Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my V5 from dvla the other day after registering my 1998 AT which came from Italy. Bought it from a guy who bought it in Italy and brought it back a few years ago. Anyway also got a vat demand from C&E they want £1476 vat on the vehicle they think has a value of £8830..I phoned them and they say this is because dvla filled in wrong vat form.. they want a reciept for the bike and they will look at it..I dont have a reciept I swapped it for a gsxr that was worth about a grand..I didnt think I would have to pay any vat..am I wrong..if so how much should I pay on a fe '98 AT which cost a grand (sounds cheap but its a bit corroded etc)...HELP I cant afford this... :(

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I had exactly the same problem when I brought in my own (!) Buell when we immgrated to the UK. I already told the chap at the DVLA office that this form did not apply but he insisted filling it in, resulting in a similar bill from customs and destress. In my case it was solved by showing the original dealer invoice, specifying an amount already paid on VAT. If there isn't any way to contact that previous owner to get a similar document I wonder if explaining the situation could not help you out? I mean, how likely would it be that no VAT was ever paid on an 8 years old motorcycle? :?
All the best, hope your bill gets dropped as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
if you can't get a receipt (note "a" not "the") you could try getting a quote from a bike shop of the approx value-you could ask the bike shop how much they would pay you for the bike (as it is likely to be the smallest amount)
Don't panic too much, people (even C&E) will bow to common sense in the [email protected]'s never sold for £8830 new!

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I had thought that when anything was bought in the EU, and the local tax paid, that that was the end of the tax story. If you buy something second hand in the UK you don't have to pay tax again, so why should that rule apply to something that originated elsewhere in the EU? In my opinion you should have nothing more to pay, whatever the value of the item.

But then I'm not a taxman, so what do I know....?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
iswoolley said:
I had thought that when anything was bought in the EU, and the local tax paid, that that was the end of the tax story. If you buy something second hand in the UK you don't have to pay tax again, so why should that rule apply to something that originated elsewhere in the EU? In my opinion you should have nothing more to pay, whatever the value of the item.
Yes that is strange. They might as well ask you to re-pay the whole price unless you can prove you didn't nick it :x . But it is exactly because of abuse and crime in the past that rules are this strict now. You never need to pay tax twice, but it all comes down to showing proof that your vehicle was bought and imported for "domestic use"; if you just can show a dealer's invoice (incl. VAT spec) it is all sorted without a single problem imho. But then you can ask yourself what the value of a piece of paper is, when almost every household will have a PC, scanner, colour-printer and sofware to forge one :roll:
(PS: That is NOT a recommendation! :oops: )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DVLA filled in wrong form..sent copy of Italian log book to vat man he is happy ..no money due..

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hey-hey, result :eek:
Well done!

All you need to do now is find an insurer who also believes your bike is worth £8830 and have it stolen :lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
john64 said:
DVLA filled in wrong form..sent copy of Italian log book to vat man he is happy ..no money due..
Great news John......they only cost that much+++ here in Norway :cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts