Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I wanna tell you a story" as Max Bygraves would say, (that gives my age away straight off!) I feel I am becoming Victor Meldew.

My blood pressure is now coming down to around 300/200, so any obervations, comments appreciated about the following:

I rang up Ad for Africa Twin on Biketrader at 11.00am, it is currently still on so have a look) , spent 15mins getting the low down on said machine, detailed directions for 2.5 hour & 150mile trip. Agreed I would be there mid - late afternoon with cash and van to collect machine and parts. exchanged landline and mob numbers.

At 3.00pm, van emptied, cash collected - I have 30minutes and 30miles along the way, the mob goes,"sorry mate chap turned up and have taken his deposit!!!."

Remonstrate as to returning the others deposit as I didn't even get the courtesy of a call -" have you left yet, are you still coming etc, to check my status".

The points being: outraged is not an adequate enough description as to having to endure this lowlife behaviour - think it through for a second - I could have just pulled up at his house as he took the other chaps cash - the images don't bear thinking about, but blue & twos spring to mind.

Additionally - purely speculative and no evidence -if the buyer was made aware by the seller that I said I would be coming, could some extra influence be exerted such as "I can be there in an hour, people never show up etc." - and if this was the case, he joins the plankton level in the foodchain along with the other.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing and can one take any precautions to prevent a similar re-occurance, should I have done anything different?

What would others have done in the same circumstances.

I have had lots of bike, vehicle purchases on the gentlemans agreement very happily and as an Falkland vet it grieves me to think that this is an acceptable way to conduct oneself - I thought Fleabay was the place to avoid.

The guilty as charged know who they are, they may even both belong to this forum!

Looking for a black Africa Twin, anything considered, please contact me.

Any comments - good, bad, or indifferent, all welcomed.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hello buddy its a shyster practice normally used by nobs who just want cash in there pocket. No thought for a fellow biker. the way it works on this fine forum works as every body has a little patience and decency. put it down to experience. (pay local children to point at him)

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Datsun Fan

This is a really awkward one, but I have been on both ends of the same problem before.

As a buyer, usually from eBay, I've either gone to look at bikes, or outright to buy with the cash and taken the train, only to find they are NOT how they've been described (CRAP in some cases) and on one occasion, had been sold just before I arrived. I had told the seller I was coming, and he could have called to tell me I suppose, but apparently he'd had an army of tyre kickers that day, and was just peeved by the whole thing.

As a seller, I've actually had MORE nightmares believe it or not. You get the ones that ring/email, all full of promises and cash, that you wait in all day for, and don't turn up or even ring to cancel. You get the ones that come along, want to ride your bike over the horizon while you hold their empty wallet. You get the ones that turn up to look at your RWB-AT, and say they really wanted a pink one. You get the whingeing tyre kickers that want your pride and joy for £1. You get the Nigerian mother in law, who's cousin will send you a cheque for £1million pound, if you send them a cheque for the change of your £1500 AT.

All I can say is, that bike was probably NOT FOR YOU. There are more out there, and I promise you will definitely find a shiney black one (they're slow, uneconomical, unreliable, and most people just dump them in rivers) and the one you eventually buy WILL BE THE RIGHT ONE.

Honestly, keep an eye on the FOR SALE part of the forum, keep posting up your WANTED ad, and you will get one, and you will love it.

Keep yer chin up mate, don't let it get you down OK. :toothy4:

Cheers

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Oh and another thing...

Datsun... Max Byegraves... and wanting a Black AT (when it's obvious that RWB are much better!!)

Come on here moaning again, and we're gonna come down to the South Coast and whooop yer a$$! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! :rolleyes:

(Whereabouts on the South Coast are you???)

Bob :happy7:

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
There will be a FAST Black 2003 Africa Twin in the for sale section next week.:thumbup:

Yes - Annette's @ is moving on - keep an eye out next week. :p

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
My experience ,I just sold the Yamaha 900 working great the buyer turns up and the ecu fails.:confused: turns over no spark.:(

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Sympathise regards the travelling bit etc, but I always remember a little saying -

"If it's meant for you, it'll not pass you by"

Small conciliation I know, but i find it does help keep the blood pressure down.

Book a councilling session with Steve C to find some karma, thats bound to help :D

Good hunting

PS - RWB is a far better colour scheme

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
if the seller was happy to scr**w you on taking someone else's deposit with telling you first, chances are that there were things you weren't told about concerning the bike. view it as a lucky escape, in my view. :thumbleft:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
going back to B*W methinks :D
All ready gone Bob:D:D:D:D my silver dream machine is, as we speak, being fettled and farkled to death ready for the Wales trip ;)

datsun fan I believe my infintely better half, Stormforce8, has already sent you a pm about my @

·
Now down under
147 Posts
A guy did nearly the same to me when buying my @. We had agreed that I would come down on the next weekend to buy( cos of work ). A day later I phone for directions etc and he says some bloke has gone to the bank to get the dosh, after having a quick look and ride. Um arr sorry what? Turns out the buyer doesnt come back so I get the bike the next day. Did give the owner a tune up about being decent after giving his word. He was very sorry and was a nice bloke, just wanted the cash in his hand. Bike turned out to be great.

Sorry to hear your guy was a similar t*@t and didnt give a damn when the agreed deal actually went out the window. This type of thing seems to happen more and more I think. No consolation, but you'll find another Im sure. Good luck dude, all the best.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bike shown still for sale on bike trader, I expect there are plenty of calls for it, you cant miss it, 9900 miles for £2400.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Datsun Fan,

Tonbridge ring any bells? I feel quite bad as I am obviously the buyer of this XRV750. I have been in the same situation 2 or 3 times when i have arranged to look at a bike with the intention of buying and someone else grabs it before me! i have been looking for a XRV as me and my mates are going round parts of europe in july, i saw this little minter on biketrader called the guy got the cash and drove up in a hurry.

I must admit this bike is 100% absolutly mint. 9800 miles, FSH and 7 MOT certificates going back to 2000 and only 1 very nice owner from new. I took my XRV to a local bike shop to have it checked and they said it was 1 in a million the bloke even offered me £2800.00 for it there and then!! which is great as once i have done my trip i will want to sell it.

I can see why you are anoyed with the seller and he did mention that the other guy from the coast was getting a bit high rate over the phone, but like he said you dont sell a bike to make friends and i turned up with the doller.

Sorry that i wasted your journey but he gave me the impression you were going to get there for about 5pm - 7pm so i rushed up with the cash.

Im sure there will be more minters like mine to come keep an eye out. If it makes you fell any better its happened to me before and im happy it did as I found this little beauty now!!!

good luck. :thumb:

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
I totally agree with Steve T's comment - that one wasn't for you, it was a bad 'un and best not to get it. A seller like that probably isn't the best kind of person to have on the other end of the deal so you're better off out of it, etc. etc...

And apart from Annette's bike I (which came from came from a good owner and has had tlc lavished on it by said Annette and Stormforce8), I think I heard that Sohoeasy has a ride for sale - unless I misunderstood his post a week or so ago.

So hang in there mate. YOUR bike will be along soon :)

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
Datsun Fan,

Tonbridge ring any bells? I feel quite bad as I am obviously the buyer of this XRV750. I... snip
Congrats on your new bike Tony:thumbright: Sounds great :D

And no way is your lovely new bike jinxed. No way. The Witches Of The South Coast haven't got enough power to jinx a bike that's all minty and wonderful...

or have they?

:angel12:

Just kidding...:D
Welcome :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think its time to put this thread to sleep. tony as your selling this bike after your euro trip you could give datsun fan a bell and give him first dibs!!! its good that in this short thread we have seen the ill feeling that one greedy [email protected] can bring to a group of decent people and hopefully avoid it. steve c there are many wikken in the forest. and they are very active.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts