1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So what is the Varadero 1000 like in comparison to the Varadero 1000? :D :D :D

Specifically the carb version against the FI model

Is there anyone here who's owned both?

I have the carb version and I'm interested in peoples experiences with the FI as i might upgrade

Cruising speed with the 6th gear, MPG, 'unrated suspension' etc etc

I'm not asking about reliability as i know how good they are :thumbup:

·
Registered
452 Posts
The FI sounds like a snowmobile, has some "whining" noise to it, like a superbike. Some aftermarket exhausts will probably make that less noticeable. I love the FI version,
think it is more sleek and prettier design and very responsive engine. I have a Carb TA from before. FI should be less hassle in the long run wrt. jets etc. on the carb.
What i do not like, is that there is less room and more plastic rivets etc. And i cannot understand why they removed the proper handlebars for the pillion passenger and replace them with plastic "spoilers".
Apart from that, very happy ... and they are reasonably priced too ...:toothy9:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
James, can't compare as I owned two and both FI but I went for a second Vara as I was really happy with the first one. Only problem I have experienced in both bikes is the issue of the HISS light not going off. Apparently only known fault on the bike. The fist I ended up having to replace the pulse generator, the second started developing the same fault from brand new, still not a major issue as it only happens occasionally but my guess is in the long run, the same part will have to be replaced.......

There are a couple of threads on the forum regarding the problem. can't understand why Honda never really rectified this with what is otherwise a 100K miles bullet proof bike....

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasn't aware of the HISS problem, what year is your bike?

My current Vara is pre HISS so no problems, but i have had HISS on a old Transalp 650 and it was fine

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
my first Dero was a 2007 (still in the forum with Sean, second one is new (purchased last year in April) and done about 8K so far, you may find some info here:

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/varadero/37781-fi-problem.html

and also on other Varadero forum, as far as I know it is the only known recurring problem. Hope you are well cheers.

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
452 Posts
Jamie, regarding space. Below the seat and behind the aft fairings. A little bit more for equipment to be fitted would be nice. Apart from that loads of space on the bike due to good length.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Why are you upgrading?

Gearbox wise, the old 5 or newer 6 gear versions final drive ratios are the same, 0.961-1 you really have more lower gears :thumbup:

MPG wise, if you take it to a half decent Dyno operator & get the air/fuel (Stoichiometric) ratio sorted, you should get both to do the same mpg. Once you do it you will never have to do it again:thumbup:

Suspension wise, no Std setup will be perfect, some people like to go fast, some plod along & some load them up to go around the world. Manufacturers are trying to make one setup fit everyone & you can't.

Which ever bike you get take it to Maxton or some other reputable suspension wizards & tell them what you want out of the bike. They will totally transform your bike of choice.:thumbup:

Looks wise, personally I think they are all ugly, even the newer versions :lol: But I love mine, especially from behind:love9:

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks wise, personally I think they are all ugly, even the newer versions :lol: But I love mine, especially from behind:love9:
+1 :thumbup:

I was considering the upgrade as mine is getting pretty worn out now, iv had it 7 years, kept it outside, dropped it, scuffed it, thrashed knackers off it, toured all over Europe and used it all year round in the UK

I can probably squeeze a little more life from it though :D :toothy10:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why are you upgrading?
MPG wise, if you take it to a half decent Dyno operator & get the air/fuel (Stoichiometric) ratio sorted, you should get both to do the same mpg. Once you do it you will never have to do it again:thumbup:
Hi Firedo,

Can you please explain what do you mean?
I'm newbie on the carb Varadero and not sure what is it?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi Firedo,

Can you please explain what do you mean?
I'm newbie on the carb Varadero and not sure what is it?
Hi Witcher, here is a good link,

Air-fuel_ratio

With carbureted Varadero's the best Air/Fuel ration to around 12.5:1 - 13.3:1.

With fuel injection you can run it leaner, around 14.7:1.

Fuel injection engines have various sensors on the engine to protect the engine from detonation (engine knock) due to very lean fuel mixtures.

On fuel injection engines, if detonation is picked up by a sensor the timing is automatically retarded & the engine is saved.

On lean carburetted engines if the rider does not feel or realise the engine is detonating the engine can melt pistons.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Older one has a smoother take up. FI had a slight hunt. Both fine at speed.Had an older one with standard pipe. Rode an FI a couple of times on a decent run.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Firedero, I'm pretty sure the fi Vara don't have a knock sensor.

Phil
Hi Phil,

I am not sure if it has one either, but the fuelling will be controlled by a sensor of some sorts.

It has to, otherwise the injection system wouldn't work.

It will more than likely be using the Lambda sensor & adjusting things from sampling the exhaust gasses.

Don't take my word for it though, because I run a carbed model :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Hi Phil,

I am not sure if it has one either, but the fuelling will be controlled by a sensor of some sorts.

It has to, otherwise the injection system wouldn't work.

It will more than likely be using the Lambda sensor & adjusting things from sampling the exhaust gasses.

Don't take my word for it though, because I run a carbed model :thumbup:
Had a look in the Haynes & theres no knock sensor that I can see.
Theoretically, a basic fi could work from the same sensors as a carb engine, and just using a pre programmed map, lambda sensors generally (but not always....) control mixture at tickover, low rev & light load conditions, elsewhere in the rev range, fuelling runs from a fuel map that is tweaked from the base map by using input from various sensors.

I have no idea why bigger vehicles have maf whereas bikes do not, maybe it's not feasible to fit them into a bikes intake?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts