width is identical too.

The top mount width is narrower & requires a washer or washers superglued to either side of the shock hole to increase the width to prevent the frame mounting point from distorting/being squeezed when tightening. I did measure it but I've forgotten.. 1 or 2mm'ish sorry

The Vtr shock is longer around 10/15mm I think, I forgot to measure that also, as I was still in a foaming fit of rage. It fitted nicely with the jackup plates & had no interfearence issues at all.

Once every thing was tightened up, I rolled it off the center stand & Bingo, it works a charm.

About 1 1/2" of static sag when on half prelode & another 2" sag when & sit on it (20 stone :rolleyes:) so I increased to max preload which gives about 1" static sag & another 1" maybe 1 1/2" or so with me on it.

I'm 6'2" & now I'm on tip toes when sitting on it.

I have not ridden it on the road yet as it's still on sorn, but I have been bouncing around in the garden like a fool & it feels great.

I really am happy with this no risk mod, for £30 you can get a shock off ebay & see for your self :thumbleft:
Hi. Very impressed with what you done with the rear shocker and really thinking of doing the same . Can you tell me what year the firestorm spring was ? I have an 05 dero, abs . Would any shock from any firestorm fit . Would be handy to know . Appreciate any good advise from you
Alan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, great write up on the stiffer shock Firedero. Just wondering where you got your 'lift' plates from ? I can only find lowering ones and as im 6'5", I want to lift the bike a little, like you.
Only just joined , you've not been on here for a few months, so here's hoping you look in, or if anyone else knows the answer, that would be great. Cheers Rob.
P.S, not even picked the bike up yet , getting it around the11th Oct '20, 🤣

·
Registered
826 Posts
Just use slotted washers (or buy ready made) as a spacer between the top of the shock & the subframe to raise the rear of the bike. Careful how you go as it'll effect in turn the steering geometry. Plus you'll likely need a longer side stand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Wicky, I spent hours looking for the triangular lower mounts with lift. Do you think 4 mm would be better than 6 mm ? I don't want to mess up the steering. Maybe I could get leg reduction surgery 😁

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Wicky, I spent hours looking for the triangular lower mounts with lift. Do you think 4 mm would be better than 6 mm ? I don't want to mess up the steering. Maybe I could get leg reduction surgery 😁
Hi, the slotted washer will not work to lift the rear on the Varadero. The Vara top shock mount is a fixed welded mounting. You're correct in thinking you'll need "Jack-up" tri plates to raise the rear, but you might not need them with the Vtr shock fitted. It's a longer shock with a stronger spring. Ignore what the Haynes manuals states.

I'll look & see if I can find the jack-up tri plate measurements so you can knock some up. Don't hold your breath though.

Have you tried running with just the Vtr shock? It might be enough of a height gain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, the slotted washer will not work to lift the rear on the Varadero. The Vara top shock mount is a fixed welded mounting. You're correct in thinking you'll need "Jack-up" tri plates to raise the rear, but you might not need them with the Vtr shock fitted. It's a longer shock with a stronger spring. Ignore what the Haynes manuals states.

I'll look & see if I can find the jack-up tri plate measurements so you can knock some up. Don't hold your breath though.

Have you tried running with just the Vtr shock? It might be enough of a height gain.

Sound advice

Sound advice, thanks so much !

I've not ridden the beast much since buying it, what with rain, ice, salty roads and the dam Covid virus.
Got crash bars, DLR lights and my TomTom wired in now so I'm looking forward to some long rides.

Cheers, Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts