Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then, I've done heaps of mods to my 2000 Varadero over the years & tbh I fell out of love with it about 18 months ago.

I still really like the bike & would never sell it, but I just ran out of ideas with the too soft rear end.

I tried lots of things, first was jackup plates with the standard shock. Then I bought a huge heavy Hagon (200kg on the shock body) unit which was great for my weight & riding style. That lasted about two years then lost it's oil.

Then I bought another lighter sprung Hagon unit which failed/leaked after a few months.. Then I bought a Technoflex unit with a remote reservoir but the spring was too soft but I lived with it until today.

Over the past month I've been looking into what options I had left & I came up with two. The first was to purchase a heavy duty (similar to the heavy Hagon spring) 2.25" x 9" x 500lbs spring & fit it onto the std Vara shock. Which is what I did today.

Once fitted I rolled it off the centre stand & down it went. Like a dog with worms :eek: about 5" of static sag just on it's own, never mind with me on it.

Disappointed doesn't come close, so off I go to the shed & come out with plan B.

A Firestorm unit, all £25 worth. The measurements are close, the mounting holes are the same diameter & the lower shock mount width is identical too.

The top mount width is narrower & requires a washer or washers superglued to either side of the shock hole to increase the width to prevent the frame mounting point from distorting/being squeezed when tightening. I did measure it but I've forgotten.. 1 or 2mm'ish sorry

The Vtr shock is longer around 10/15mm I think, I forgot to measure that also, as I was still in a foaming fit of rage. It fitted nicely with the jackup plates & had no interfearence issues at all.

Once every thing was tightened up, I rolled it off the center stand & Bingo, it works a charm.

About 1 1/2" of static sag when on half prelode & another 2" sag when & sit on it (20 stone :rolleyes:) so I increased to max preload which gives about 1" static sag & another 1" maybe 1 1/2" or so with me on it.

I'm 6'2" & now I'm on tip toes when sitting on it.

I have not ridden it on the road yet as it's still on sorn, but I have been bouncing around in the garden like a fool & it feels great.

I really am happy with this no risk mod, for £30 you can get a shock off ebay & see for your self :thumbleft:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just in case I didn't make myself clear on the suspension sag side of things.

The suspension now behaves exactly the same as my Standard Cbr600fy. From when you remove it from the center stand & it plops to the floor as it supports it's own weight, to sitting on it. Really impressive & the rebound works a treat. As in you can notice a change when it's turned from S to H. Quick rebound to slow.

Also I forgot to mention, it's now a doddle to lift onto the center stand.

Remember, I do have riser plates fitted so it will sit lower if you are keeping the standard plates

Honestly this is a huge find, I am so made up. I was even dreaming about it last night :thumbright:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Right then, I've done heaps of mods to my 2000 Varadero over the years & tbh I fell out of love with it about 18 months ago.

I still really like the bike & would never sell it, but I just ran out of ideas with the too soft rear end.

I tried lots of things, first was jackup plates with the standard shock. Then I bought a huge heavy Hagon (200kg on the shock body) unit which was great for my weight & riding style. That lasted about two years then lost it's oil.

Then I bought another lighter sprung Hagon unit which failed/leaked after a few months.. Then I bought a Technoflex unit with a remote reservoir but the spring was too soft but I lived with it until today.

Over the past month I've been looking into what options I had left & I came up with two. The first was to purchase a heavy duty (similar to the heavy Hagon spring) 2.25" x 9" x 500lbs spring & fit it onto the std Vara shock. Which is what I did today.

Once fitted I rolled it off the centre stand & down it went. Like a dog with worms :eek: about 5" of static sag just on it's own, never mind with me on it.

Disappointed doesn't come close, so off I go to the shed & come out with plan B.

A Firestorm unit, all £25 worth. The measurements are close, the mounting holes are the same diameter & the lower shock mount width is identical too.

The top mount width is narrower & requires a washer or washers superglued to either side of the shock hole to increase the width to prevent the frame mounting point from distorting/being squeezed when tightening. I did measure it but I've forgotten.. 1 or 2mm'ish sorry

The Vtr shock is longer around 10/15mm I think, I forgot to measure that also, as I was still in a foaming fit of rage. It fitted nicely with the jackup plates & had no interfearence issues at all.

Once every thing was tightened up, I rolled it off the center stand & Bingo, it works a charm.

About 1 1/2" of static sag when on half prelode & another 2" sag when & sit on it (20 stone :rolleyes:) so I increased to max preload which gives about 1" static sag & another 1" maybe 1 1/2" or so with me on it.

I'm 6'2" & now I'm on tip toes when sitting on it.

I have not ridden it on the road yet as it's still on sorn, but I have been bouncing around in the garden like a fool & it feels great.

I really am happy with this no risk mod, for £30 you can get a shock off ebay & see for your self :thumbleft:
Hi. Very impressed with what you done with the rear shocker and really thinking of doing the same . Can you tell me what year the firestorm spring was ? I have an 05 dero, abs . Would any shock from any firestorm fit . Would be handy to know . Appreciate any good advise from you
Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, great write up on the stiffer shock Firedero. Just wondering where you got your 'lift' plates from ? I can only find lowering ones and as im 6'5", I want to lift the bike a little, like you.
Only just joined , you've not been on here for a few months, so here's hoping you look in, or if anyone else knows the answer, that would be great. Cheers Rob.
P.S, not even picked the bike up yet , getting it around the11th Oct '20, 🤣

·
Registered
785 Posts
Just use slotted washers (or buy ready made) as a spacer between the top of the shock & the subframe to raise the rear of the bike. Careful how you go as it'll effect in turn the steering geometry. Plus you'll likely need a longer side stand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Wicky, I spent hours looking for the triangular lower mounts with lift. Do you think 4 mm would be better than 6 mm ? I don't want to mess up the steering. Maybe I could get leg reduction surgery 😁

1 - 9 of 9 Posts