Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst greasing up the rear suspension bearings, I thought I’d have a go at knocking up a little Cr#p deflector for the rear shock absorber.
Using the little rubber flappy thing that hangs over the rear tank mounting mountings! as my starting point, I got a suitable bit of plastic sheet, 3 number plate bolts and a hole punch . . . .

This is where the flappy bit normally sits

And this is where it hangs down into the rear wheel arch

My gash bit of plastic bolted to the flappy bit – job jobbed!

Haven’t tried it out yet. Just finished fitting a Scottoiler to the bike and am now waiting to borrow some vacuum gauges so’s I can check the carb balance – then its re-build and road test.

Steve T

:cool:

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
heres one i made earlier, great minds think alike!

i hung mine from the rectifier bracket, and made it out of thicker rubber and stopped it at the top of the swingarm (i thought if i had it as long as yours, it could get caught in the tyre when the swingarm goes up)

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, after 60+ miles on cak covered roads I can report that my little piece of plastic does the trick :thumbright:.

Davesto, I did worry a little about the wheel dragging the sheet around, but I can report that there are no drag marks on the plastic thingymajigamabob. The wind doesn't seem to push it forward and when pushing the bike backwards there is no contact between the two items.

Jobs a good 'un :thumbup:

Steve T

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Well done that man :thumbup:

Gotta say it looked the part when I saw it, a proper crud buster :thumbright:

How was the venison ??? ;);)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
job done then :thumbup:

and i reckon they work just as good as a £80 hugger, certainly as good as the one i bought for my last bike.

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How was the venison ??? ;);)
She's done her best at creating a culinary masterpiece which will be sampled tomorrow - Thanks again the offering :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Davsato - your right, as effective as a hugger but at zero cost - everything was to hand in my tip of a garage :rolleyes: :D

Steve T

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
A great job, my TA has a similar idea/model but involved a chopped car floor mat (freebee) and 3 self tappers (took 10 mins to cut and fit, or was it 2 mins:thumbright:) yours does look a lot more profesional:toothy6:

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the same on my TA a couple of years ago Shack, with heavier rubber than I used on the Vara. It's helped keep the rear shock clear of most of the heavy crud - even this afternoon whilst inducing wheel spin on the TA down some tracks, it kept the grit & stones away from the shock. The wheel arch, on the other hand, is crammed with mud & stuff :D :thumbup:. What'll it be like when the TKC's are fitted this weekend :confused: :thumbup:

Steve T

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Road kill ?????:rolleyes:
Great roads, great scenery, free venison, you guy's have everything up there.:D:D:D
Road Kill ! ! !

No - Payment in kind.
In Lowflyers position as "H2O Purification - New Installation Overseer" on the little island that he luvs, there are always little "favours" being asked of a man with a JCB :rolleyes:! Somewhere in this vast XRV electronic exspanse of knowledge and general blurb you'll find Lowflyers story of how he was "gifted" some venison.
After he accidentally cut the power to his garage, where his freezer resides, only to find out about it several days later, when things had started to de-frost, he decided that he couldn't eat all of the contents in one sitting, so kindly asked if I could help by makeing use of some of the best bits from the beast that he'd had in cold storage :rolleyes:. Being the good Samaritan that I am, I of course accepted ;).
Venison marinated in red wine & spices, roasted, then served with red currant jelly, tatties, neeps & some green stuff = luverly grub. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts