·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 590 miles two up I have to say I will be stopping with the VFR

Good bits

1 It did pull a little better than vfr

Bad bits

1 I'm not that tall it was a bit of a pig just getting in & out garage car parks etc

2 The wife said it was to big to get on and of kept kicking the boxes

3 Tank range not that good 160 miles to light on around 22Lts every time I filled up

4 Ground clearance very poor unless am to fat?

5 every time I stopped & I put a foot down I could feel the wife's feet on the back of my legs

6 1st time I have looked foreword to parking a bike up at the end of a trip

So sorry to all Vara riders and back to plan A 700 Transalp

G

·
I will be the first to admit it and probably not the last. The vara is a bike you either love or hate. I personally love mine and have ridden a fair few bikes over the past ten years. I don't know whether a bike chooses its owner or the proposed owner chooses it. In my case the vara choose me. Being 6ft6 and was 21st when I bought the bike it stood head and shoulders above everything else that was for sale in Thunderroad at the time. I have ridden it to Scotland and back a fair few times, done Belgium and France last September. I find it great two up or solo riding. Petrol consumption seems to vary from rider to rider. I get 220 miles from fill up to light on and occasionally get difficulty reversing it out of certain parking spaces. If it ain't for you, it ain't for you. The VFR is a very nice bike but bikes are like marmite, you either love it or hate it.
Regards
Greg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6ft 6 has got to help I am only 5ft 8 but fairly fit and strong and I was hoping it would suit me better as I do like em

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i love my big fat black bertha,
i also get 160ish commuting, but 250+ on a long trip. i expect any vehicle to use quite a lot on my commute, only 3.5mi of fast town riding, handfuls of throttle with handfuls of brake, repeated over and over again.
on a long blast down the french autoroutes its a different story, cruising at 80/90 for hours at a time loaded up. the bike just shrugs it off, loading it up makes no difference to it.

if you didnt get on with the vara then ok, you had a go mate. (i like the 'marmite' allusion!) there are trailies, big trailies, and GIANT trailies, you cant please all the people all the time. i cant get on with sports bikes for instance, my knees wont take it.
one thing i will say, im 6'2" and 18st and if you found the ground clearance poor then theres something wrong with the bike you were riding! perhaps the preload was wound out too far? im a fat knacker so i have it wound in 2 clicks for solo riding (and have the rear tyre pumped up to "loaded" pressure!) and a couple more when im loaded up

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
6ft 6 has got to help I am only 5ft 8 but fairly fit and strong and I was hoping it would suit me better as I do like em
i got to use one to go to the national and was well impressed by it
i'm 5'6" and could handle it ok,just found it a touch heavy and after a steady run got 248 miles before the fuel warning light came on
and on a fast run home found it cruised at 100 plus no problem
in all found it an excellent bike and was well impressed with it and if it was about 60-70 pounds lighter i'd have one tomorrow

:cool::cool::cool:

·
Frodo's Half brother
1,215 Posts
Well It is a love or hate thing I suppose and I've just got back from a trip to Russia - it was great although we didn't get to do the whole route because of 1) breakdowns (not mine but a CBF600 and a VFR) and 2) road quality in Russia - fine for the vara but not the VFR nor the CBF.

I do like the VFR and on the Autobahns it was in it's element but Id still settle for the Vara - especially after the miles I did on here earlier this month - MIle after mile in comfort, no tech issues and a a big grin - can't ask for more than that....

:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well my big mouth chose it for me :rolleyes:

"That's a cracking bike mate, if you are ever selling it give me first refusal" --"Well actually I have just been posted back to Aus and can't take it with me, want to put your money where your mouth is?"

Never even so much as sat on it, at 1.78m & 73kg I really had no idea :withstupid: what I had done till I went for a first ride :happy9: , I am collecting stickers for every carpark where I have dropped her, God bless Motech bars!

Now I feel lost if I have to put her into the shop for more than a day, weird :confused:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Definitely Marmite,
I aint the tallest, slimmest, fittest....
but one of the happiest,
I think the dero chose me, I had the choice between the AT or a Dereitoffroad, I had no plans of doing the silk route I wanted a big bike for touring where I sat upright, I went for the Dero without trying anything else.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Well at least you gave it a fair go, Blue! The VFR is a hard act to follow. I loved mine and sold it only because the suspension didn't agree with me. The Transalp could be a good option so long as you can live with its performance when two-up with luggage.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Only remarking that after a VFR and Vara, the TA might feel a little down on power when loaded. It can certainly cruise all day two-up with luggage; if Blue is used to caning it (160 miles to fuel light!?!?!?!) he might be disappointed.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
fair play - at least you can say you gave it a goodly test ride!!

whole point is you ride the bike you like!

enjoy hichever you get - and keep us posted!

Z:D

·
Registered
170 Posts
I got my first Vara in 1999 after 4 Africa Twins (underpowered) I then got a second VFR cos It's damn good and after two years with that, got another Vara and then another Vara and I'm now on Vara number 4. Can't really fault it. 230 miles to light,comfy, off road ability albeit hard tracks,will keep with the sports sh1te on the narrow twisties and always puts a smile on my face. I'm 6' 3" and overweight. :thumbright:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts