Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
The Varadero's a big heavy beast, on hard tracks it manages fine, front suspension grounds easily on mine if the going's rough and if it's a bit soft it will squirm about at the front without decent tyres. TKC's are good offroad on it but on tar just over 2k miles is the distance and they're ready for a change!
Hard tracks, yes, soft mud, well,,,, chances are it'll dig quicker than a JCB!
Seen one on the Stella with it's sump panned in so beware rocky terrian!
I've had to pick mine up twice myself, manage but damn it's heavy! The linked ABS were never a problem for me and I've covered quite a few miles on tracks!
Best of luck mate!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The Varadero's a big heavy beast, on hard tracks it manages fine, front suspension grounds easily on mine if the going's rough and if it's a bit soft it will squirm about at the front without decent tyres. TKC's are good offroad on it but on tar just over 2k miles is the distance and they're ready for a change!
Hard tracks, yes, soft mud, well,,,, chances are it'll dig quicker than a JCB!
Seen one on the Stella with it's sump panned in so beware rocky terrian!
I've had to pick mine up twice myself, manage but damn it's heavy! The linked ABS were never a problem for me and I've covered quite a few miles on tracks!
Best of luck mate!
+1 Mine copes with hard DRY tracks no probs with Tourances. But when wet or greasy, or where there are deep wheel ruts forget it. Lacking a bodybuilder's physique I can't lift mine:teeth:

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
I'm seriously considering one for work...
Im assuming you mean you "Ride Any Roads" work!!!! Are you mad man:D Will put the students to shame though, I expect this is the aim. Able to Ride any Road on any (almost) bike.

AckAckFlack has a nice orange one that may be up for sale. May be worth a PM?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
AJ and JD have it right. Fine on gravel or macadam, okay on dry ground, but once the front wheel touches wet mud it seems to develop a mind of its own. Or maybe that's just my atrophied off-road skills! I'd also point out that second gear is rather high. On-road it's just a mild irritation, but off-road it means I seldom get out of first gear.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Youve got to remember this is Mudwiz asking. He could probably ride a Goldwing off road:thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I wouldn't even dream of it the Varadero isn't an offroad bike its a tourer. I have considered buying another one and putting thicker forks and bigger brakes on it and a pair of suck through Turbo's as we've got an RAF BAse about 3 miles from which does "Run what ya Brung" a couple times a year

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I have taken mine to Galloway forest twice where its fine on the hard packed tracks as well as a few other hard surfaced tyracks. As DW says its not geared for low speeeds although at 30+ on a hard track the bike begins to make sense again. Stanbloke owned my bike before me and I know he took it on one of his Welsh trails rideouts when it was almost new - 2007. There's a good ride report somewhere with pics of my bike (now AckAckflack's) with TKC80s on and axle deep in mud and ruts. I think the report is on ADV or ABR not here. Stan is the only person I know of for sure has who done some proper muddy off roading on a Vara.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
If anyone can take a varadero offroad it's Mr Mudwiz
I have an R Reg one you can buy :) just needs the anakee2 off and your sorted- already has barkbusters

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Here's a great series of videos, though the terrain is unlike Britain's fair green lanes.

Photographic evidence from UK - all gravel or hard ground:

But this one is definitely muddy! My bike was about 7 months old, wore Michelin DeathWings and had no crash bars.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Chris I would say yes, gett some fork extenders, AT bash plate, nobblies, change the two tonne exhaust system for an aftermarket one, front bash bars. Been thinking of this for a while.J :D

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,037 Posts
I was looking at mine (in my opinion it's way too heavy for mud work) and I'd be worried about the front sprocket cover as it stands. It has part of the clutch actuating arm so can't be removed entirely. Might be able to drill it to make a few clearinmg holes, but I always found bikes work better with no cover at all in essex clag.

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chris I would say yes, gett some fork extenders, AT bash plate, nobblies, change the two tonne exhaust system for an aftermarket one, front bash bars. Been thinking of this for a while.J :D
Thanks J, although given the size of the thing fork extenders may have to wait until I've gotten used to it!

Searching spare wheels, to run knobblies, and trying to find excessive knobblies to fit! Not sure I have the tech skills to fit an @ bashplate, but AfricaQueens do a good looking little number. It will need pannier rails to protect the large wrap-round plastic near the back, and the scottoiler probably needs the main suppy hose extending for when the swing arm is at full extension. A 14t front sprocket is widely available, but I do need another front sprocket cover/clutch arm thingy to cut down/drill out. Front crash bars need the spotlights moving, as they will push in and knack the rads on the first big fall... Also needs a smaller screen, my face/neck feels threatened by the height and sharpness of the current one!

Should be exciting on the UK Rally circuit, I sense a steep learning curve about to occur!

I've asked some questions in the Vara section, any advise gratefully received. :blob:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Chris you have seen where I take Vader and the mighty GSA's. I use tourances.The Volvoderros are not much smaller.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
The screen looks standard. Hot gloves of this manor cut down his standard one and claimed it gave him much less buffeting

I think the rear wheel will be a problem to fit but check out my reply on your varadildo forum post.

Looking forward to seeing it in action.
As you are 10stone you might want to start at a gym - its like wrestling a croc.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
TKC80s and heidenaus come in varadero sizes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts