Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a strange one...

When I start the bike on the side stand and use choke the bike idols around 1200rpm,
BUT if i lean the Bike over untill it’s level then the revs climb to 2500-3000rpm.

This only happens with the choke on.

when I’m moving the bike on or off the side stand the handle bars or cables or not moving.

Has anybody had this issue before?

Any ideas ?

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have you had any work done on the carbs? is it running on both cylinders initially on the side stand ?If you lean it the opposite way do the revs go down again ?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you had any work done on the carbs? is it running on both cylinders initially on the side stand ?If you lean it the opposite way do the revs go down again ?
I cleaned the carbs and I’m sure everything was done right, but of course it’s possible I did something wrong.

Yes it’s running on both cylinders

And if you lean it over more it stays at high revs, the revs only drop when the Bike is leaning to the left

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

·
Administrator
1,779 Posts
You've probably thought of this already, but anyway....... when you lean the bike over are you turning the 'bars? if so could the choke and/or throttle cables be too tight?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You've probably thought of this already, but anyway....... when you lean the bike over are you turning the 'bars? if so could the choke and/or throttle cables be too tight?
I have checked this but il check again tomorrow,

When the Bike leans over the bars are not moving,

It’s possible the cables are tighten due to the difference in suspension travel on and off the side stand. Il check this properly tomorrow

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So today I checked the choke cable and throttle cables for movement when the Bike moves from the side stand up to vertical, there was absolutely no movement in any of the cables.

I’m out of ideas and have no clue what else it could be...

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Like the others, my first though was choke cables pulling tight. If it only does it with the choke on, then it has to be the choke mechanism somewhere. Have you tried disconnecting the choke cable at the bars, put the bike on the sidestand, then pull the cables by hand. Fix them in the choke-on position with a bulldog clip or similar, make certain the cable outers aren't tight, then put the bike upright. If it still does it, it wasn't the bars pulling the choke cable. If it doesn't, it was. Better still, disconnect the cables entirely and just pull the inners to put the choke on. Fix them with clips at the carb end (fiddly, I know), then try again.

I did wonder if could it be the carb float height set wrongly, and the lean angle on the sidestand making it worse, but that doesn't explain why it only does it to one side. Clutching at straws a bit, as the cables seem the most obvious cause. If you are still stumped, it might be worth taking the tank off and rigging up a temporary fuel supply, so that you can see what the cables are doing as you lean it. If you can't reason it out, then elimination is the only way. Good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i would go through the carbs again if things were ok b4 and now you are experiencing these issues i would start there you could try tapping the float bowls whilst experiencing the problem i dont think it is that but you cant lose anything ...good luck

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like the others, my first though was choke cables pulling tight. If it only does it with the choke on, then it has to be the choke mechanism somewhere. Have you tried disconnecting the choke cable at the bars, put the bike on the sidestand, then pull the cables by hand. Fix them in the choke-on position with a bulldog clip or similar, make certain the cable outers aren't tight, then put the bike upright. If it still does it, it wasn't the bars pulling the choke cable. If it doesn't, it was. Better still, disconnect the cables entirely and just pull the inners to put the choke on. Fix them with clips at the carb end (fiddly, I know), then try again.

I did wonder if could it be the carb float height set wrongly, and the lean angle on the sidestand making it worse, but that doesn't explain why it only does it to one side. Clutching at straws a bit, as the cables seem the most obvious cause. If you are still stumped, it might be worth taking the tank off and rigging up a temporary fuel supply, so that you can see what the cables are doing as you lean it. If you can't reason it out, then elimination is the only way. Good luck.

At the moment I have been testing the bike with a external fuel tank so I can see what’s going on,

Il try what your saying and remove the choke cable and pull them manually, and see what happens.

As for the carb, nothing there is effected by the angle of the bike.

Il try the cables again and keep you updated.

Thanks !!!

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
As for the carb, nothing there is effected by the angle of the bike. Il try the cables again and keep you updated.
Fuel level is affected by the angle of the carb. And fuel level affects how much of it is getting into the carbs.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
SOLVED ! I found the problem yesterday, I was indeed the float night, One float was perfect (7mm) and the other was low (5mm) Thanks for everyone’s input, very much appreciated!
So... Fuel level does matter, right?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
According to my local motorcycle mechanic “nothing inside the carbs is effect by the angle of the bike” haha, now I have learned different...

89 HRC Africa Twin 650
Well, whoever wrote that obviously never dropped a 1970s Honda twin at the traffic lights, listened to the engine revs go screaming high, then melt the sleeve of their brand new jacket on the pipes trying to reach the ignition switch under the tank.:( Yes, it still hurts.

Actually, they are strictly correct; provided the float height is correct, reasonable lean angles shouldn't affect the revs. But if the fuel level is low, it certainly will. As you found out. And you never know when that will come in useful.....;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts